It finally happened, time to go...

Bike
2005 st1300
In regard to your point on ergonomics, try this site - https://cycle-ergo.com/ it will allow you to check leg and body angle, plus pillion ergos, and is adjustable for bar raisers etc. I found it invaluable on my search.
Thank you Steve. This is a very good resource. Currently they dont have the latest generation of the 1250rt and plugging in the latest that they have (2014) shows that the knee angle of the rt is the same as the ST. I hope newer generations have improved this. As mentioned by others, the GS series have much more leg room. I will have to throw a leg over them at a dealer soon. Thanks again.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
What are the key differences between the GS and the GS Adventure? I am not spotting the differences when viewing it on the BMW site.
Thanks, John

What are the key differences between the GS and the GS Adventure? I am not spotting the differences when viewing it on the BMW site.
Thanks, John
GIYF

Other articles and videos found using sesrch:
differences bmw gs and gs adventure

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Bike
2012 ST1300A
Just a question but what is everyone doing that is tearing their rotator cuffs? Is it a riding injury, picking up the bike injury, or something unrelated to the sport? If you use the proper throttle and clutch friction to operate a motorcycle, you shouldn't feel the weight of the bike. This is why LE riders can do circles in an 18' circle all day long on a 1000 pound Electra-Glide or 800 pound Honda ST1300. It does not require a lot of strength when done properly. I had two girls under 130 pounds who worked for me that were not weight lifters that performed very well on the ST1300. I understand wanting all the modern conveniences, if thats what you enjoy on your bike. I'm sure if we polled everyone in this conversation if they would choose a 1969 Camaro Z28 over a 2020 model we would probably get a split decision. I'm also guessing that many of us who perform our own service opt for bikes that don't require a diagnostic tablet to fix the host of problems that come with new technology. Just the cost of the annual updates for a tablet puts them out of most of our budgets. You also have to be very careful working on modern electrical systems with ECU's and a host of control modules. Most of those systems require high impedance testing equipment and the knowledge of how to use it, so you don't unintentionally fry your whole system testing a wire or relay. The problem for me with BMW is our local dealership that serviced our bikes was poorly ran, didn't stock items necessary to keep the bikes operational, were routinely waiting for parts to be shipped from across the pond, and the repairs were insanely expensive compared to the Honda. Some of the responses sound like justification to get a new bike, which I understand and have mastered in my own house and totally understand. Like the old saying goes, my biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my cars and motorcycles for what I told her they cost :rofl1:

Just a question but what is everyone doing that is tearing their rotator cuffs? Is it a riding injury, picking up the bike injury, or something unrelated to the sport?
I can't put my fingers on the exact cause, but I've got one on my left side - though I'm positive it's not related to motorcycling.

I didn't know I had one, until a recent visit to the VA for another reason - I happen to mention a pain when I moved my left arm a "certain way".
Doctor: place the back of your hand here (lower middle back)
Me: did so ... ouch!
Doctor: torn rotator

OP
OP
Steve398

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
Hi mcarver,
Left side rotator cuff severely damaged by accepting a friends word that she had turned the electric supply off when I did a repair on a light fitting - unquestionably my own stupid fault for not checking. It actually ripped the muscle apart, in addition it also destroyed the anchor tendon that secures the shoulder blade. I may have got the terminology wrong, but sufficient damage that it cannot be repaired and in the words of my surgeon “See you in 5 years for a new shoulder”.
The right side was whilst sliding down the stairs on my back having lost my footing at the top. In the process my right elbow hit a stair and was jerked up, damaging the right cuff.
It’s a very easy to do and common injury, but I’d preferred not to have done it !
BTW, the ‘Black Rat’ bit under my name means that I’m a retired Police Motorcyclist or LEO on your side of the pond...

Last edited:
Bike
2012 ST1300A
Hi mcarver,
Left side rotator cuff severely damaged by accepting a friends word that she had turned the electric supply off when I did a repair on a light fitting - unquestionably my own stupid fault for not checking. It actually ripped the muscle apart, in addition it also destroyed the anchor tendon that secures the shoulder blade. I may have got the terminology wrong, but sufficient damage that it cannot be repaired and in the words of my surgeon “See you in 5 years for a new shoulder”.
The right side was whilst sliding down the stairs on my back having lost my footing at the top. In the process my right elbow hit a stair and was jerked up, damaging the right cuff.
It’s a very easy to do and common injury, but I’d preferred not to have done it !
BTW, the ‘Black Rat’ bit under my name means that I’m a retired Police Motorcyclist or LEO on your side of the pond...
Man, I am so sorry to hear about both your injuries. I was almost killed when I let my buddy turn off the breaker for his 220 so I could hard wire his compressor. Fortunately, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up so I went and checked the box. Instead of turning off the main, he just turned off the dryer circuit which was not the 220 circuit we were using. I hope your surgery goes good when and if you need it and thanks for your service.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Also sorry to hear of you guy's close call. My education to electricity came as I was trouble shooting a power supply big can capacitor was in a hurry and forgot to discharge it. Scared the pee out of me. No i did not get shocked but it welded the screw driver to the lead of the capacitor. Today I get out the multimeter and check the voltage and continuity before i start taking things apart.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Hi mcarver,
... in addition it also destroyed the anchor tendon that secures the shoulder blade. I may have got the terminology wrong, but sufficient damage that it cannot be repaired and in the words of my surgeon “See you in 5 years for a new shoulder”.
When I destroyed the tendon connecting my left bicep they pieced me back together using a cadaver tendon. Still working.

