hey just noticed dunlop coming out with the "RoadSmart"

I just put a set of road smarts on my 07. Ihave 1500 mi on so far. Little more time and i will know more on wear. they handle great. I only got 4000 out of my last 220"s. This is my fourth set of tires. Bill

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
I guess I'm playing it safe, Putting Avon Storms on, pulling 021's off.
TTThhhhhaaaaannnnkkkks, we'll give a long leash
Oh crap, baaaaaaaaa-a-a-a-a-a-ahhhh or is it bleat? I hope I don't have to run around enough to need the long leash.

Actually I'm getting nervous too from my poor experiences with Dunlops non all out sport tires from before.

However, Warchild and Bill, mucho appreciated feedback.... flick your tails three times if the Lion comes and bleat us know, I mean let us know he's shown his face. :D :yes:

They look a bit more Avon like in the tread pattern. Pricing is more of an issue down here, as tyres like the Z6 are relatively expensive compared to the Avons, even though in the US the prices are similar. I hope the new Dunlops are sharpley priced.

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
Ok, now this thread is almost four months old. Someone has to have put a fair bit of mileage on their tires by now. My Continental Road Attacks are almost due for replacement and I was thinking Roadsmarts or Avons. I've had the Metzler Z6/880 combo and Road Attacks, so what is the collective's view on the Dunlops? I'd especially like to know what kind of mileage wear people are experiencing.

John

Last edited:

Klackey

Kevin
Bike
2005 ST 1300
Yes, tell us about the Road Attacks too. I am getting close to needing new ones and have not decided on Road attacks/ or RoadSmarts.

I have had: Stock Dunlaps....... wore out when I got them.
Avon Storms.......... good tire... liked them alot but looking for more miles.
Mich PR I.......... ok............. They are fine but out of production.

Last edited:

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
A bit more grist for the mill.

I came across this Test of the RoadSmarts. There's really not much info that applies directly to the ST1300, but I found the graphic of the construction very interesting.

The harder centre section is a raised portion of the first layer, the stickier sides are bonded to the shoulders. I think it could work very well if the tire holds together and the rate of wear suits your style. Comments?

Yogi

Have MC -- Will Travel
Bike
Honda GL1800
STOC #
Now that you have another month under your belt what is your impression? I am probably going to need to order tires ahead in Ohio for my trip in july and have been considering these but I am going to put 2k miles of fwy riding getting back to AZ

Well, then... allow me. :D My RoadSmart experience (so far) has been the following:

When mounting these tires, I found the sidewalls were extremely stiff, almost Bridgestone-like in stiffness, whereas the D220's (which are what the RoadSmarts are replacing in the Dunlop line) had surprisingly pliable sidewalls. Mounting the RoadSmarts took considerable more effort than the D220s.

The RoadSmart front tread design is considerably different than the D220, and one consequence is that the RoadSmart front tire seem to have noticeably more "rolling noise" compared to the D220. But I suspect the new tread design will resist the heavy tendency toward cupping/scalloping that the front D220s were notorious for.

Here's a shot of the RoadSmart treads:

The profile of the RoadSmart appears to be a fair bit more "rounder" than the D220s; the latter had a profile that was a pinch more "triangular" and thus seem to steer a little quicker than the RoadSmarts.

While I don't have a lot of miles on them yet (~ 600), still, I admit I am liking these tires more and more. They offer up a very neutral steering. Their dry grip is phenomenal; feels exceptionally planted and confidence-inspiring whether in high-speed sweepers or the tighter stuff. Turn-ins and transitions are fast and easy, but not quite as fast as the Avons.

It's been a fairly wet winter/early spring, so they have been in the wet several times. The wet grip is very, very good... not quite at the Avon Storm level, but not far behind it!

Bottom line: I like these tires quite a bit. The only remaining variable for me is to see how their treadlife goes.... hopefully, it will be considerably better than the previous Dunlop offering (D220's).

So there's some feedback for ya..... ;)

Byron

STOC #
I just mounted my Roadsmarts this past Saturday. I was running the Avon Storms prior to the Roadsmarts. On my breakin ride up to Newcomb's Ranch I noticed that the turn-in felt different. I can't say for certain they were turning in quicker or sooner than the Storm's but more like once you started the turn you either had the speed to carry you through it or you had to straighten up the bike because it wanted to turn sharper. I might have to back out a little preload with these to get a more neutral feel.

What really took me by surprise was my ride into work today. Normally if I'm cruising 70 - 75 mph the fuel mileage runs 42 - 47 mpg. This morning it was hitting 50 - 55 mpg. Same tank of gas as Saturdays ride but I just wasn't watching the mileage that day. I was also taking it easy and just getting used to the new feel.

I'll have to monitor this over the next few weeks to see if it holds up but, has anyone else noticed a mileage increase after switching to the Roadsmart tire?

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
I had a set of Roadsmarts installed a few days before Moonshine. My initial impressions have been all positive. I have just over 3000 kms on the tires and they have responded favourably. Most of my ride to Casey was through the rain, the wet grip was noticeably better than the previous tires (021's). At the suggestion of the technician I am running the Roadsmarts with nitrogen. The additional cost was $3/tire.

I am hoping to get much better mileage out of this set before the cupping happens (5 k on the 021 front).

