It finally happened, time to go...

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
Well, after 11 years of very happy and proud ST1300 ownership it's time to part with the bike, the weight has finally claimed another victim. Well... to be honest, it's more a case of both my shoulders suffering rotator cuff damage and combined with age that makes the Pan a bit too heavy for me to tour with, so it's being traded in for a BMW R1200RT LE which is the only bike out there with a Pan sized pillion seat.
I have to add that my wife was not a happy lady when I appraised her of my plans, and It was kinda quaint to see her measure the seat of every prospective replacement then dismiss it as 'not as good as the Pan', a benchmark in the true sense of the word :)

So I've started a list of stuff for sale, and I'm sure it will grow... it's just amazing just how much Pan based stuff you accumulate over the years!

Steve

Last edited:
Well, after 11 years of very happy and proud ST1300 ownership it's time to part with the bike, the weight has finally claimed another victim. Well... to be honest, it's more a case of both my shoulders suffering rotator cuff damage and combined with age that makes the Pan a bit too heavy for me to tour with, so it's being traded in for a BMW R1200RT LE which is the only bike out there with a Pan sized pillion seat.
I have to add that my wife was not a happy lady when I appraised her of my plans, and It was kinda quaint to see her measure the seat of every prospective replacement then dismiss it as 'not as good as the Pan', a benchmark in the true sense of the word :)

So I've started a list of stuff for sale, and I'm sure it will grow... it's just amazing just how much Pan based stuff you accumulate over the years!

Steve
I understand your wife's fews. A few years ago I had an zx9r which my daughter loved due to the seat. I bought an r1. She got on it once and said never again. As the seat was horrible for her. So I had to go out and by myself an zx12r to keep her happy. Not all bad I had two bikes. Lol.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Can the two of you provide two things that stand out, compared to the ST? (ie, why rid the ST for RT)
That can of worms has been opened so many times the can now has no lid; BMW DOES TEST RIDES. You owe it to yourself and all of us to do your own "two things" comparison. :thumb:

Add me to the ST to RT list. :cool:

Tom

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Can the two of you provide two things that stand out, compared to the ST? (ie, why rid the ST for RT)
Technology! Cruise control, heated grips, heated seats, Adjustable Suspension, ABS, Traction control, Wonder wheel controls everything with a control of a dial, easiest bike I ever did an oil change on!

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Technology! Cruise control, heated grips, heated seats, Adjustable Suspension, ABS, Traction control, Wonder wheel controls everything with a control of a dial, easiest bike I ever did an oil change on!
What about vibration concerns with the boxer engine?
Love all the standard tech!
John

CELarson

Looking forward to my next ride....
Site Supporter
Good for you Steve. The goal is to keep on riding.... I do wish that Honda had updated the ST instead of converting it to a Bagger. There is a lot of people that love the sport touring motorcycle but don't see themself riding a Bagger so will go to a BMW, Yamaha, or Kawasaki because Honda isn't producing the ST with all the amenities that are on bikes these days..
Cheers and have fun on your new ride.

Craig

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The earlier models vibrated a lot, I have the liquid cooled which started coming out in 2014 and they are so much better!
2 things standing out for me are light weight/overall chassis balance and suspension.

Regarding vibration, I owned a 980cc 1981 and two 1200cc 2007 boxers and compared to the wetheads I’ve ridden there is not much difference. Twins aren’t fours or sixes.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I had my ST 1300 for 11 years and 110,000 miles and now I ride an FJR lol. Couldn't bring myself to buy a BMW...A: No dealer nearby B: big cost differential C: Fear of BMW maint costs

Enjoy your Beemer. They are pretty things.

Thanks!

I'll not require the heating stuff. ABS is good, but available on ST. I don't change my oil every month and it's easy enough to change when I do : )

2 things standing out for me are light weight/overall chassis balance and suspension.
I continue to read "the weight" comment come up when folks move from ST to RT. I do have rotator cuff damage at left shoulder and extreme arthritis (rheumatoid and osteo), but considering all that, I've yet to succumb to the weight of ST.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
... easiest bike I ever did an oil change on!
... and the requirement to get it online through an expensive factory interface to reset the ECU (you don't mind it sending all telemetry while at it...)...

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
This is exciting to hear. I hope to test ride a new RT in the spring. Looking forward to forming my own impressions after a test ride. I expect I might like it but then have to decide to buy it and sell my ST.
John

Bike
2005 st1300
I have longed for a new goldwing for the last couple of years but am now thinking of going the BMW1250RT route. So much lighter than a wing and lighter than the ST. I plan on testing the BMW thoroughly come spring. One issue I cant get past on the ST is the comfort. I have long legs and I always feel "crunched up", even with the seat on the highest position. I have an RDL and that has enabled long stints, as far as the butt is concerned, but my legs get cramped. The RT has different options for seats and I am interested in trying these different options. While the RT is lighter than the ST, I think with the lower COG, it will seem even lighter and more maneuverable than the weight difference would suggest... Just thinking out loud. I could be wrong, but I want to confirm this.
I like the idea of the newer technology as far as the sound system and integration with smart phones and the electronic cruise (no interest in the adaptive CC), as well as the new TFT screen

We'll see. If this pandemic continues and my riding season is limited as it was this year, I will be in no hurry to upgrade.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
...One issue I cant get past on the ST is the comfort. I have long legs and I always feel "crunched up", even with the seat on the highest position. I have an RDL and that has enabled long stints, as far as the butt is concerned, but my legs get cramped. The RT has different options for seats and I am interested in trying these different options.
You might wish to test the R1250GS ADV while you are riding BMW's. The large tank with an aftermarket shield gives as much wind protection as an RT but the legroom is about 3-1/2" longer. Plus it is lighter still and easier to work on because of the more limited tupperware.

Top Bottom