hey just noticed dunlop coming out with the "RoadSmart"

I will be fitting the Roadsmarts in a few weeks time. Other front tyres (110/80)are not available for the ST11 except on backorder and roadsmarts are available at a similar price. I will have to put on a 170/60 rear, but I have used one before. The ST11 rear rim is not the optimal size for the tyre, but is within the range you can use the 170 for. I want to test recent suspension modifications with the same set of tyres (Storms) on known roads in various conditions first, otherwise I won't what has changed due to suspention or tyres.

Last Dunlop I used was a D205 on the back, a solid tyre. before that...TT100 back in the late 70s!

Gymbo

R.I.P. - 2021/08/30
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I emailed Dunlop and they said they have no plans to make a Roadsmart to fit the rear of the ST1100. They suggested the D205.

BlaSTr

Miami ST
STOC #
Picked up another nail last night (3 times in the rear tire - why is that?) and with the 021s approaching 9000 miles, but with a at least 2000 miles left, I'm looking for new rubber. I'm planning an 11000 mile ride this summer and don't want to have to change tires in the middle of the ride.

Thanks for the coments and honest observations. I'm not sure what to use but the RoadSmarts sound pretty good. Dunlops don't.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
3 times in the rear tire - why is that?
Are you doing a lot of riding in the middle of the lane? Small stuff dropped sometimes gets collected there and some of it is sharp.

Just a thought from left field.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Tire threads are interesting and controversial. Why do we all have a different opinion...... the pavement in different parts of the country is a different formulation. The tire testers do it all on a track for a couple of hours. Doesn't tell you anything about longevity. How many mileage tests have you seen, almost none. It might not be raining. How many of us ride that agressively, really, and are always near scraping pegs... probably very few, and even less of us are going to be leaning very far in the wet. BUT, we all want that performance info they can only duplicate on the track, and racers use tires specially picked to the track and their style. We don't do that, we're on the streets with tar snakes, potholes, tar & chip, gravel, you name it.
So, your experience will vary. Some of us ride more agressively and know what tires will do. So will your opinions vary, and this is mine. Now if there was a performance index directly related to the average width of your chicken strips.....................
BTW, I think I liked my BS 020's better than the 021's.......

Dunlop, I think other manufactures must also, perform long term testing. There are companies that have a fleet of bikes you can contract with to have short term and long term testing performed, not just race pace testing. Keep in mind, it is on a select few MC's and tire combinations and is very time consuming/expensive. Designing tires is harder than you think.
Let's see you want:

Great mileage
No uneven wear
Fantastic wet grip
Superior dry grip
Flawless handling

Once you find all of this in one tire, let me know.

Oh wait, your opinion is different than the guy riding the exact same bike and tires...

BlaSTr

Miami ST
STOC #
Are you doing a lot of riding in the middle of the lane? Small stuff dropped sometimes gets collected there and some of it is sharp.

Just a thought from left field.
Just my magnetic personality. :crackup

The first was in the parking lot of a RTE and I was in the middle of the pack. The second was on the road and again I was in the middle of the pack. This last time I was on my own. And living in South Florida where the middle of the road is slicker than whale ****, I've learned to not ride there.

I'm down to 3 choices and am getting prices: RoadSmart, Road Pilot 2, and BT 021. The local cycle shop has the RoadSmarts in stock (but not a front for me) so I was able to look them over and compare them to the Road Pilots and BT021.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
I rode Greg's ST with 021s on nearing the very end of their life. I never rode such a funky unpredictable tip in handling bike in eons. He is hard on front tires, but still, based on that I'd pass on them personally. I guess they were Ok up to that point though. Man they were wearing mondo strange on the sides.

Bike
Honda 2009 DN-01
STOC #
Tire threads are spooky... I have been reading the posts about Dunlop Roadsmart and decided to pull the trigger at the local Cycle Gear shop. The tire guy (whom has been mounting/balancing my tires for years) could not get the Roadsmart to balance on the wheel... was coming up 80 grams out and did not want to come into balance...each time he added weights, the tire balance would still be out 20-25 grams in a different place. This was a 170/60-17 rear tire with Mfg date of 4207 and made in France. The situation made me nervous, so I grabbed a BT021 off the shelf (mfg. date 0608 made in Japan) and that tire needed 25 grams and quickly balanced to zero. :confused:

Not sure what the moral of this story is ... maybe a not-so-good gut feel about the tire not balancing. Maybe just a one-off anomaly. Anyway, I am back to the Bridgestone although that is not how my day started out!

BTW the BT021 replaces a Metzeler Roadtec Z6 (made in Germany). After 11,670 miles, the rear Z6 was starting to show cord on the centerline. Very favorable impression of the Metzeler's except the front is ready for replacement after 7K miles.:eek::

Interesting. I will be doing mine in a few weeks so will ask about how the balancing went. The last few Avons did not need anything.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just my magnetic personality. :crackup

The first was in the parking lot of a RTE and I was in the middle of the pack. The second was on the road and again I was in the middle of the pack. This last time I was on my own. And living in South Florida where the middle of the road is slicker than whale ****, I've learned to not ride there.

