How long do you ride before becoming tired?

Bike
R1200rt
I agree. That works out to 50 mph for six hours. Add stops and lunch, and that's a full workday.

To do that day after day is taxing. I don't know how the really-long-distance-ride riders do it.

Riding should be fun, not a chore. That's part of why I trailer my bike to riding weekend events.
Chicago to Colorado, lets say, 1000 miles of flat land with not much to see. I want to get across that stuff in a day and a half not three. Now I can relax and enjoy the scienic riding with more time. My favorite time to ride is real early in the mourning when you have almost no traffic and have the road to your self.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Chicago to Colorado, lets say, 1000 miles of flat land with not much to see. I want to get across that stuff in a day and a half not three.
That's the "chore" part of riding. I feel like hours on the interstate are a "waste" of the bike (and me).

I'd rather put the wear'n'tear on my car and trailer, and save the bike (and my body) for the fun parts.

Bike
R1200rt
That's the "chore" part of riding. I feel like hours on the interstate are a "waste" of the bike (and me).

I'd rather put the wear'n'tear on my car and trailer, and save the bike (and my body) for the fun parts.
now your tied down to where you trailer is

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
During the riding season I’ve been to ride many a 1000km days. I find that the pegs are too far forward for me as I tend to utilize the passenger pegs ( that hip thing) for a majority of the time I’m riding. I do have Helibars and have them set up for me that my hands and arms are comfortable and that the controls are a straight extension of my hands. I have electronic cruise control to ease the tension of my shoulders as I tend to grip the bars too much. I have a Corbin saddle that has a slight more padding and it allows me to sit in the bike as opposed to on it.
I recently acquired a camel pack and that too is a game changer for maintaining long distance riding.
At my age I do need to stop on a regular basis, so I include a few stretches and a bit of a walk around before getting back on the bike.
The VStrom has a much different riding style, more sit up, though I still search for the rear pegs to rotate my hips when riding

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I will add good hearing protection.
I learned long ago, making 15 hour trips, whether by car, plane or bike, that the high frequency wind noise is fatiguing.
Those simple foam ear plugs really make a big difference no mater what mode of transport you are taking.
There is more about having a quiet ride than comfort, it is also less fatigue.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Dang I can't remember where I saw it ( old age I guess) but the author of this article on riding say's after 500 miles your reflexes and mental acuity isn't the same as when you started on your trip. Better to stop and call it a day.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
The furthest I have ridden in one day was 1200 miles in 22 hours from Kimberly, Canada to Loveland Colorado. Then 6 hours of sleep and off on another 800 miles in 12 hours from Loveland, CO to Wichita Falls TX. and this was on my old 1992 ST1100, 22 years ago, returning from WeSToc in Kimberly. Won't and can't do that type of riding anymore. Now here on the Front range of Colorado a Day ride of 6 to 8 hours, 250 miles in the mountains tires me out. Getting older I guess.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
comes with age :crackup:
I hope it doesn’t come with age. Heck, I’ll be old in a few more years.

The past 2 years, I’ve come home from RanchSToc, in 12 hours. 875 miles by the odometer. Once, on the ‘18 Wing, and this year on the RT. In 2021, I rode from Boise home, consisting of three, 700 miles days, back to back, camping 2 nights. On long trips, I usually get my meals from my tank bag, while I’m fueling the bike.

When I feel that I’m not alert, I’ll cue up the phone and find somebody to talk to for several miles.

John

Bike
2017 ST 1300PA
I guess I’m spoiled. I have a police ST with a Corbin two-up conversion seat. I love the neutral position and will stand on the pegs for a change of position. I did an SS1000 this Father’s Day (unsupervised I might add) in about 17 hours. I could have gone longer, but that was all I planned, so I stopped. I was VERY glad to stand up at the final fuel stop though. I am planning a Bun Burner soon on the same bike, this time with a Kaoko throttle stabilizer. I’m hoping it will be a game changer!

Bike
R1200rt
I hope it doesn’t come with age. Heck, I’ll be old in a few more years.

The past 2 years, I’ve come home from RanchSToc, in 12 hours. 875 miles by the odometer. Once, on the ‘18 Wing, and this year on the RT. In 2021, I rode from Boise home, consisting of three, 700 miles days, back to back, camping 2 nights. On long trips, I usually get my meals from my tank bag, while I’m fueling the bike.

When I feel that I’m not alert, I’ll cue up the phone and find somebody to talk to for several miles.

John
perfect. when heading for home I see no reason to go 3-400 miles, then sit somewhere and watch the grass grow for half a day.

Bike
R1200rt
Dang I can't remember where I saw it ( old age I guess) but the author of this article on riding say's after 500 miles your reflexes and mental acuity isn't the same as when you started on your trip. Better to stop and call it a day.
na, coming home once, did about 500 miles in the heat. Stoped to eat and when I came out the temp dropped dramaticly. Put another enjoyable 300 miles home with near perfect riding weather. Your mental acuity could be compromised at any time for a number of different reasons.

i

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
So, I'll go ahead and be the one to disagree. I think most of his points are valid, but individuals are different and what works for Master Yoda isn't necessarily what works for Luke Skywalker, which is probably totally different than Darth Vader.

I'll also throw this thought into the mix... Active Relaxation
an ability to relax parts of your body while others are called to work. It takes practice, awareness, and being "in the moment", but my longevity increased tremendously once I found out I was mostly causing the pain in my butt. Your body will naturally tighten and being aware when it happens and forcing yourself to relax those muscles and not spend that energy created a more effortless ride and I feel more aware for a longer period of time.

Try actively and totally relaxing your elbows, shoulders, neck... then back waist, thighs, knees ankles, toes...work through everything you can. I'm not saying I ride like that all the time. In the mountains I shift weight off centerline, weight the inside peg, rotate the hips and open up to the corner, etc... and every motion and thought process requires energy.

And that is how I measure when I get tired. How much energy do I have? I've done 2 Saddlesores (1000 miles) and a Bun Burner (1500 miles) now and they were much easier than a 425 mile day I did last month through twisty mountains in the high 40's and misty conditions. I was simply required to spend more energy, worry, and concentration in crappy conditions than blasting out mileage on the super-slab listening to some good tunes on a sunny afternoon. Eating smaller amounts throughout the day and remembering to fit in something with electrolytes also helps. The minute I start yawning I'll try to snack on something and it is usually just me running low (I tend to ignore nutrition and meals sometimes in the heat of the moment). And don't underestimate a good set of ear plugs... they make a difference.

The last thing I'll mention is to consider finding a way to test cognitive abilities, and this will be different for everyone. For me, if I can't calculate time/distance, fuel mileage, how far I can go on available fuel, or stuff like that... I've been on too long. Lets pull over, stretch the legs, visit the restroom, and even nap if needed.

I'll also admit that more energy is required to move an old body than a younger one... and let's get into the gym people!!!:sbike1:

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I get a new-to-me bike I usually plan at least a SaddleSore 1000 on it. So far that has been my ST1300, NC700X, Triumph Tiger, Goldwing. The ST carried me though 2 SS1000s, Bun Burner Gold, 50CC, NC 2 SS1000, Bun Burner 1500, and one SS1000 on the rest. I did one SS on the RT but didn’t get around to sending in the documentation but all the other IBA rides are in the list of finishers. Some STOC get-to’s or home from were in the 700-900 mile day list.

Top Bottom