Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My only question is, do they have an adapter that would allow me to connect my Slime PowerSport compressor to it?
First you have to find out if the PJBQC kit (if that's what you're referring to) is compatible with your GB40. If so then you need an idea of how much current you Slime pump draws. Temporarily replace 7.5A fuse in the Scosche SAE adapter with a higher rated fuse.

An example: on a trip to MT I pickup up a nail in my tire and it was down to 18lbs. My ST buddy connected his small Slime pump to his Tender SAE connector. But as expected it blew the 7.5A fuse. This is the rating I found in every one of my Battery Tender SAE leads.

He replaced the blown fuse with a 30A fuse and the pump ran until my tire was at 50lbs. That took maybe 5 min maybe more. It seemed like an eternity. (The plug held very well as was still at 50lbs the next morning.) There was no discernible heat to the SAE lead. No issues. I'm sure the Slime drew much less than 30A. Maybe somewhere around 15A.

I'd test that and maybe settle on a 20A fuse only when needing to run the pump. Look for smoke in the air while running the pump and check the lead for heat.

That's what I'd do. I'm not recommending you do it because should you die a fiery death I wouldn't want that on my conscience. :D

If the PBJQC isn't compatible with your Noco you could also just make a separate heavier gauge SAE pigtail with a higher capacity fuse and connect connect it directly to the terminals.

I have a NOCO GB40. The cable and connector would be great for jump starting the bike. My only question is, do they have an adapter that would allow me to connect my Slime PowerSport compressor to it?
I have a NOCO jump start, as well. 1000A. It comes with a cable that bolts to the battery with their style connector plug. The wire is 8 gauge.
I have found (Amazon) a 8 gauge wire SAE cable. It has SAE at both ends, 24 in long. They also sell 8 gauge lug rings. The SAE plugs are pretty much the common style for all my bikes and the various gadgets.
So is it a faulty assumption that if NOCO uses 8 gauge ... then other 8 gauge cables will carry the load?

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Wow! I didn’t mean to cause such chaos.

I’m not really sure where I stand with whether this setup will work or cause a major meltdown. All this talk of this gauge wire and that gauge wire has me all uncertain.

Can someone please verify?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
It does seem OP had a thought and it would probably end badly. Using the SAE battery tender connection on my bike with a 700a jump will certainly end badly.
There is no SAE battery tender connection used for boosting with this kit. A heavy gauge wire kit is permanently connected directly to the battery. This wire kit has a connector on the other end that plugs directly in to the jump starter to boost the battery.

A separate fused SAE adapter cable is also provided. This adapter plugs in to the permanently installed heavy gague wire. The other end of this wire has a standard SAE connector which can be used to plug in a battery tender, heated gear, etc.. This SAE adapter wire must be removed in order to plug in the booster pack.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Wow! I didn’t mean to cause such chaos.

I’m not really sure where I stand with whether this setup will work or cause a major meltdown. All this talk of this gauge wire and that gauge wire has me all uncertain.

Can someone please verify?
Their ad states:
The 5/8” ring terminal connectors work with most battery terminal posts or clamp bolts. Design with a 10GA Oxygen-free Copper conductors for maximum current delivery and corrosion-resistance.

If this means that the booster cable provided is 10 gauge, it will work fine for boosting the battery with the booster pack.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
So is it a faulty assumption that if NOCO uses 8 gauge ... then other 8 gauge cables will carry the load?
What do you mean by "other 8 gauge cables"? Are you going to extend them? If the cables aren't too long and the duration too great you'll probably be dandy. Just keep an eye out for smoke in the air.

If you're talking about "other 8ga cables" solely for the SAE extension to use for charging then 8ga is overkill but won't hurt anything.

I don't know the gauge of the cables for my jump starter. They look like 10ga but that could be all insulation. Anyway both times I used my jump starter the car starter didn't turn for 5s. Maybe 2. It started as though there were a brand new battery fully charged installed. A normal start —normally short but faster spinning. No worries here.

That's not to say that leaving the lights/IGN on won't be the straw that has you're battery go T/U. Stuff happens.

I’m not really sure where I stand with whether this setup will work or cause a major meltdown.
You got it right in back in post #13. Your summation agrees with the video and Andrew's summation. It will work – no melt down. Not even a minor one. Well I won't mention anything about pilot error.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I've considered getting one of these since I got my NC 750 DCT...cause there is no bump starting a DCT. You are just a dead duck if the battery dies. So I am reading this thread with interest. Little confused though as to whether it will jump through the battery tender pigtail. It appears some are saying yes and some are saying no. Batteries on new bikes are not easy to get to these days.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Little confused though as to whether it will jump through the battery tender pigtail.
No! Such battery tender wires are way too thin to handle the load/current by the starter motor safely.

IIRC can an 8AWG handle up to 75A
Wires of a battery tender are likely 24AWG or such, max ~3A...
(always found the AWG system quite confusing, we rate them in mm²...)