I did not notice any difference in fuel economy, however that has probably more to do with the faulty thermostat than the tires.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I keep telling myself not to get involved in any Tire/Oil/Lighting debate. No winners. But I'll break the rule, because my my experience with Dunlop 220 Sportmax has been very positive. I live in the rainy NW, and they have not disappointed me yet. The tire seems to love pressure; min. 41 front, 42 rear. My next set will be different, but till then, I ride secure.

Byron

STOC #
For those that are wonder, I've got a bit over a 1K miles on the Roadsmart's now so here are some observations. After going through sever sets of Avon Storm tires I was near the edges (1/8" or a little more) but after 2 days I was definitely at the edge on the rear of the Roadsmart. Even at this I was not dragging any parts so I will write it off a a profile difference in the tires. It seems like the Roadsmart is a bit more sensitive to rain grooves and will dance a little but not what I would call excessive. The roll smooth but don't have as much feeling when you roll over things. It's actually go because it's a less twitchy ride when line surfing compared to the Storm. Because of the stiffer sidewall construction when you lean it over in a turn there is no squirm. The tire stays planted and handles irregularities in the roadway without making you feel like you are on the edge of control. They grip very well in the dry (no wet roads for comparison purposes yet) and my confidence scale is up a notch when riding them. Basically, I've found myself going faster through turns with the Roadsmart where I hesitated with the Storm's. Not that they wouldn't have probably done them, it's just that my confidence in them wasn't as high. They do transmit a harsher impulse through the bars when compared to the Storm, which I loved for the softer feeling.

If it helps, my bike came with the D220's which were OK but nothing special. I went to Avon Azaro's and the confidence meter went up a notch. After a couple of sets I moved to the Storm's and the meter went up another notch. I went through about 3 sets of Storm's before mounting the Roadsmart. The confidence meter went up another notch when I did.

My last couple sets of Storm's only went 5K miles or so and I really would like closer to 8K. If the Roadsmart will handle well in the wet and even get close to this mileage it could be my preferred tire. What's interesting is that the Azaro was a dual compound tire and Avon went to a single compound for the Storm. As far as I know the D220's were single compound and now the Roadsmart is a dual compound.

I live close to some decent twisties and try and ride them as much as I can. The only thing I'm afraid of is that like the Azaro's I'll wear out the sides before the centers are shot. Now this isn't a bad thing as long as the mileage isn't to bad.

Later,

Bike
97 Kawasaki ZX6
Ok, newbie here on the board but thought this was a great thread to keep tabs on. I'm shopping for a new set of tires and I think I've narrowed it down to these Road Smarts and the Pirelli Diablo Stradas. I've seen lots of good things on the Road Smarts but seeing as they're pretty new, don't know what kind of mileage to expect. I mainly do straight up hwy. riding to and from work, so mileage is probably the most important factor to me. Any suggestions?

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
I have the STradas on my Bandit, very good tire for real good stick, consistent handling, and decently progressive release.

Hey Brian, if you're still watching this thread at all Bleat...Baaaaaaaaahhhhhahahahic it looks like I'll be the goat before you. I just ordered a set of Roadsmarts for the SV. The goats- I mean guys here who already bought them seem happy with them, good reviews so far.

Bike
07 ST1300A
Ok, newbie here on the board but thought this was a great thread to keep tabs on. I'm shopping for a new set of tires and I think I've narrowed it down to these Road Smarts and the Pirelli Diablo Stradas. I've seen lots of good things on the Road Smarts but seeing as they're pretty new, don't know what kind of mileage to expect. I mainly do straight up hwy. riding to and from work, so mileage is probably the most important factor to me. Any suggestions?

My only experience is with the OEM 020 tires, but I was able to squeek about 19K from the front. Rear seems to last around 8-10K. Like you, I commute, lot of slab miles. My next set may be the Road Smart tires, depending on feedback here.

Northeast Rider

Burden on Society
Bike
ST1300 05'
STOC #
I have the STradas on my Bandit, very good tire for real good stick, consistent handling, and decently progressive release.

Hey Brian, if you're still watching this thread at all Bleat...Baaaaaaaaahhhhhahahahic it looks like I'll be the goat before you. I just ordered a set of Roadsmarts for the SV. The goats- I mean guys here who already bought them seem happy with them, good reviews so far.
Yup,
went with the Avons, only about 500 miles on them now. I was so far gone on the 021's it was night and day leaving the dealers with new tires. Had to re-learn riding the new profile of the Avons. Have not really pushed them, did a few rounds on a cloverleaf exit near the house they feel ok. I'd like to see 10k life from them, and now I can get some feed back from you for the next set, late summer.
Going to Grattan next weekend to run Dunlops, (much lighter bike) so I hope they work for you on the SUV, I mean SV.

Bike
ST1300
Roadsmarts are sticky when wet...I mounted my new Roadsmarts at my old man's yesterday and then road 80 miles home in the rain. They had a good grip all the way in steady rain.

Today I took them for a little spin through the twisties, and they handled markedly better than the 'stones, especially over irregular pavement.

I went through my last set in a little under 5k, so we'll see how these do. If they last 7k or more, I will have found my preferred tire. Especially since the price is right!
To any Minnesotans out there, Good Luck!

Bike
97 Kawasaki ZX6
Well, I placed my order for a set of Roadsmarts today. I'll hopefully have them mounted by next week. Although I'm no motorcycle expert, I will try to provide as good a feedback as I can after riding them for a while.

Top Bottom