st1300doug

I rode my '06 from new to 94,500 miles. Yep...a fine bike...just a PIG. (Too heavy) Went to a Yammy FJR1300. ONE HUNDRED pounds lighter, 25 more H.P. & and all and some more amenities. (To be fair....I wanted that AE paddle shifter...) Love it. The ST-owned by my brother now....did me well for the miles and 13 years of ownership.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #
To answer caldercay's good question on why I moved from an ST1300 to my current RT:

1--after 11 years and 50K miles on the ST, I was ready to try something new. I feel shallow saying so, but it's the truth.
2--BMW suspension. I had a BMW before the ST and liked the handling and suspension. With the new adjustable suspension, it's a great ride. I keep it on soft and it is PLUSH.
3--I wanted traction control and whatever gizmo keeps the front tire on the ground. I've felt the front tire rise on both bikes and do not like
4--the BMW is really fun to ride. It revs up quickly in each gear like it's in a hurry. It really is fun to ride.
5--It is lighter by about 100+ lbs, easier to move around
6--It is surprisingly smooth shifting, with the lightest clutch pull ever.
7--I like most of its tech gizmos, except the radio--which is inferior compared to custom earplugs and an ipod nano.

Cheers

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
To answer caldercay's good question on why I moved from an ST1300 to my current RT:

1--after 11 years and 50K miles on the ST, I was ready to try something new. I feel shallow saying so, but it's the truth.
2--BMW suspension. I had a BMW before the ST and liked the handling and suspension. With the new adjustable suspension, it's a great ride. I keep it on soft and it is PLUSH.
3--I wanted traction control and whatever gizmo keeps the front tire on the ground. I've felt the front tire rise on both bikes and do not like
4--the BMW is really fun to ride. It revs up quickly in each gear like it's in a hurry. It really is fun to ride.
5--It is lighter by about 100+ lbs, easier to move around
6--It is surprisingly smooth shifting, with the lightest clutch pull ever.
7--I like most of its tech gizmos, except the radio--which is inferior compared to custom earplugs and an ipod nano.

Cheers
Thanks for sharing these Bill. I appreciate hearing your experiences.
John

OP
OP
Steve398

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
RTs are great bikes but I went K ... much smoother and great power, nice Beemers
I’ve ridden K’s in the past, great bike with a super engine but exemplifies the reason that I left the Pan... too heavy!

Bike
2005 st1300
You might wish to test the R1250GS ADV while you are riding BMW's. The large tank with an aftermarket shield gives as much wind protection as an RT but the legroom is about 3-1/2" longer. Plus it is lighter still and easier to work on because of the more limited tupperware.
I took your advice and looked into the ergos of the 1250GS and got sidetracked into dreaming of the s1000xr. That thing is sweeet. Similar egos and lighter still. Do you have any thoughts on this Beemer Lee, or anyones experience or thoughts for that matter.

Last edited:
Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I took your advice and looked into the ergos of the 1250GS and got sidetracked into dreaming of the s1000xr. That thing is sweeet. Similar egos and lighter still. Do you have any thoughts on this Beemer Lee, or anyones experience or thoughts for that matter.
@Tor to the batphone please! Tor has both. His information would be better than mine, but I don't see the ergos as comparable and the buzz and frenetic nature of the S1000 is not my cuppa Joe. Plus, I am not mature enough to manage it without show-stopping law enforcement implications.

Bike
2005 st1300
@Tor to the batphone please! Tor has both. His information would be better than mine, but I don't see the ergos as comparable and the buzz and frenetic nature of the S1000 is not my cuppa Joe. Plus, I am not mature enough to manage it without show-stopping law enforcement implications.
Yes, it is certainly more on the sport side of sport/touring. That is fine by me as long as it still has a decent level of comfort for touring. I am reading a lot of reports that they have addressed the buzzing vibration in the new models of the XR. Hopefully @Tor chimes in with his thoughts. I was going to go into the BMW dealer today but it's an hour drive and I can't ride anything yet anyway so I'm going to wait until I get my ST out and then I'll start looking and hopefully riding some new ones

Top Bottom