I'm Getting Closer....

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
NICE Mike... I like the RT better than the GT..... sorry you won't be associating with me anymore ;)

( I swear I was at Cycle Gear in LR (im on the only bike in the lot) and a dude pulls up on an RT and parks beside me so close that when I center mine up off the kick stand.. I have to be careful not to touch his bike!! )
Enjoy !! You got that "grin" ....( and sure his pipes are colored already :D )

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Mojo gets it!! I will still talk to you but you might not recognize me with my white silk scarf and fadora. :)
Mike

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I'm about to hit 1000 miles on the RT and she is finally starting to loosen up. It is shifting much better and the motor has smoothed a bit. I've always heard they get better with age. Some of the improvement is a result of our shared bonding time. Moving from a V4 to a boxer has been interesting. You certainly feel more of the RT, not a bad thing, just takes some getting used to.
Mike

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
I thought you apologized on another thread for for a late response due to having to earn a living. 1000 miles sounds like you have been riding.

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Dinkie, I've been riding it to earn my living. Can't afford for my truck to move.
Mike

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I got it!

Wow!! Congrats! I am teetering on the edge of making this same decision myself. The thing that is keeping me from doing it is that my '99 ST has given me zero problems and I would not hesitate jumping on it tomorrow to go on multi thousand km trip. All the BMW owner's I have talked to always rave about their machine but there always seems to be some mechanical issue or another that they talk about having or one of their friend is having. The other thing I have never had to deal with Honda for a warranty claim since it never had an issue but there seems to be talk that BMW is not always easy to deal with, the dealers are great the warranty rep not always.

All that said I really like the RT, the way it sounds, the look, luggage design, oh almost forgot the sound..... just not the idea of shlepping tools and parts on trips which the BMW crowd seems to do. Oh well I have seen a number of Harleys broken down along the way but I can't remember seeing a BMW rider stranded. Decisions.

Gerhard

P.S. Hope that smile just keeps getting bigger

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Oh, the smile is getting bigger! She gets better every mile. I'm very happy with the bike so far.
Mike

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Oh, the smile is getting bigger! She gets better every mile. I'm very happy with the bike so far.
Mike
That's not a good enough answer. We need specifics. We need fodder for arguments sake. What do you like in particular? What's the thing that keeps drawing your attention/doesn't draw attention vs. the ST?

Have you checked fuel mileage yet?

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I love the handling and the weight reduction in the curves and in the parking lot. Also, I think the RT has better wind protection. I can get dead calm wind without raising the screen all of the way up and still see over it. The ESA works great with a noticeable difference in settings. The electronic cruise is awesome. Sixth gear also feels right and I don't try to up shift like I did on the ST. Although the gear indicator might help in that regard.

I miss the low end grunt of the ST as the RT likes to rev a little higher. I can't read the LCD as easily on the RT, maybe because I have a funky color blindness????

The motor on the RT isn't as smooth but it is getting better with every mile. I have to get used to a bike that changes characteristics as it gets more miles on it. The ST didn't change at all.
Mike

Top Bottom