new BMW K1600 due out soon

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Here is some info regarding the K1600 in Canada. Got this from a dealer friend.

Yep - we get both bikes......Won't know pricing until December business
meeting. I was told the 1600 GT would replace the 1300 GT, but we have the
1300 still on the order pad? So I don't know exactly what's going on. I
know that BMW has "several" 2010 - 1300's still in stock, so I expect I'll
have the arm put on me to take one of the non-currents, as well as the
2011's.

If I had to guess, the GT/L will be aimed squarely (price-wise) at the Wing,
and the GT probably 10-15% less. So likely that's mean $30-ish for the L
and 26-27 -ish for the GT. The comparable 1300 GT would have been in the
25-26 range, so we'll see how smart I am.

Bad news-good news for us with the new GTL is that Honda isn't importing any
2011 Wings, so we'll have the market to ourselves, but the bad side is they
have enough 09's and 10's in the warehouse to carry the year ( at
significant discounts I'm sure).

Rod

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Re: Sure resembles the ST1300!

I'm reserving judgement, though, until I see what they have done with the final drive. Meantime, if I work three jobs, stop paying my taxes, and eat cat food, I could save up enough to consider one...
And just what's wrong with cat food? Be sure to query the attendees at The CattHouse event this weekend. :D

Bike
ST1100
STOC #
TYPICAL BMW
Not many have tried, even less have succeeded in dropping a six-cylinder engine in a series production motorcycle but the boffins at BMW's Motorrad division are determined to make it work.
So what was the fabulous Honda CBX 1000
What the press said at that bikes launch
Honda intended for the CBX to help re-establish the company's position at the forefront of motorcycle technology. American journalists were first introduced to the bike in 1977; a first review appeared in Cycle magazine. The review called the CBX a "breakthrough for the Japanese motorcycle industry" and praised its design, concept, and performance.

Lets not forget Benelli’s Sei, Kawasaki’s Z1300 and whats that other 6 cylinder machine ?? Oh I remember it's a Goldwing.
Cheeky ruddy BMW I say.

Bike
BMW R1200RT
TYPICAL BMW

Lets not forget Benelli?s Sei, Kawasaki?s Z1300 and whats that other 6 cylinder machine ?? Oh I remember it's a Goldwing.
Cheeky ruddy BMW I say.
I would say depending on how it's priced, BMW might have a hit on their hands. As for the CBX and Z1300, those were back in the late 70's and early 80's, well ahead of their time, the Benelli brand has been mostly nonexistent in the US market and the GW, well, the GW is a great bike.

STOC #
Well, ladies and gentlemen, I want to introduce you to my next bike, the K1600GT (with topcase). I am in love. I figure in about 4 more years, when my trusty RT is hovering around 125,000 miles, I will upgrade to this beauty! I reserve final judgement when I test ride one, but based on the specs and looks alone.... wow. BMW has a hit on their hands, that is for sure. Price is paramount to some bike purchasers, but at this level of fit and features, I think the price may just be worth it to most prospective buyers. I would hazard to guess 22K for a nicely equipped GT and just over 25K for the GTL. In the next couple of months we shall see.

STOC #
I think that may be hazardously low, Chris. I hope you're right.
No, I think I am probably not far off the mark... The RT comes in at 17,800 and is 19K and change for all the options... I can't see the 1600GT being 25K or over and then another 2-3,000 for the GTL... that would be too much of a spread between the GT and RT. BMWs pricing between models touches the 2K mark a lot (F800GS maxed out at 13,500 to the 15K price of a standard 1200GS). If they go close to the 30K mark for a totally loaded GTL with every conceivable option, then I predict not many will be selling (nor ordered by dealers for stock). The current K1200LT touches 25K with all the bells and whistles and while older tech and older powerplant, I gotta think BMW is going to aim for that price on a nicely equipped KGTL. But we will see.

I still stand by my assertion that this bike is going to be the one to beat for my replacement bike. I like what I see, especially after the video from their corporate site of it in action.

But I am several years away from even considering moving on from my current ride.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
I'm with you, Chris. It's looks like a very nice bike. I'll buy one when my ST hits 125K. That's about 50k from now.:D

Bike
K 1200 GT
K1600 twins, and thoughts for Honda

From the "Hell for Leather" magazine report on Beemer's new K1600GT and LT twins

> 160.5 hp
> 765 pounds wet (140 lbs less than a Wing)
> 0-62 mph in 3.4 s
> 467 lb. load capacity (on top of fuel)
> 7.0 gallon tank
> 40 mpg at true 75 mph

Official roll-out of the new BMW K-1600 series:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/images/gallery/KGT_gallery_10.jpg

http://www.bmwmoa.org/images/gallery/gt_more_K1600s_037.jpg

Article w/ more pix:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/news/general_interest/bmw_unveils_k1600s_at_intermot

I'm sure they will be incredible bikes -- BMW wouldn't produce anything less.

But for this post my question is -- How will Honda respond? Or, more accurately (given product cycle lead times) what did Honda predict?

