How long do you ride before becoming tired?

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
You really need to fetch that bike, before the early snows set in.
You really need to fetch that bike, before the early snows set in.
Yes, and I've been thinking that exact thought.
Seems I could fetch it, and schedule the RawHyde classes for next spring sometime.
Great old minds think alike.
Sometimes.
In some ways.
Like this time.

For me it really depends on 2 things, the weather is one, too hot and too sunny makes shorter time in the saddle. The other which sounds strange is the road, if I have a twisty road I last longer, I think it takes my mind off the time and diverts my attention.
So, cool and twisty I can go all day and have. Going through Montana and Wyoming on the backroads covered a bunch of miles.
Freeway 400 miles I consider a good day with lots of stops for stretching

I did read a article once about a guy that rode out in the direction that he wanted to go and rented a storage locker to park in. Flew home until the next summer and flew back to continue the trip.
Sounded like a excellent idea if I could afford it.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I came to the thread to post a jokey "probably when I'm dead" response... but then OP said the guy was talking about BMW K's, so my ears pricked up and I went off to have a skim read... if one can skim read with pricked up ears...

Well, he starts off well, with saying he's talking about Sports Tourers, but why @Sadlsor you thought that might not apply to ST1300's is beyond me.

Then he says you sit in, and not on K's... and he's right, but then we get into the "if you're within the air bubble behind the ST screen, are you in the bike or on it?" Still, you do sit more in a K than an ST.

Then he says that sports bikes require you to get your butt moving around, and that's the point that he lost me. I've ridden many sports bikes, many super sports bikes, and I'm yet to find one that requires me to do anything if I'd rather not. Sure, if I want to keep a bike more upright and not risk grounding out on the pegs, I'll wiggle my butt appropriately... but those times are rare.

So now that I got bored of reading that article, my genuine answer, figure out what's comfortable for you, be vaguely hydrated, fed, and mentally engaged with what's happening, and you probably won't fall asleep while riding.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I did read a article once about a guy that rode out in the direction that he wanted to go and rented a storage locker to park in. Flew home until the next summer and flew back to continue the trip.
Sounded like a excellent idea if I could afford it.
I kind of did that a couple years ago. Our family vacation was planned right after a rally I wanted to attend. I didn't have time to go home, but if I headed straight to Pocatello, ID, I could meet them on the way, do the vacation, and stop on the way back to ride it home. I called a storage place and he said he was full, but liked the idea so he would let me use the facility unit and said no one would touch it. Super nice, didn't charge me even though it was there 2 weeks, so I gave a donation to the church that his dad was pastor of, and who owned the storage facility.

Worked out really well. My daughters brought their helmets and each got a turn as pillion on the way home.

Last edited:
Top Bottom