How long do you ride before becoming tired?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
An article I'd heard of, but never read before.
Interesting, perhaps thought provoking.
I'll try this.
What are your thoughts?
(Note the author is speaking to BMW K-bikes and sport tourers, but could apply to STs.)

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
But then the 'mericans come, tack raisers and helibars on it, perverting it into a cruiser...
My arms aren't very long, so I use the helibar risers to bring the grips a little closer to my body.

I'll try this.
What are your thoughts?
(Note the author is speaking to BMW K-bikes and sport tourers, but could apply to STs.)
Except for the part about using your thighs to lighten your ride on the seat, the other principles in the article were taught in the MSF beginner riding course I took years ago. When my back starts hurting during a ride, it's usually because I'm hunching over rather than arching my back. Of course, it could also have something to do with the extra weight around my waist...:rofl1:

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
It sounds like the column is saying I'm doing it wrong, by setting up my '01 for unbending my hips and knees and sitting more upright, due to the seat and handlebars, respectively.

ST1100.png

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Weather and temps along with one’s physical fitness. Like Mellow - I’ve done long rides 700 plus and short ones with weather and traffic or road technicality. Either can have a toll. Cold days below 50 degrees seem to wear on me more lately. Long trips I find standing on the pegs often helps stretch and blood flow

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Except for the part about using your thighs to lighten your ride on the seat, the other principles in the article were taught in the MSF beginner riding course I took years ago.
Now, that's interesting.
I coached all the available MSF classes for a dozen years, and while I do know (despite MSF's best efforts at uniformity) there can be some slight variances between states and state coordinators, Alabama never put that much emphasis on the finer details like this article did. Yeah, we discussed "proper" riding posture, but it only covered general guidelines, not to any great extent unless we noticed someone really struggling.
As for Joe's comment, I read it differently -- more like a "consider this", or "try that" approach. I've never heard anyone come out and say our Western penchant for sitting was unnatural, but I have read about Easterners' squatting predilection. There may have been a correlation to respective health of our hips and knees versus theirs, but I don't remember the details.
In the end... just some food for thought.
And when it comes to "food", we don't all share the same taste, and that's ok.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
As far as answering the title of this thread. I used to be able to ride a lot longer than I can today and not be physically tired. The longest I have gone on any bike in one day was 660 miles and I took 13 hours to do it, so mostly staying off faster roads. I was not physically tired after that and felt I could ride much farther. But mentally I was not as alert as when I started. Now I find 8-9 hours to be about my limit before starting to feel both physically and mentally tired.

Interesting thing to me is that the farthest I was able to ride was on my CTX1300, which was very close to the same riding/sitting position as my GL1500 was.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Probably not as long as you think, the reason they regulate maximum on duty times for commercial drivers and enforce break periods. People think they are wide awake right up until they nod off.

Last edited:

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Ok ok, I'm tired, for today. Tomorrow's gonna be another day a ay.....FYI I did not click on the "rider positions" click bait link. I get enough stuff in my googler to know not to click a "positions" link.

FYI fyi, I can ride your bike about 17 seconds longer than I can stay awake most any day you want to go try.

10two.jpg

Last edited:

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
not could... does...

But then the 'mericans come, tack raisers and helibars on it, perverting it into a cruiser...
Don't forget highway pegs, no ST cruiser conversion is complete without highway pegs, or perhaps it's just rider comfort for those larger than an average Japanese.

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
How long do you ride before becoming tired?