I read with interest the "Dear Honda" thread on this forum, and thought about how many of those goodies I'd like to see on the next ST (and wondered how many I'd really pay for). I remembered with interest the press coverage of the then new Accord (78?), when no one could believe that all the extras weren't options. Honda's reply was, "It's amazing how little it costs when you just put it in them all."

And I thought about the business problem of maintaining the leadership position in the "Ultimate Heavy Tour" market while presenting a meaningful presence in the "Single Up Tour" market or the "Mostly Tour but Also Sport Tour" market one or both of which we are in.

BMW offers 2 basic lines in this segment, with about 8 different models between them. And since the last major Honda product revisions on the ST and GL, Beemer has upgraded the R-line 3 times, and the K-line a couple that I know about, and I don't really keep track.

And Kawa and Yam have decided that there is enough opening in the market that they both now have serious entries (with Kawa offering a substantial update just this year -- Variable Valve Timing and performance fuel mapping, anyone?)

So what should Honda do to maintain a competitive position? -- A position where they could offer a much more frequent upgrade calendar and more options either yes or no on both the heavy and single tour lines? And answer the challenges from East and West in the way that one of the best engineering companies in the world should do.

Last year there was a rumor running around that Mom H would combine the Wing and ST into a single platform in order to solve this problem.

I would offer that this is much of how BMW has succeeded in their market position. Honda could -- while not sharing the frame platform -- share a common engine, transmission, and electronics package, which are much of the cost of designing and production tooling, and reduce the cost of upgrades to both platforms.

By any measure, the tour bike segment -- whether sport tour or heavy tour -- is a small portion of the market.

We'll never get to choose yes or no on cruise control, satnav, heated seat/grips, auto-shifting trans (like the VFR), and many others, in the portion of the market we represent (much less performance improvements like variable valve-timing (which Honda brought to production cars 20 years ago)), unless we combine our needs with others who have common interests.

We won't have these choices unless Honda combines some of the more expensive aspects of design and production among the various lines.

The costs of design and implementation are just too great.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
See post # 66 regarding pricing. This comes from a BMW dealer (granted Canadian) who is a pretty astute guy. One thing you have to keep in mind......the manufacturers keep their dealers in the dark to much the same extent as their customers. The NA dealers DO NOT know what their cost is going to be at this point.
Rod

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
The people who write BMW' s promotional copy (or perhaps the ones who translate it to English) do not seem to worry about facts when slinging superlatives:

"Weighing 102.6 kilograms, the engine is by far the lightest serially produced 6-cylinder in-line engine for motorcycles in the class." (Um, as compared to all the other serially produced 6-cylinder in-line engines for motorcycles in the class?)

I posted a question earlier and got not response, so one more time. It looks like there is next to no space between the cylinder walls and the cutaways don't show any channels where coolant would flow between them. How do you keep the motor uniformly cool? I'm guessing BMW has thought about this but I haven't seen where they've communicated their thinking.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I can't answer your question Bones but I would like to hear an explanation. That is not much room. I have been looking at all the options when it comes time to replace my ST, but that won't be for a while yet. I plan to keep my ST until she has at least 150K on the clock and I am only at 95K now. So I will just be patient and see what comes from Honda. But the BMW sure is nice!

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
If I am buying a new K1600 GT for $16,133,,, that is a lot of coin...

I want to know,,, the bike will run flawlessly for at LEAST,,, 100,000 miles with miminal items to worry about...

The engine makes me itch,,, granted... But,,, will it do 100,000 miles and not get toasted after the warranty is through,,, are big questions for me...

I want,,, this bike,,, just not sure it would be my 100,000 mile bike as upkeep and service I might spend another bikes price in 100,000 miles...

I do not want a bike that I worry how much it cost to own...

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
If I am buying a new K1600 GT for $16,133,,, that is a lot of coin...

I doubt you can buy a BMW K1600GT for anywhere close to $16,133 unless it's wrecked. A K1300GT is around $22 large and I bet the bigger bike ain't any cheaper. One web site had the GTL (don't remember the Euros) at $30,000+ US.

I realize some need the biggest and baddest, nothing wrong with that. My question is how would one even come close to the using the capabilities of today's sport-tourers? I'm not near done with my ST1100, but if I were in the market for a new ST, I would be more interested in the 90-100HP bike. Not a Beemer fan so that leaves a Moto Guzzi Norge and Honda ST1300 (yea, I know it's a few ponies over 100).

Ralph Sims

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
Me likes the GT. But my raven super tenere will be added next year and keeping my 04 ST since can't get much out of it in dollars and it rides great still, so will ride it until-----. My 08 FJR will still stay in the stable too so no room and way too cheap a bastage to pay close to $20,000 or mucho more for a motorcycle so guess no 1600GT for me :(.

JDP

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Until you suffer a tipover and discover the cost of new engine casings etc......

I think this bike is overkill and is a bit like the Bugatti Veyron, over the top and over priced.

My 2p(c).

Top Bottom