I'm down to 3 choices and am getting prices: RoadSmart, Road Pilot 2, and BT 021. The local cycle shop has the RoadSmarts in stock (but not a front for me) so I was able to look them over and compare them to the Road Pilots and BT021.
You should consider Avon Storms. I don't think I have seen one negative posted here or elsewhere on these tires. They stick wet or dry, they wear evenly, they are less expensive than your choices, and the mileage is as good as 021's. Of the tires I have tried they are the best for me. They are the only tires with a road hazard replacement warranty and it sounds like you NEED this benefit. Hole the tire and get a new one.

In the automotive world, there is a mark on the tire indicating a mount point which mates to the wheel. They mark it at the factory because no tire is perfectly round or balanced and the mark is where some weight point is defined.

I wonder if there's something similar in the cycle world.

Bike
ST1300
JUST got back from the shop with a new RoadSmart on the rear of my 1300. WOW.. if the first few miles are any indication I think I'm going to like the feel of these tires. Price is a bit much... mounted it was $260, and only 30 of that was the labor to mount.

I watched the entire process and it seemed to weigh out about like others. It's VERY interesting to look closely at the tire - you can distinctly see three different compounds on the tread and you can run your fingers over them and actually feel the difference from hard/slick to soft/sticky on the very outside edges.

My OEM Bridgestone got to 9,000 and had lots of tread left, but it had cupped beyond belief. I naturally want to blame the manufacturer, but I'm not sure that the suspension and my load of camping gear to the rear of the fender on the TurboCity tail rack might not be the problem. Anybody have a theory about that .. ??

BlaSTr

Miami ST
STOC #
I put a pair on Friday ($240 for the tires, $110 :eek: for the mounting). The tire pattern is a bit different from the 021s they replaced and they look a bit wider. After scubbing off the release agent, I've had a chance to run them a bit on SoFlo roads. Very impressive so far. No detectible road noise, vibration, or wobbling. On the corners I did twist, they seemed to stick better than the 021s also. I was a bit worried about the transition from the harder center section to the softer shoulders but I couldn't tell a thing. They might be a winner.

There's lots of talk about them at the local bikes store. I got one of the first sets mounted there. The consensus seems to be that there's a great potential and if it holds up to the hype it could be a big seller.

350 miles on Roadsmart Dunlops on my st1300. Best tire yet on this bike. Handles like a dream.Mileage remains to be seen.Had Bridgestones,Pilot's,not 2's, Metzlers before.Metzler Z-6 seem to have belt separating and cupping problem.Air pressure checked religiously.Had to take them off.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Put the first 100 mi. of break in time with RoadSmarts on my lightweight 650SV.

The front took about an ounce, but the rear better than double to balance. They go on like Metzlers with that steel belt, they like to fight some.

Mind you the following is just an initial impression from only 100 lousy miles of riding on them. I had Pilot Power sport tires on it before, so they are being compared to an exceptionally outstanding handling tire.

They are a bit lazier at turn in than the PP sport tires, but are still pretty good, about how I remember Metzler z-6 turn in to be. As good as any sport tour tire I've ridden on (no falling in like the 020 could be prone to), just not as good as the Pilot Powers. However the tip in is pleasantly linear all the way down to the tire's edge. That type of tip in would likely feel decently responsive on the ST would be my guess.

I took them on a good mix of new-ish blacktop, to gnarley, nasty back roads with gravel patches and even a dirt road that turned into a cow path like rocky surface.

Being Dunlop Sport Tour, I expected them to suck at running along a ridge edge, so I ran them down a bunch of edge traps about an inch high for a few miles and they pleasantly surprised me by being totally stable. I couldn't find a metal bridge to try out yet. Overall straight line stability seems excellent overall from slow to fast.

As I started progressively pushing them more, feedback seemed to be very good from the tires. I could easily tell what they were doing as far as tracking goes. I ran over a short strip of gravely sand under throttle and both wheels took to drifting a small bit, the feedback was clear, the expected re-grip was very smooth and predictable, no grabby twitching evident.

There's a nice isolated, open, highly visible, partly downhill second gear turn, where I took the tire down to the edge near the end of the ride. I felt the front squirm just a very small bit, where the Pilot Powers wouldn't have, so the jury is still out on ultimate grip. The grip appears to be very good overall though, but more time is needed before I can decide if it is as good as I like. The SV tends to want to push the front end first in general at smaller throttle openings no matter the tire, so that doesn't mean the Dunlop front is any sort of problem at this time.

On the other hand I took the bike through a set of known turns that would cause some small sliding over the choppy surface on a tire like the Bridgestone 020 and it held fast nicely.

I'll get to test them in the rain this weekend when I go to NH to visit with some Buds. I should have better than a thousand miles of back road curve strafing on them at the end of the weekend. So, I'll know if they stack up to the Z6, Pirrelli Strada, etc. or not when the weekend's done. Preliminary impression says they may be better, we'll see.

Notes from the Goat, no Lion spotted yet, these are better than the former Dunlop Sport Tour tires and look to be up to or perhaps better than the competition at first blush.

As to mileage, I won't be of any use at all, because I seem to toast tires around the 3,000 mi. mark, give or take some. The STradas on the Bandit have around 2800 on and look like they will be gone shortly, sigh.

It is interesting the different experince people have with tyres. On the ST11 the Avon storm has been the most even wering tyre I have used, and also lasted the longest (15,000kms). The rear wears out a bit too quick (10,000kms). I have upgraded front suspension so it may make a difference.

I have the Roadsmarts on now. When I get to do the first ride on the weekend it will be interesting how they wil go. The Storms were still handling smoothly.

Top Bottom