hey just noticed dunlop coming out with the "RoadSmart"

Bike
2005 ST1300
I just paid $430.00 to Dallas Honda for a pair of Dunlops Road Smart tires including installation which was $119.00. My old OEM Bridgestones lasted about 12360 miles. I could feel a big difference on the ride home but that's because the old ones were basically flat due to daily commuting.

DFW Honda in Grapevine wanted 450.00 + installation for an older set of of Dunlop 220s.

I'd rather buythe tires online and find a place to have them mounted and balanced. Anyone know of a reputable garage in the North Dallas area?

jim

Al Lamb (Dallas Honda) just installed my new front & rear Road Smarts.

$112.49 front, $134.99 rear along with Nitrogen fill, mounting at $119 and HRCA discount made for a $414 bill.

Not bad imo.

My OEM Dunlops made it to 68xx miles.

Here's to a good life on the new skids.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Roadsmarts on last week. Now have close to 500 miles on them. At this point I will say I like Dunlop once again, after some disappointing mounts in the past. I like these tires so much, so far, that unless the mileage is absolutely pitiful, I am convinced these are "the tires" for the ST1300. Confidence is way up with the roadsmarts after a couple of sets of 020's. Not yet rode in the rain but I am looking forward to it. Besides we need the moisture.
Bigfish

I have just done the first 300km run in on the tyres (ST11). Seems to be really good, have not reached the limits of grip (cool suny day, mostly rough chip roads). Feel is very consistent turn in, not the real eagerness of the Avons/Z6s to flop over, but that is not a negative point. All I need now is rain, some adverse roads and distance to see how they stack up.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Did a 1,300+ mi. weekend on them and have run them locally some more. A few hundred miles on wet roads. I have to say these are the best wet weather sport tour tire I've ridden on traction wise when it's raining.

On the other hand, I have issues with the front tires traction in the dry now for sure. It may be the light bike or whatever. I've slid the front tire twice on good dry road and was shocked to lock up the front during routine emergency braking practice (in fairness a getting hot day with sealer on the blacktop). Upon a retry, fully focused care at the lever produced a successful stop in adequate space, but again, have done identical in the same lot, on pilot powers without issue. All turned out well except a line of lost rubber on the pavement, but I'm becoming a tad concerned.

The back on the other hand is superb, stellar, wonderful, both wet and dry.

They move around a tad on steel bridge grids, but nothing troubling, just less solid than STradas or pilot powers in that regard.

The feel at the contact patch is superb. There was nothing grabby in the slides. The lockup recovered as expected. Again rain traction is a blessing.

Then again this stuff only is showing up getting near the limits of things. The front limit is just less than I would like (and less than what I had with the sport tires). Also I'm the guy who doesn't like OEM BT020s due to similar issues at both ends with them.

So, take it with a grain of salt. We'll see how more miles goes.

Bike
st1300
STOC #
ordered a set from Southwest Moto yesterday & they were delivered today..
Gonna put em on before WeSToc. Sure happy to read these good reviews.

Roadsmarts after 800 miles - just getting better...
Much better than Z6's at apex of turns.
Much better grip than Bridgestones everywhere
Very good wet grip.
The flow through the turns is fantastic.
Now lets see how long they last.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I installed a set of Roadsmarts before I left for Westoc. After 4,000 miles I can say these are the best tires I have had on this bike. About 3,200 miles of the total is high speed highway driving.
- The front tire still looks like new.
- The rear is showing a slight center flat.
- They are quiet
- Transition in the turns is smooth
- Wet traction is very good
Between the slab riding, taking Raven's Total Control Class and about 800 miles of riding twisties in the mountains, I think this trip was the best test that I could apply in less than 2 weeks. I think I found my tire for future use on the ST.

Last edited:
Just put about 2300 miles on the new Roadsmarts, to and fro to Weststoc. I have over 57,000 on my '03 and think these are the best so far. No wet stuff so far but lots of HOT roads. They turn in easy and fast, don't show any wear at all. The key for me is much more confidence in the twistys at speed and loaded. My "Chicken Strips" are smaller than with any previous tires, Metz 880's and Z6's. They were about gone at 9,000 miles or less. Will keep posted on others longevity with the Roadsmarts. I always deal with swmototires, can't beat them for price and delivery.

rbs

Bike
08 ST
STOC #
Well I just replaced the rear RoadSmart and it had 6,100 miles on it. It was well worn into the wear bars but iif one was inclined to ride the tread off it probably would have made it to 7,000 miles.