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I have a NOCO GB40. The cable and connector would be great for jump starting the bike. My only question is, do they have an adapter that would allow me to connect my Slime PowerSport compressor to it?
Scosche said on that link above (amazon's q and a section) that the conector is proprietary and it will not fit any other batteries. That was Scosche's answer to someone who asked your question. Clearly they want to sell the whole kit, or at least a battery costing well north of $100. Our choices seem to be to wait for @Larry Fine to report back if the connector does fit his battery, or to risk $25, get the adapter from amazon, see if it fits your particular jump battery and return it to Amazon if it does not. Please report back here if you try the latter. Scosche does sell a SAE adapter to go from their connector to most SAE plugs, so presumably that adapter will power up your compressor.

The wire/cable is part of the equation. Your chart doesn't mention cable lengths. The longer the cable the greater the resistance. The more resistance the less current a given size can handle.

The connectors connected to the wire/cable are a different part. The connector has to handle the same current (at least)as the wire or there may be some risk involved. So can that SAE connector handle 700A? Just a guess on my part but I think not. But maybe it can short term. If it can't it would limit the current from the jump starter. Would it be enough? Maybe?
SAE conector should have and do have its own fuse... Don't use it for jump starting..
Always conect jump cabel to the battery directly... Like on cars...
But, I assume your ST battery is dead...
I have same issue a month ago...
All is working but not starter... Check and change the battery... Problem solved..

Bike
2010 ST1300
No, that's a good assumption.
Wow! I didn’t mean to cause such chaos. Can someone please verify?
Skip, consider it an honor to stir the nest as thoroughly as you did. Don't sweat the details, if you use Scosche's kit and their adapters you should be fine and have no problems. The discussions are pointing out issues that arise when folks try to mix and match other products with one brand's goods. If you use their adapter on your battery, and their SAE connector, you can use your SAE accessories with no worries - slime compressors, a Battery Tender with an SAE connector, etc. You cannot jump start the bike through the SAE connector - only Scosche's connector that plugs into their jump starter. Reread @Andrew Shadow's postr #45.
Their ad states: The 5/8” ring terminal connectors work with most battery terminal posts or clamp bolts. Design with a 10GA Oxygen-free Copper conductors for maximum current delivery and corrosion-resistance. If this means that the booster cable provided is 10 gauge, it will work fine for boosting the battery with the booster pack.
Interesting. Scosche's answer to the question re wire GA was it is 12 AWG on Amazon. Regardless, if you use their hardware it should work well. Mix and match other brands and you are in uncharted territory.
You are just a dead duck if the battery dies. Little confused though as to whether it will jump through the battery tender pigtail. It appears some are saying yes and some are saying no.
NO! You cannot jump through the battery tender pigtail. It is rated at a few (under 10) amps. You need heavier ga wire w/ a larger fuse.
No! Such battery tender wires are way too thin to handle the load/current by the starter motor safely. IIRC can an 8AWG handle up to 75A
Wires of a battery tender are likely 24AWG or such, max ~3A...
Bingo! Exactly what I reiterated.

You CAN charge the battery through the battery tender pigtail, but not jump start.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Little confused though as to whether it will jump through the battery tender pigtail. It appears some are saying yes and some are saying no. Batteries on new bikes are not easy to get to these days.
No, you can not boost through the battery tender pigtail with this kit even if you wanted to. The plugs are not compatible. The booster cables that are attached permanently to the battery plugs directly in to the booster pack. You can not plug their SAE adapter cable directly in to their booster pack, so you can not boost through the SAE adapter with their booster pack.

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Okay, I cropped the two pics above. What do you guys think?
They look to be exactly the same to me.

Do you know what the designation of that plug is? Scosche's specifications refer to it as a three pin EC-5 connector. The positive connector of an EC-5 plug has one flat side so that they can not be plugged in the wrong way. In addition to the third pin, these connectors have no flat, so they do not appear to be the EC-5 standard.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
That's pretty handy given removing the seat and plastic and wedging the giant battery clamps on to small terminals.
Just an F.Y.I.. There are many of these booster packs that come with much smaller battery clamps designed for power sport battery use.
Noco also sells battery clamps that are much smaller than the standard ones that comes with their booster pack. They plug directly in to their booster packs as well.

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Okay, I cropped the two pics above. What do you guys think?

TypeSplugClose.jpg ScoscheplugClose.jpg
Just from a visual reference it appears that the smaller circle on the right pic looks like it is lower or closer to the center axis of the larger cicles.

@Larry Fine - Larry, when you get your quick connect kit(s), will you please measure the length of the red/black cable that attaches to the battery. Just the length of the cables not including the ring terminals or the Scosche proprietary connector. I'm curious to know if this will reach exiting out the left side of my bike. I asked on Amazon and I've gotten answers from 7.25"- 15" so obviously not reliable sources.
Thanks!

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Just from a visual reference it appears that the smaller circle on the right pic looks like it is lower or closer to the center axis of the larger cicles.
I did notice that, but as I'm 99% sure the third pin doesn't perform any electrical function, I imagine I can make it fit.

Larry, when you get your quick connect kit(s), will you please measure the length of the red/black cable that attaches to the battery.
Absolutely. I'm expecting them Friday. I'll post a little unboxing and review.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
OK no then lol.

So you would have to remove any plastic covering the battery and put clamps directly on the battery posts. Got it.

Just curious if anyone here has used one of these on a motorcycle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom