Best tires for ST1300 in 2022

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Two things:

1. There are two types of questions that lead to threads that aren't typically very useful: "What's the best oil", and "what's the best tire?"
2. Almost literally any tire you can buy today that will fit is superior than tires from 10 years ago.
3. What I like and what I care about isn't what others like or care about. The roads around here might eat up tires and I might be a more aggressive rider so mileage reports are almost literally useless. I encourage you to review the many, many threads on tires. If you find you get similar mileage to another rider, sometimes you can use their experience as useful data. Just as often not. :-(
1. Hello, long time no see.
2.The question (appeared to me) to be best tire for 2022.
3. I'm glad he made a choice so I could now tell him without guilt, "Better hurry, 2022 is winding up quickly!".
$. It's all good. (haha the $ was a capitalized4 accident!!)

Bike
2008 ST1300
UPDATE:
Bridgestone Battlax T32 GT. (installed 2021). 7336 miles
Bridgestone Battlax T32 GT. (installed 2022). 8509 miles

Looks like I might be going back to Dunlop Roadsmarts.
What kind of riding and pressure are you running to get that mileage? I can barely get 4k out of anything on the ST.

Bike
2008 ST1300
T31GT rear. Handled well the whole time until the puncture. Just at the wear bar, both middle and left side. Apparently I don't tax the tires as much in right handers as much, still about 1mm to the edge bar. 3,037 miles! Yikes. Front is a little over half worn, but getting lumpy off to the sides, mostly left.IMG_20221020_143433636.jpg

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Dunlop BT46 on front, 29,851 miles. The rear has 45,972 miles but nobody needs to see a picture of a BF Goodrich car tire.

F1CDC380-D9E2-4BD9-81F9-55195C8FE524.jpeg

Bike
2008 ST1300
I take it I'm the problem, lol. The ST will push an impressive pace in the twisties, but I guess 750lbs tax the tires pretty hard when you're out crushing it.

Dunlop BT46 on front, 29,851 miles. The rear has 45,972 miles but nobody needs to see a picture of a BF Goodrich car tire.

F1CDC380-D9E2-4BD9-81F9-55195C8FE524.jpeg
Does your front brake not work? Are your numbers in kilometers? I don't know anything about the Dunlop BT tires, but that mileage is impressive. If the rubber on the tire is that hard, does it have any grip?

Only that the T32GT's still feel like new at the end, while the RS 3's you could feel that they were done, grip wise wet and dry, at the end.
Thanks for passing along the info. I am needing a new set of tires for my ST 1300 and like to consider all of my options with as much data to base my decision on as possible. Please let us know how the RS4s perform, traction wise, compared to the others once you have a chance to test them.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have been through all of the generations of Bridgestone with many pairs of BT020 F rated tyres.
We ride two up, fully loaded, not particularly aggressive, but probably a bit harsh with the throttle. 5000 miles has been pretty standard, with the centres wearing before the outsides. Rear faster than front, but I change them both at the same time.

Since the T32 GTs came out I have stuck with them (including the T30 and T31s - all GT spec. They ride beautifully, feel superb on the road and wear well and evenly. Loads of grip and inspire confidence in the twisties. I get a fraction more than the BT020s, but it is not worth mentioning - even though I just have. So 5,000 miles is about what I get.

Many people get more than me - from reading the reports. In fact I don't think I have seen anyone report only 5000 miles for a set of any tyre. I used to get 12,000 miles on my 1100 with the old ply Exedras. It dropped to about 8,000 as soon as I fitted radial BT020s to the 1100. It dropped again with the 1300, quicker turning, more power and acceleration, much more powerful brakes. 5000 miles is still the norm for me through all the 020s and T30-T32, and that rate of wear caught me out a couple of times. The BT021 and 023 were not very impressive and for me wore quickly and unevenly.

I have edited this bit as it is not very often mentioned when comparing tyre wear

Tyre wear is very difficult to compare, unless people can quote their loaded weight, style of riding, type of road, road surface etc etc. Since you say you used BT020, I thought this might be a useful comparison as for me, there is only a marginal improvement in tyre wear for the T32s over the BT020s. For information, the roads that I ride are not smooth. Many miles are done in the Yorkshire Dales, Derbyshire, North Wales and Scotland on the quieter roads - B roads and less used A roads. They don't often have the racetrack tarmac surface that we have on the motorways and main roads. These roads and are often resurfaced with tar and chippings. They have many bends, rises and falls so visibility of the road and traffic ahead is not good which means constant acceleration and deceleration.

Eg- this is a satnav speed profile of a 35 mile section of a ride that I took yesterday.

1666508739234.png

Variations due to some traffic, speed limits in villages, but mainly due to the shape of the road.

And an elevation profile of the same ride.

1666508946462.png

The heights of hills is not very much compared to the great continental mountains - but they are relentless - up and down, up and down. For comparison, the Tour de France spent two days in Yorkshire, cycling these roads. I think that the riders underestimated them - I have never seen riders at the end of a tour stage looking so absolutely worn out.

The first 10 miles of this route in the profile above seems to be a fairly level bit of road, just undulating between 500 and 700 feet above sea level. But you keep going up and down and in the 10 miles at the start there is a total of about 700ft of climbing and descent. They tend to be sudden sharp climbs and descents with poor visibility of the road ahead. They often require a bit of grunt or use of the brakes. That has to take its toll on the tread of the tyres when loaded compared to the major roads that I could have taken - where a speed of 50-60mph can be maintained with little use of brakes and throttle.

Last edited:
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
...Since the T32 GTs came out I have stuck with them .... They ride beautifully, feel superb on the road and wear well and evenly. Loads of grip and inspire confidence in the twisties...
I don't have a ST, but I can verify that the feel of the T32s on my bike are just what jfheath describes. The T32s have become my favorite tires.

Chris

Bike
St1300PA
Does your front brake not work? Are your numbers in kilometers? I don't know anything about the Dunlop BT tires, but that mileage is impressive. If the rubber on the tire is that hard, does it have any grip?
I would love to see a picture of your rear tire, and how does the bike feel and handle with it ?

Bike
St1300PA
Hello.
Besides the OEM Bridgestone BATTLAX BT-020, I have been considering the newer models however - Bridgestone BATTLAX T32 GT, Dunlop RoadSmart 4
Has anyone replaced tires on their ST1300 recently? Which brand/model you went with and are you happy with your selection?
Thank you.
pirellis angel GT I lost track of how many sets I put on, last July I couldn’t get another set in time so bridgestones 32 gt when on, I can’t say there bad but the pirellis give a smoother ride. Just my two cents

Bike
2007 ST1300
I installed a set of Michelin Road 6's, GT in the rear, standard up front. I love them! I hade the BT020 before and these are so much stickier. I live in the Pacific Northwest, it rains here a lot, and I ride all year around. Wet weather traction was a priority. So far, these are fantastic. Pricy, but worth every penny for my confidence and security on the road.

Bike
05 ST1300
I put a Michelin Road 5 GT on the front this summer. Put about 7k miles on it and it performs really well. Likely about half done, just starting to hum when I go into a curve, a bit of cupping starting, not as bad as the 4’s. I’m not one to push my tires in the rain, but I did encounter a lot of rain this year and it never caused me to pucker, so I’ll give it 5 stars for in the rain.
have you considered going Darkside?20221014_113034.jpg
I run a Darkside on the back (4th one), so I can’t comment on any of the rears mentioned above, except the Dark ones of course. But let’s leave that for a different thread, don’t want to derail this one.

Top Bottom