Best tires for ST1300 in 2022

How does it handle ?
I like it. it's not better or worse, just different. it does standup a little quicker comin out of a turn. I did it because I was tired of changing tires at 7k miles.....
20,000 miles for $100 or 7,000 miles for $280.... the math was simple

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Don't let the math confuse you....
What IF the Honda R&D folks may have done their math so the rear tire(s) would be changed at approximately 10,000 times, so the splines were cleaned and the correct moly paste were re-applied etc.
It would be a shame to find out your math of 20k miles for $100 dollars, turned into needing to replace the rear spline plate and/or driveshaft assembly, from neglect, and not servicing it regularly enough...just something to think about ;)
You may want to consider removing your rear tire half way through, and servicing your splines etc.

Don't let the math confuse you....
What IF the Honda R&D folks may have done their math so the rear tire(s) would be changed at approximately 10,000 times, so the splines were cleaned and the correct moly paste were re-applied etc.
It would be a shame to find out your math of 20k miles for $100 dollars, turned into needing to replace the rear spline plate and/or driveshaft assembly, from neglect, and not servicing it regularly enough...just something to think about ;)
You may want to consider removing your rear tire half way through, and servicing your splines etc.
I'm actually going to change and service this winter. I got tired of changing rears in Sept for that last good ride.... also run a Valkyrie and these things are a lot easier in the rear than the Valkyrie!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I'm actually going to change and service this winter. I got tired of changing rears in Sept for that last good ride.... also run a Valkyrie and these things are a lot easier in the rear than the Valkyrie!
That depends on what product you use on the splines.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
having over 60,000 miles on my Valk I am up to date on the Spline lube process....
That comment was not aimed at you, it goes without saying Valk owners understand spline issues, it was directed at folks who think they can put a car tire on their ST and not think about it for 20,000 miles or more.

Bike
2005 ST1300A
Hello! I am updating this topic with a question addressed to Bridgestone T32GT owners.. With what cold pressure, have you noticed that this tire behaves best. I ask because I notice differences of 0.3 bar between cold and hot..

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Hello! I am updating this topic with a question addressed to Bridgestone T32GT owners.. With what cold pressure, have you noticed that this tire behaves best. I ask because I notice differences of 0.3 bar between cold and hot..
I have never tried these tires, so I won't recommend a best pressure.

Regarding the 0.3 bar (about 4 PSI) pressure difference, that is a very small pressure differential between cold and hot tires.
What do you mean by hot? After what riding conditions? I will assume that cold means before the motorcycle has been ridden.
I ask because the pressure of most tires can increase significantly more than that between cold and hot. Pressure increases of more than 0.7 bar (about 10 PSI) is not uncommon at all.

Bike
ST1300A8
I have tire pressure sensors on the valves.
Cold-2.9bar
In very warm midsummer weather, they sometimes show 3.5 bar when driving very fast.

greetings holm

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I must be the only person who rides an ST and sets all tires, car tire or bike tire, front or back, to 40 psi. Every tire, every time.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
There is a theory that says your tires should increase in pressure by about 10% as they heat up.

If you set one to 40 psi cold, and it increases by more than 4 psi, you should set it higher cold.

Thus, if cold is 45, and it increases to 49.5, you're just right; if it goes higher, then start higher.

Bike
2008 ST1300
There is a theory that says your tires should increase in pressure by about 10% as they heat up.

If you set one to 40 psi cold, and it increases by more than 4 psi, you should set it higher cold.

Thus, if cold is 45, and it increases to 49.5, you're just right; if it goes higher, then start higher.
I've had good (performance) using this method, and Dave Moss Tuning gets into good detail about it in some of his setup videos. I'm often too lazy to figure it out and just use manufacturers recommendation, and drop a few psi if I'm riding hard, it's below 45°f, or I have a squirrely moment where a tire pushes.

I also only get about 3k miles out of tires on an ST 13, pretty uniformly at the bars across the back, and front a little better but not much. She's a big girl and if you ride her hard, the rubber wears quickly. My poor mileage makes me understand the urge to darkside, but I'm a fairly fast rider and haven't been willing to deviate that far from the original design.

I replaced the rear OEM tire (seems like it was a BT 020 or something like that) with a T32 GT and set my tires to 42 psi before I go ride. It feels like so much more grip than the tire it replaced. I have a new T32 GT front that I will have installed soon and let you know how it goes. Right now I am running 40 psi cold in the existing front as it is still the OEM one. I have never check pressures after a ride to see how much they increase but will soon and I'll try to post on here.

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I also only get about 3k miles out of tires on an ST 13, pretty uniformly at the bars across the back, and front a little better but not much.
You didn't mention the brand of tire, but if you are only getting 3k per tire you must be seriously smokin' em at the local dragstrip or you're running some sort of China tires. The worst tire I ever run in the worst conditions got 8.5k.

Hello.
Besides the OEM Bridgestone BATTLAX BT-020, I have been considering the newer models however - Bridgestone BATTLAX T32 GT, Dunlop RoadSmart 4
Has anyone replaced tires on their ST1300 recently? Which brand/model you went with and are you happy with your selection?
Thank you.
I have put on the shinko verge. I love these tires. They are half the price of all the major brands and are great handling tires. I have these on my CTX 1300 also.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Recommended tire pressure is always a "cold" setting. The manufacturers take into consideration the increase in air pressure as the tire temperature rises. I think the St1300 would get the best tire performance and longevity at the recommended pressure of 42lbs, as stated in the manual.
Tire longevity is determined mostly by tire air pressure, suspension condition, riding style and the road conditions.
The best tire for others may not be the best tire for you.
I don't put many miles on my bike so I haven't used many tires/brands so far. Bridgestone tires are good quality and reasonably priced. They also seem to wear very well. I'll probably get around 15,000kms on my set of T31's but to be honest, I'm far from an aggressive rider. :)

Top Bottom