Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Methinks he has the triple-bypass-special for breakfast... ;)
What's so interesting is that I have 'familial hypocholesterolemia' - genetic high cholesterol levels.
It really makes little difference what I eat, what I do, or what I weigh - it's always going to be incredibly high.
Without medication it is 450-550, with medication it's about 220-235.
That is due to a 'defect' in chromosome 19, IIRC.
What drives the doctors nuts is that I also have a genetic 'defect' that I do not clog at all - no occlusion anywhere in my circulatory system (tons of tests done).
The doctor that cut open my leg artery to remove a blood clot from the aneurysm stent was surprised - "You're arteries are incredibly clear!"
I just don't fit in the 'normal' medical narrative but their 'solution' is always trying to get me to take more 'medicine' for a problem I don't have. ;)
As I told one "Since it is genetic, I've had since I was born. If it hasn't killed me in 65+ years, there's a great chance I'll make it another 30 or so. By then I'll be 100 and something else will probably kill me!" :biggrin:

BTW, here's some interesting research I did based on .gov websites about cholesterol and medications for it.
See if you see a 'pattern' ;) -

Cholesterol chart –
1983 - 260-279 - Below this was acceptable
1986 - 240-259 - Level was lowered - below this was now acceptable
1987 - Mevacor FDA approved (first statin IIRC)
1990 - 200-219 - Level was lowered again - below this was now acceptable
1991 - Zocor, Pravachol FDA approved (two new statins)

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
What's so interesting is that I have 'familial hypocholesterolemia' - genetic high cholesterol levels.
My docs tell me that mine are simply reversed... also genetically... (so the numbers are "ideal" just in the wrong place of the printout...)

And in re to the 'pattern' I'd sense a marketing scheme... the pamphlets at the doctor's waiting room had full page adds from vegetable oil and margarine brands inside... ;)

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Well, I had my annual physical yesterday so I reckon I've got 6 months before I have to go back.
I figured 'Why not celebrate at my favorite hamburger place?' and I did -

A Real Hamburger Again.jpg

Got to die of something but at least this something leaves a big smile on your face! :biggrin:
That is their 'double 1/2 pound bacon cheese burger' and yes there is one pound of hamburger meat on it.

Soda Pop Junction.jpg

It's a great ride to get there so that just helps you work up a proper appetite.;)
That is the proper way to go!

Top Bottom