Certainly not as much as hoped for but better than other tires I have tried. I have a second one on now and will leave Tuesday for Fairbanks, so will wear it out also before I get home.

The front tire still looks real good so expect it to last until this rear one wears out.

All of our miles have been two up and towing a trailer that weighs around 400# loaded. I'm sure we would get better mileage out of the tires if we were not towing the trailer. Also around 75% of the trip this far has been straight roads, with few curves.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well I just replaced the rear RoadSmart and it had 6,100 miles on it. It was well worn into the wear bars but iif one was inclined to ride the tread off it probably would have made it to 7,000 miles.

Certainly not as much as hoped for but better than other tires I have tried. I have a second one on now and will leave Tuesday for Fairbanks, so will wear it out also before I get home.

The front tire still looks real good so expect it to last until this rear one wears out.

All of our miles have been two up and towing a trailer that weighs around 400# loaded. I'm sure we would get better mileage out of the tires if we were not towing the trailer. Also around 75% of the trip this far has been straight roads, with few curves.
How do they match up to the other tires you've tried, better or worse? 2-up w/trailer is above what most do here?

rbs

Bike
08 ST
STOC #
How do they match up to the other tires you've tried, better or worse? 2-up w/trailer is above what most do here?
I probably got an aditional 2k out of them. Although I have never tracked my tire milage all that close, but I do know I only got around 4k out of the last rear tire. It was a Dunlop D220.

I'm trying to keep the trailer tongue as light as possible and still have stability. If it's too light it will wobble. So have been running around 35 to 40#, and vary little in the bike side bags and top box.

I believe that towing a trailer puts stress on your rear tire during take off and that probably contributes the most to excess wear. But thats just an opinion.

I'll watch this new one and if it has the same wear rate I'll call ahead and order a tire.

Will post the results of the second tire.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I probably got an aditional 2k out of them. Although I have never tracked my tire milage all that close, but I do know I only got around 4k out of the last rear tire. It was a Dunlop D220.

I'm trying to keep the trailer tongue as light as possible and still have stability. If it's too light it will wobble. So have been running around 35 to 40#, and vary little in the bike side bags and top box.

I believe that towing a trailer puts stress on your rear tire during take off and that probably contributes the most to excess wear. But thats just an opinion.

I'll watch this new one and if it has the same wear rate I'll call ahead and order a tire.

Will post the results of the second tire.
I'm thinking the trailer weight and the horizontal stress attributed to slowing and accelerating has more of an affect than the tongue weight. Sounds like the Road Smarts are still a better option...

I will be interested in the life with a trailer as well, as a few people I know tow trailers. At least it gives a realistic worst case situation.

Today I was out again, cold with patches of wet after an isolated hail storm went through. Tyres performed like dry, at least as good as the Storms. The rider risk profile is the limiting factor on public roads. Performance over tyre life, and tyre life, are yet to be determined.

Update:

I put on a set at 6800 miles.

Now, with about 6000 miles, the new rear RoadSmart is shot.

So less miles than the Dunlop OEMs.

Great tire, not great durability.

I'm strict on tire pressure.

Guess I drove 'em too hard or something.

Might try PR2s.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
At 2000 Miles on my new 2007 ST1300 ABS, I picked up a nail in Monterey, CA. The Honda dealer was only a mile away, so I pumped up the tire at the gas station and limped over to the dealer. The only tire they had was a Dunlop Roadsmart and they said "it's on sale for only $165!". I have over 9,000 miles on that rear tire and it seems to be wearing well. The stock front tire looks fine as well with a little over 11,000 miles on it. Not sure what I should get when they finally do wear out.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I have now gone almost 13K on the original front and ~11K on the new Dunlop Roadsmart rear. They both still look new. I think I will go with a full new set of Roadsmarts at 16K.

Bike
ST1300
The best I could get on RoadSmart on the rear was 7,200 mi. I won't go back to them again!! At least not on the rear.

Top Bottom