George's Spring Trip 2010

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Very cool... what is the statue about? Any info on that?

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Great pictures and thanks for posting for those of us desk bound envious types.

Glad to hear the 3 amigos are doing well and having fun.

Didn't recoginze George without the stitch. But it looks warm out there.

Raouf

Digiamo

Come play with us, Danny......
Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Thanks for the update guys!! Great pictures and it looks like you guys are having a blast!! :beer3: Enjoy and keep us posted!! Ride safe and we will see you guys soon!! :bigpop: I do have one question George, what are those balls you are carrying on the back of your bike now??????? I saw them in the new pictures and was just wondering!!! :D

:usflag1:
Those balls were our Muy Cajones mascots until we rolled into Tecolutla.
I was off the bike and when I saw the great kids I tossed the rubber balls to them imediately. They absotulely fell in love with us.
I miss them already.

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
Very cool... what is the statue about? Any info on that?
Best we could make out from the little common language is that it is in honor of the orange pickers.
We made a difficult U-Turn to get set up for that shot.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Best we could make out from the little common language is that it is in honor of the orange pickers.
We made a difficult U-Turn to get set up for that shot.
Thanks!!!

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Danny has me beat on the posts this AM. I just posted a couple of early morning pics at the Friday coffee thread.

We gotta find b'kfast and then to the Suz. dealer to see if they can quickly sort his problems. Low gas mileage and backfiring on run-off. Any suggestions?

My Picasa album is back-seat right now but I'll get to it soon. Great wi-fi here at the Fiesta-Inn.

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Those balls were our Muy Cajones mascots until we rolled into Tecolutla.
I was off the bike and when I saw the great kids I tossed the rubber balls to them imediately. They absotulely fell in love with us.
I miss them already.
You miss the kids? or the balls? :)

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
PopJack, there are tres amigos on this trip tho only one SPOT. Danny and Steve are having just as much fun as I, and that's a lot.
No doubt George. The good news is that I have enough envy for all three of you, plus a couple more!

I've had limited experience in Mexico on business trips- I found it a great country full of great people. I'd love to do the trip you are doing some day! The tres amigos are really inspiring!

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Danny has me beat on the posts this AM. I just posted a couple of early morning pics at the Friday coffee thread.

We gotta find b'kfast and then to the Suz. dealer to see if they can quickly sort his problems. Low gas mileage and backfiring on run-off. Any suggestions?

My Picasa album is back-seat right now but I'll get to it soon. Great wi-fi here at the Fiesta-Inn.
Don't know enough about the V-Strom's fuel injection system yet however might want to check with these guys http://www.stromtrooper.com/ Glad you are all having fun and enjoying your trip. Lots of folks are following this saga. Good luck, have fun, and see you when you all get back.

Digiamo

Bike
Suzuki DL650
STOC #
We are off to breakfast and then the local Suzuki dealer to see if we can address Steves backfiring and low mileage issue.
Hopefully it is not a major problem.
Then we plan to head east to Belize.
Not much talk of the violence near the border. We did hear a shot and thought we'd have a tale to tell but it turned out to be Steve's bike backfiring. :)
Much of the news the USA is getting is sensationalized according to the locals here.
Only one time did we get a warning to NOT go into an area. We took the advice, obviously.
That was near Naranjas north of Vera Cruz where we were looking for a beach campsite.
That same fellow let us use his cow pasture for a free night. He turned down our offer of cash saying he has too much already.
Great people.

Last edited:
Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Thanks for the updates and pics, you guys.
Enjoy your breakfast - buen provecho!

Rubber side down - que tengan cuidado! (Be careful!)

Patty

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
With a big guy, heavy load, and high speed running, low 40's mpg isn't all that bad for a DL1000.

On the backfiring at slowdown, could be bad gas, poorly seated TB's, or idle might be set too low, if it's not a dirty or leaky air cleaner. The TB's can and usually are blown off by backfiring, re-seat and tighten clamps properly.

When's the last time he checked his air cleaner? Is it getting plugged? Is the cleaner gasket and all that stuff sealing properly? Easy to get the air filter in wrong, esp OEM filters.

If idle is under 1200, increase it to that. (Idle too low wouldn't normally cause backfiring as much as stalling at slowdown after a long run though.)

Also, make sure he doesn't have any loose or cracked vacuum lines.

Backfiring also can be caused by a burnt exhaust valve, but then he'd have a lot more symptoms than just that.

Good luck at the dealer!

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Backfiring = lean mixture???

Throttlebody boot was loose? Are you positive it is corrected? Any chance of a hole or tear?

Good Luck!

Either George or Danny, are you giving him a little Honda jab? :D

Top Bottom