Has anyone here on the forum caught the Coronavirus yet?

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I went to the Philippines on a mission trip a couple years ago. The group shares the Gospel with men and women in jails and prisons. The overcrowding is incredible and the sanitary conditions are worse than Uncle Phil's outhouse. Anyway, on mission trips, it isn't uncommon for me to get my digestive tract out of sync.

Anyway, we went to this large prison. I forgot my TP in the room, and collected whatever the others had which wasn't much at all. I found the toilet. An outhouse would've been preferrable. There was a toilet. No seat. No running water. That toilet was used by hundreds of men...and never cleaned. Anyway, I used it and used some water from a bucket to flush it.

Right after I finished, my friend Mark also had to desperately use the toilet. This time, there was no TP. Just a left hand. And that bucket of water.
Kind of like squatting on the rice paddy dike taking a dump with momma san.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Though properly I am described as a city boy or better as a military brat my family went on summer family vacations to visit our country cousins who did not yet have indoor plumbing. I think I could hold it for a good 5 or 6 days before having to visit the outhouse.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
The wife came home from work (high school teacher) early, with early signs of a fever.
Day 2. I have no symptoms, whisky supply still good.

The wife is hot/cold/hot/cold, but no cough. Good job, otherwise she'd be wanting a hot toddie - we'd be in real trouble then.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Being raised a true Tennessee Hillbilly, I did not experience the joy of indoor plumbing in our house until I was in the first grade (we moved to a city farm).
You ain't lived until you've taken a bath in grey water in a number 5 washtub with lye soap! :biggrin:

Bike
VStrom 650
IT'S NOW OFFICIALLY A CRISIS OF SOME MAGNITUDE!
They've only gone and closed the bloody pubs :eek:.
Upt'North :well1:.
Even worse, I might have to watch repeats on the BEEB when I stay in :doh1:. Or talk to Er'Indoors on a Saturday Night instead of going to the boozer :nuke1:.

• Wow
Reactions: Obo

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
IT'S NOW OFFICIALLY A CRISIS OF SOME MAGNITUDE!
They've only gone and closed the bloody pubs :eek:.
Upt'North :well1:.
Even worse, I might have to watch repeats on the BEEB when I stay in :doh1:.
Relax my good man.

Boris emphatically told people to only travel if necessary, and not to car pool. Supermarkets etc remain open.

You can fit a good amount of alcohol into an ST, and it's an excuse to not be at home. Heck, even in a group ride, most would be at least 2m apart naturally.

Bike
VStrom 650
Relax my good man.

Boris emphatically told people to only travel if necessary, and not to car pool. Supermarkets etc remain open.

You can fit a good amount of alcohol into an ST, and it's an excuse to not be at home. Heck, even in a group ride, most would be at least 2m apart naturally.
Thank you AdHom, I feel better for that. A bit......
Upt'North.

STOC #
I’m really dating myself (snip) :) The 40 yard path to the little “house” through 18” of snow was a narrow one-way. By the time you got there you sometimes forgot why you ventured out. Grampa and Gramma got to use a “thundermug” (which was my brother‘s and my job to empty).:eek:

Herein ends today’s history lesson.

John
John,
Here's a photo of an Arkansas thone...

Attachments

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
You know that is a 2fer... ride to buy and escape SWMBO at the same time! :D
It's my favourite interpretation of "social distancing"

"Sorry love, I HAVE to go for a ride, we need, err, stuff.... and I have to keep my distance from folk..."

If only we weren't isolating because she's a teacher & was unwell. Still, 12 days to go. I'm not counting, honest.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
This is me at the country cousin's house saying "in about 50 years I'm getting one of those ST1300s, right now I'm liking this hot bath!"

IMG_3603.JPG

If so, perhaps you (or your executor) could share your experience with the rest of us - what was it like, what were the first indications to cause you to think you had it, how long did it take to get over it, etc.

Michael
Well, FWTW, I went through an influenza epidemic along the northern provinces of Thailand and Cambodia in 1979-80 that killed 7-8k of the locals. it got me into a clinic that was like a GP Large canvas tent where we were all in something like jungle hammocks. I did okay because the locals took all the kids and tasked them with looking after one or two people. I got buckets of pepper/chicken soup and quarts of Sig Hi beer and flushed the fever. But the thing i remember is that I was never left alone. My Dad, West Point '44, will be 98 this October. I can't visit him. He is alone. Offer your payers for all the oldies that are so frail. thanks

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
No, not yet, but it keeps marching ever closer.

My nephew was sent home from work today and told to self-isolate because someone in the building has symptoms.

My neighbour is in self-isolation as well but no symptoms.

My sister, who is a nurse in Los Angeles, was told that one of the nurses may be infected- waiting for test results. This is particularly concerning because she is asthmatic.

We humans arrogantly act as though we rule the world and are in control of everything in it.
A small organism, that is imperceptible to us, comes along and happily and effectively ignores our claims of superiority.

Top Bottom