New brake problem - Help!

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
The dealer just put on new tires and EBC Sintered HH brake pads all around.

I rode home from the dealer with my earplugs and didn't notice anything wrong, but this morning, in a ride around the neighborhood without earplugs, I could hear the brakes dragging. Lots of scraping noise coming from the front.

Yesterday, I made several hard stops with the fronts and several with the rear.

In a 2 mile ride, never over 30 mph, with little braking, both front discs are too hot to touch and the rear disc is very warm.

On the center stand, a spin of the rear tire gets me almost one turn, with brake noise.

A spin or the front tire gets me about a 1/4-1/2 a turn, with brake noise.

All of the noise I hear when riding seems to come from the front.

I have never removed a wheel myself, or done brakes.

HELP!!!

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had a front right one rub when I installed pads for the first time. Check the tabs on the opposite side of the pin on the pads. I missed the slot that it is supposed to go in on the right inner pad. It rubbed and created a bit of heat. The rear EBC pads squeaked for a few hundred miles, then the squeak went away. Also did the tech clean the pistons of all the crud on them before he pushed them back into the caliper.
Might be a trip back to the shop.

v8-7

Site Supporter
I'd pull out the pads and spin the tire and see if it's normal.

If not they probably put the wheel on wrong .

If yes, examine the caliper . The pistons should be almost all the way in .Examine the brake pads and carefully reinstall and see what, if anything is restricting the movement .

Maybe call the dealer and have him pick it up .

I might be able to get out there next week if you still need the help.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Could be yet another case of pad replacement without caliper cleaning..... dealer should be asked precisely what was done.....

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
During the recent 90,000 mile service to my 1100, all the brake pads were replace with HH type. I noticed the slight noise coming from the brakes and just figured it was the harder compound in the HH pads. The wheels spin ok and I haven't had any heat issues. I can hear the sound even when moving the bike by hand inside of the garage. I did clean the calipers before remounting them...

OP
OP
stgolfer
Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Well - I took it back to the dealer along with pages 6-8 from the STwiki front wheel set-up.

When I got there, the guy reached down and touched the left rotor and said "Oww! $#!t".

They took it into the back, took everything apart, verified the spacers were in correctly. Torqued everything back up to spec, took it for a ride and said - "here ya go".

I put the bike on the centerstand and spun the front wheel. Lots of brake drag, 1/4 - 1/2 a turn. I looked at him and said "you're kidding, right?" He looked at me and said "It's not supposed to turn any more than that on an ST. The wheel is mounted and torqued correctly, the brake pads are in correctly and the calipers are mounted correctly. Here's your keys. Bye, bye. Have a nice weekend". And then he walked inside.

I stood there in shock for a moment. No manager there on Saturday afternoon. Got on the bike, rode it home averaging about 32-36mpg at 70mph. WTH?

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Did you have OEM pads put in or after market pads? If aftermarket pads, that might be the difference. Also the pads for 08 and newer ST are a different part# than the earlier models. I have always used OEM pads for my 03. never any issues.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Did you have OEM pads put in or after market pads? If aftermarket pads, that might be the difference. Also the pads for 08 and newer ST are a different part# than the earlier models. I have always used OEM pads for my 03. never any issues.
EBC stated in first post... the OEMs would be thicker anyway so that wouldn't matter and the 08 Front pads are different and wouldn't even fit a pre-08 bike. He's got an '03.

Has the brake fluid been topped off since the last pad change? If so, there could have been too much fluid in the system when new pads were added.

Wish I could get my hands on the bike to look, it may be an SMC failure.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Just sounds wrong... both dealer and wheel.

BTW, I can give my front wheel a good spin and get about 2 full turns out of it

OP
OP
stgolfer
Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
EBC stated in first post... the OEMs would be thicker anyway so that wouldn't matter and the 08 Front pads are different and wouldn't even fit a pre-08 bike. He's got an '03.

Has the brake fluid been topped off since the last pad change? If so, there could have been too much fluid in the system when new pads were added.

Wish I could get my hands on the bike to look, it may be an SMC failure.
Brake fluid has not been topped off, though I'm way past due for fluid change. It does look clear, though.

I don't think it's a SMC failure. I can hear the rear brake when using the front lever. Spinning the rear tire, then pushing the front left caliper forward immediately stops the rear wheel.

The rear drags a little, but no more than it always has, but the front has significantly more drag and lots of noise I can hear when running 30-50mph. After that, wind noise takes over.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Can you post a pic of both the left and right side of the wheel so we can see what it looks like?

OP
OP
stgolfer
Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Mine will only go about 1 turn.

Did it get as hot on the way home ?
Not as hot as before, but still pretty warm. I can touch the rotors, but can't leave my finger on them. Still noisy and still less than 1/2 turn.

Can you post a pic of both the left and right side of the wheel so we can see what it looks like?
I'll try, but it'll be with my phone. What exactly do you want to see?

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
If the collars are installed correctly (would like pics to confirm), I'm next wondering what the caliper-puck-pad-disc-pad-puck-caliper stack looks like, on each of the front brakes.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If the collars are installed correctly (would like pics to confirm), I'm next wondering what the caliper-puck-pad-disc-pad-puck-caliper stack looks like, on each of the front brakes.
+1.....

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, the collars look okay to me...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I would probably pull the res cover and check the fluid level and maybe take a little out, just under the fill line to see if that helps.

You said you're way past due a brake fluid change, it could be it's contaminated and new pads just brought out that situation.. just guessing.

Top Bottom