Waiting on the OP to answer before I chime in.
Looks like I'm being called out.
Fine.
I find the stock seat on the 1300 to be adequate, if not superior, and that's my main focus for weak points. I've had numbness in my throttle wrist for years, and I have used the ThrottleMeister (discontinued, sadly) with great success in the past... wrist rests, not so much. I actually have sourced a used TM here in our very own For Sale basement, but haven't installed it yet.
(It's important to leave some things undone, so @Obo will have something to remind me about. :rofl1: ) I will swap my left hand to the throttle side for very short durations when on the interstate (where the numbness typically occurs), as unwise as we know that to be. And yes, I have bumped the engine cutoff switch a handful of times. Not a ride-stopper.
Don't see a Russell DL saddle in my near future, that would most likely be da bomb. I've never owned one, but there are more affordable saddles that would provide a noticeable improvement, as well. I just stand up, when shifting positions still leaves my bum uncomfortable after a few hundred miles.
The McCruise is likewise inviting me, but that can wait, since my as-yet-unseen 1250 GSA has cruise included on it.
I've come within 50 miles of a SaddleSore on the 1300, but I have a couple / three SS1Ks already, and even though I had 3 or 4 hours left, I was tired and didn't feel like I needed another. Got lazy, actually - now I wish I had put in another hour and a half; would have had an easy cert. I rationalized, telling myself I didn't have to prove anything to anyone.
That said, I am well aware that many in the riding community view endurance rides with disdain, or even disgust. I recognize that I'll never be riding my best after 20-plus hours in the saddle. But it doesn't have to be a recipe for tragic results, either.
Now to the question at hand... 400 miles is usually easy, but heat makes it harder for me in the South, as well as my mindset; i.e., did I start out with a plan to do a long day? What is the destination? Is this for fun or for work? Will I be riding through rain? So many questions to answer the question, so I'll say for clarity and authoritatively -- it all depends.
I don't have any physical issues like arthritis, neck or back surgery, bad hips or knees... so I can ride without undue issues, if I'm rested and especially if it's somewhere I want to go.
So there ya have my "answer", which in characteristic fashion is not much of an answer at all.
Primarily, I just wanted to learn what some of you would say. I know some here are older than me, and have had joint issues and spinal / cervical issues.
Thanks to those who have shared about this here.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
converting it to a bike I can ride for hours without any pain.
Don't forget highway pegs, no ST cruiser conversion is complete without highway pegs, or perhaps it's just rider comfort for those larger than an average Japanese.
Pay no attention to the man shouting from behind the curtain. Some AuSTrainians liked it once at least.

"On the '94 I've installed the OEM P-spec raisers (and the wider P-spec handlebar).
The OEM plastics (pre '95 design) fit perfectly (as their only mounted at the plate welded to the tube; this will not apply on a post '96 design, where the plastics are mounted at the upper tee, so one will need to fabricate some brackets/extensions for that)

However, even the only slight raise (IIRC ~20mm) already gives me the sensation of being somewhat "detached" from the steering... "

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Chiming in on time in the saddle. There are more factors for me than just seat or bars, once sorted, mental stability is next. Caloric intake and hydration are high on the list too. Road conditions, weather and that general feeling of well being matter too. I have done 300 miles on a clear day on lazy roads and been tired, also road 600 miles in the rain and been fine. Eating and drinking can keep me going for 1000 if I do it right, small kibbles of natures foods (nuts, dried fruit and the like). 100 degrees, I'm not lasting long, 40 degrees either. All that being said (written), If I have a goal I'll make it and probably won't be too tired, purpose is important to me.

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'll try this.
What are your thoughts?

I think Master Yodas perfect riding position for everyone is a little presumptuous ….. almost everyone who has ridden for many years (which includes most of us on this site) have preferences and bikes that fit comfortable for us. I am 6’4” with a 35” inseam and currently ride a Super Tenere and R1250GS as both fit me better than other bikes. I have added taller seats, lower pegs, and handlebar risers to open the ride triangle for me. That said, I did ride 710 miles earlier in the summer and it was only doable for me as it was 45-70 degrees for the first 450 miles. I have much better stamina in colder weather and hate heat and humidity. I also prefer to ride with minimal traffic and detest riding in the northeast states of NH and VT. The speed limits are low and the locals seem to never get up to speed……I don’t want to pass people all day to make some time.

Anyway, a good day for me is 350-450 miles depending on the weather, temperature, and traffic conditions.
BTW, my Super Tenere is more comfortable to me than my BMW……YMMV

TPadden

Tom Padden
... There are more factors for me than just seat or bars,.. Caloric intake and hydration are high on the list too...
Finally a thread subject I qualify as an expert in. I've found seats are an endurance requirement more important than caloric intake, in bars when I hydrate. My head hurts much less when it hits a table than when it hits the floor. :thumb:

Tom

Top Bottom