Portable m/c jump starters

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I've been thinking about getting one of these doodads to keep on the bike. One thing I'd like it to be able to do is connect via the SAE connector like for a battery tender. One of the last ones I looked at it said it was not to be used with that connection. Seems like most I see are actual jumper cable clamps but smaller. Anyone know if they can be used with SAE connectors?
Seems like many folks have this lead hanging from their bike so it would make sense to use versus having to take a cover off, remove a type of clamp, slide the battery out (if your battery runs across the bike vs the length of the bike) and maybe also remove the other leads that are already on the bank.

Skip

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
So, of course as soon as I post something here or anywhere I find what I need right after. :doh1:
Check out this video. Pretty much describes exactly what I was asking for as long as you also get the quick connect kit also. Good 'ole Amazon has it for about $10 less too.

Bike
2010 ST1300
So, of course as soon as I post something here or anywhere I find what I need right after.
Clever idea. I'd just ordered another similar portable jump starter. On my ST, I took two pieces of #6 welding cable, painted one red, crimped an eye on one end and a barrel connector on the other, insulated the barrel sleeve with plastic tubing taped for security, and installed those on my battery. If I needed to jump the bike, all I had to do was pull the seat or thread those two cables outside for use.

A few points. The PBJ700-1 shown on Amazon for $147 does not include the SAE adapter or the connector on pigtails that goes on your battery. I did not see the SAE adapter or that special connector on Amazon unless you pop for a $96 accessory kit. (I must have missed it).

Another of our regular posters said these portable jump starters do not last more than around 3 years - he uses them professionally. That was, of course, refuted by another poster pretty quickly. I do know my Shorai lithium battery for my ST wanted a special charger and special care - discharging to 60% for 3 month or longer storage. It is possible these jump starters are optimized for longer storage, I don't know, but I bought mine only because I now have two car and one mc battery older than 3 1/2 years and my wife an I will be going on day trips this spring and summer to rural areas.

How often do you jump your bike that you need a special Scoche plug in adapter? I used a borrowed jump starter half a dozen times over the weekend at an STOC rally. I had no special leads on my bike back then and had to take the side cover off to access the battery. Yes it was a bit akward, but doable. Would I pay a premium for that special adapter/lead? No - it smells like insurance to me - the basic jump starter is good enough.

Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
I highly recomend geting one. You never know when you'll need one but that day will come when you least expect it. My son left his driving lights on when his bike was turned off at one of our pit stops coming back from Pie Town NM on our way to AZ. The small jump box bailed us out in a big way.

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Watching most of the video, the SAE connector adapter is for using a battery tender on your bike, not for jumpstarting others, It will probably melt the wires. To much power when jumping for the gauge of a tender wire.
The way I understood it was that you do a one time swap of the current tender SAE adapter and you install their quick connect which would be used for the jump start and their SAE adapter then plugs into the tender SAE. Correct?

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
The way I understood it was that you do a one time swap of the current tender SAE adapter and you install their quick connect which would be used for the jump start and their SAE adapter then plugs into the tender SAE. Correct?
No Sir, that adapter to SAE is so you can have the "jump" option on your bike, and you can plug in any tender. The Amps for charging are low, jumping needs high. That is why jumper cables are thick and tender wires are thin.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I have this similar on my bike, with the connector attached to the battery, coming out under the seat:

I've used it once when I was starting my bike after some maintenance and ran down the battery. Seemed to work well and the wires didn't melt.

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
A few points. The PBJ700-1 shown on Amazon for $147 does not include the SAE adapter or the connector on pigtails that goes on your battery. I did not see the SAE adapter or that special connector on Amazon unless you pop for a $96 accessory kit. (I must have missed it).

How often do you jump your bike that you need a special Scoche plug in adapter? I used a borrowed jump starter half a dozen times over the weekend at an STOC rally. I had no special leads on my bike back then and had to take the side cover off to access the battery. Yes it was a bit awkward, but doable. Would I pay a premium for that special adapter/lead? No - it smells like insurance to me - the basic jump starter is good enough.
Looks to me like you would buy the PBJ700 and the quick connect kit. You connect the main plug to your battery which would plug into the PBJ700 if you needed a jump. The quick connector kit also comes with the SAE adapter that you connect to the main plug and the end coming from the tender.

I haven't had to jump my bike much. Maybe 2-3 times in 10 yrs or so. Just seems like a nice thing to have if needed or if someone else needs a jump.

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
No Sir, that adapter to SAE is so you can have the "jump" option on your bike, and you can plug in any tender. The Amps for charging are low, jumping needs high. That is why jumper cables are thick and tender wires are thin.
Are you sure?? Like I said 1 post above, you connect the main plug (red/black lead) to your battery which would plug into the PBJ700 if you needed a jump. The quick connector kit also comes with the SAE adapter that you connect to the main plug and the end coming from the tender. Am I seeing this the wrong way?

Is this thick enough? Package of two $14 bucks. You would need to add the battery rings. (Amazon)
10AWG SAE Connector Extension Cable, (2Pack) SAE Quick Connector Disconnect Plug SAE Automotive Extension Cable, Solar Panel SAE Plug- 30cm/1ft

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Am I seeing this the wrong way?
No you're not. You got it right. I like this kit. You plug either the jump starter or SAE charging lead into the heavy duty connector. No blown fuses.

That connector doesn't seem to match my jump starters. So it seems a Scoche starter and kit connect kit will be needed. It might be a DIN adapter of some nature. I'm interested in this. Thanks for the info.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Are you sure?? Like I said 1 post above, you connect the main plug (red/black lead) to your battery which would plug into the PBJ700 if you needed a jump. The quick connector kit also comes with the SAE adapter that you connect to the main plug and the end coming from the tender. Am I seeing this the wrong way?
You are correct in your reply to my post and your question above. The SAE adapter from their harness will allow you to use most small electrical draw devices and charge your battery with a battery tender type charger. The jump pack will be good to help someone else, but not through the SAE adapter - that will not carry starting current.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Is this thick enough?
No. The jumpstarter in question is rated at 700A. SAE connectors tend to top out at 15A. Now maybe there's a heavy duty higher rated SAE 2.0 version but I haven't heard of one.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Is this thick enough? Package of two $14 bucks. You would need to add the battery rings. (Amazon)
10AWG SAE Connector Extension Cable, (2Pack) SAE Quick Connector Disconnect Plug SAE Automotive Extension Cable, Solar Panel SAE Plug- 30cm/1ft
Ten gauge wire is probably ok for a short piece to jump a bike (say under 2'). If you do use #10 wire, keep an eye on it as you jump the bike. If it starts smoking STOP. 8 AWG is better, and I used #6 welding cable for the pigtails off my battery.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm confused, sorry.
The wire/cable is part of the equation. Your chart doesn't mention cable lengths. The longer the cable the greater the resistance. The more resistance the less current a given size can handle.

The connectors connected to the wire/cable are a different part. The connector has to handle the same current (at least) as the wire or there may be some risk involved. So can that SAE connector handle 700A? Just a guess on my part but I think not. But maybe it can short term. If it can't it would limit the current from the jump starter. Would it be enough? Maybe?

Top Bottom