How long do you ride before becoming tired?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Good question, and the answer is: It depends!

Besides my 125 mile commutes, between 2008 and 2020, I have done a number of long-distance rides. Some were day trips, some were over nighters and others were a week and onetime, two weeks, covering over 3,700 miles.

For me, it took a couple of years to “Dial In” my first (05) ST1300. The first mod I did was to add a Heli GenII handlebar raiser. I had to wait a few months for my first ST1300 RDL. And during that wait time, over a weekend (3 days) I did a 1,200-mile ride with the stock saddle. The first 600 miles, I did OK, but that last 600 miles was pure torture! The trip up to Sacramento, was about 400 miles and I hit a bunch of rain, which made it harder to make good time. Then we rode about 400 miles for the "ride", and then the 400 miles back home. Halfway thru that ride, is when the TB really set in! That’s when I knew, there was no way being able to ride long distance on the stock saddle.

Five months later, my brother, Dave and I did a 2,600 mile ride up thru Northern CA, into Oregon, then back thru the Eastern side of CA into Reno, Nevada and back into CA, riding over several of the passes, US89, US108, US120, back over US89, to US50, then down US99. I was on my first RDL, and Dave was on his one-piece Corbin. For the most part, we did pretty good without the TB I had experienced that ride five months earlier. One day, we were in the saddles for 13 hours (with some short breaks) and no TB.

Besides the MCL “wings”, updating the Heli GenII raiser to a GenIII, made a big improvement for my back. Before then I always had a back ache. I also have had to have a Throttle lock. That gave my numb right hand a rest for a few moments and I was good to go, until it got numb again.

I have done a number of other long distance rides as well. Years ago, my plan was to ride 120 miles, take a break, ride another 120 miles, gas up with another break. Since then I modify it to the roads I’m riding and how I’m feeling. I find that “Five-Hour” has helped when I need to ride anything beyond a couple of hours.

The longest ride I’ve done was about 870 miles over 22.5 hours, with no sleep. I don’t plan to do that again!

Recently I rode out to Las Vegas, spent the night, and then rode to Santa Barbara. About 530 miles. And due to weather, I had to make it back, those 530 miles) in one day. Besides a few gas stops, I had one other stop to put on my rain gear. That was a long ride. And I had to continue watching the weather, so I wouldn't get caught in a flash flood. If I would have been just 3 hours later, riding thru Las Vegas that night, I would have been in the middle of some of the flooding they had.

So, to answer the question? It depends on the route/roads and weather!

Here are most of my rides over the years:

Most of Bob's Rides

Bike
R1200rt
Finally a thread subject I qualify as an expert in. I've found seats are an endurance requirement more important than caloric intake, in bars when I hydrate. My head hurts much less when it hits a table than when it hits the floor. :thumb:

Tom
so you found an endurance seat at the bar or you bring one with you? :rofl1:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
... rider comfort for those larger than an average Japanese.
Emphasis on larger, hmm?... ;)

I'm 6'1" (hence slightly taller then an average Japanese, despite the ST being developed by Honda Germany BTW) and actually adjusted the OEM(!) bars a bit forward from default +rotated brake/clutch clamps down so that fingers,n metacarpal and forearms make a straight line...

I would be incapacitated to ride a road like this:

with a configuration like that (sorry @Larry Fine ):

the seat prohibits leaning action, them bars adding the handling and agility of a wheelbarrow...
I probably wouldn't even make out out the garage/off the driveway over here without significant troubles...

Bike
04 ST1300
On the interstate, I ride about 315 miles straight or about 4.5 hours, before the need to stop for gas, food/snack, stretching, etc. My longest ride is 760 miles in a 12.5 hour period, which included 2 stops totaling 2.5 hours. Therefore a riding time of about 10 hours. I have done this route many times. With the long range of the ST's a lot of miles can be gobbled up.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I would be incapacitated to ride a road like this:
I wouldn't! While my '96, which is stock height, handles better at low speeds, the '01 is no slouch on the twisties, either. I put weight on my feet and counter-steer, and over she goes. I have the rear suspension set high enough that very little steering effort is needed.

When I raised the seat and bars on the '01, it was my only ST. (I have a '96 Nighthawk with taller seat and bars that I rode before I got the '01.) I could barely ride it with the stock seat and bars. My knees pressed against the fairing, and I couldn't ride far without stopping.

with a configuration like that (sorry @Larry Fine )

the seat prohibits leaning action, them bars adding the handling and agility of a wheelbarrow...
I probably wouldn't even make out out the garage/off the driveway over here without significant troubles...
No apologies needed.

I'm 6'3" and long-legged enough that I can stand flat on both feet and be able to lift my butt completely off of the RDL seat. The bars just let me sit upright enough that I don't have to put weight on the bars to reach them. They really don't hinder handling for me.

Before I had and recovered from my left hip replacement, even the raised '01 was not tolerable for a long ride without regular stops. I could maybe make an hour before the first stop, but then my hips and knees would be on fire and make me stop every 15 minutes or so.

The STOC rides were especially bad because they only stop about once an hour, but now it's not a problem even on the '96. I have the '01 for long trips I ride, and it is bike-trailer-pulling ready, and I have the '96 for STOC rides where I bring it on the flat trailer.

NH750a.jpg

IMG_1983.JPG

96Trailer.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300
I've done 700+ mile days on previous bikes with the only real issue being my knees get stiff even if I stand up or walk around at gas stops. As I get older the stiffness comes quicker but doing a 400 mile round trip in a day is still doable for me on my ST13. I do move around a lot in the saddle so that might be helping me.
Riding in the rain does wear me out a little faster just because I don't relax as much.
I did adjust the clutch and brake levers so that my wrists are at a better angle for me and I have bar risers, cruise control and a peg lowering kit on it. One thing I could never get used to is the highway blades so I handed them off to another member here a while back.

Bike
2007 ST1300
On a road trip taking secondary highways only I can sustain a pace of 300 miles a day. Sure you can do 500 or more miles in a day, but that wears me out and the enjoyment is long gone by the end of those days. So I plan for ~300 miles.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
On a road trip taking secondary highways only I can sustain a pace of 300 miles a day. Sure you can do 500 or more miles in a day, but that wears me out and the enjoyment is long gone by the end of those days. So I plan for ~300 miles.
I agree. That works out to 50 mph for six hours. Add stops and lunch, and that's a full workday.

To do that day after day is taxing. I don't know how the really-long-distance-ride riders do it.

Riding should be fun, not a chore. That's part of why I trailer my bike to riding weekend events.

Top Bottom