Portable m/c jump starters

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Scosche said on that link above (amazon's q and a section) that the conector is proprietary and it will not fit any other batteries. That was Scosche's answer to someone who asked your question. Clearly they want to sell the whole kit, or at least a battery costing well north of $100. Our choices seem to be to wait for @Larry Fine to report back if the connector does fit his battery, or to risk $25, get the adapter from amazon, see if it fits your particular jump battery and return it to Amazon if it does not. Please report back here if you try the latter. Scosche does sell a SAE adapter to go from their connector to most SAE plugs, so presumably that adapter will power up your compressor.
I ordered a SAE adapter from NOCO. It plugs into their x-connect pigtail. I should be good to go with my Slime compressor.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Scosche said on that link above (amazon's q and a section) that the conector is proprietary and it will not fit any other batteries. That was Scosche's answer to someone who asked your question. Clearly they want to sell the whole kit, or at least a battery costing well north of $100. Our choices seem to be to wait for @Larry Fine to report back if the connector does fit his battery, or to risk $25, get the adapter from amazon, see if it fits your particular jump battery and return it to Amazon if it does not. Please report back here if you try the latter. Scosche does sell a SAE adapter to go from their connector to most SAE plugs, so presumably that adapter will power up your compressor.
I ordered this one to go with their x-connect pigtail.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
They look to be exactly the same to me.
That's because they're both female connectors. The corresponding male portion has a shroud over blue bit. The small flat sides are irrelative to fitment on the 3-pin EC5 connector. The third pin restricts the connection. 2-pin EC5 connectors rely on the flat side to establish polarization. The small flats in the pic might be to establish visual orientation of polarity when wiring like the line or ridges down one conductor of zipcord. But that's a WAG on my part.

Another WAG— I've seen 2-pin EC5s in yellow and maybe read so that could denote applicable wire size much like wire nuts and crimp connectors. So these could essentially be the same connector.

I did notice that, but as I'm 99% sure the third pin doesn't perform any electrical function, I imagine I can make it fit.
Look inside the tube above the two pins when you get them. There may be a much smaller pin inside. On other jumpers I've seen this is supposed to provide voltage that tells it the clamps are reversed. It's much easier to see on jumpers using a 2-pin connectors. I wouldn't think it necessary for that function but it's plainly visible in a majority of pics.

Looking forward to the unboxing video. Everybody remember to click LIKE and Subsribe! :D

Of course, there's always the great Amazon return policy (for those who haven't abused it).

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Little confused though as to whether it will jump through the battery tender pigtail.
Here's a diagram from Scosche. It demonstrates what skipcurt said back in post 13.

st11ray's Noco SAE adapter does the same with a smaller 1-piece adapter that's used instead of a cable bit. Pretty tidy.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
OK no then lol.

So you would have to remove any plastic covering the battery and put clamps directly on the battery posts. Got it.

Just curious if anyone here has used one of these on a motorcycle.
If you meant to write
So you would NOT have to remove any plastic covering the battery and put clamps directly on the battery posts. Got it.
this is correct with this kit.

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Just got off a chat session with NOCO. They said that the SAE adapter you said you bought does not work to a standard SAE. Now we'll need confirmation from ST11Ray that it will or will not work.

Here is our chat:

Need some info about the GB40 jump starter and using it mainly for a motorcycle. Is there an adapter I can leave on the bike for when/if a boost is needed AND being able to plug in my SAE for my trickle charger?
Tony S joined the chat
Tony S: Thank you for contacting NOCO Support. We do have an eyelet cable that can be connected to the motorcycle battery.
Skip: So the red/black cable attaches to the battery and is used for jumping. Is the other adapter to plug in the SAE?
Tony S: The adapter is used to connect a battery charger. We unfortunately do not have an adapter for the Boost models to plug in an SAE cable
Skip: Does that battery charger need to be yours? Keep in mind this is a Battery Tender brand with a standard SAE connector.
Tony S: The connection is made for a NOCO battery charger
Skip: What is a GC009 and would that work to a non NOCO charger?
Tony S: This is an SAE adapter made for the battery chargers. It will not work on a Boost model
Skip: Hmm. Ok, I guess I'm out of luck then without having to buy a new trickle charger.
Tony S: We may have this accessory available in the future but at this time we do not. We apologize for this inconvenience. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Skip: Unfortunately no. Thank you.
Tony S: You are welcome. Have a good day
Tony S left the chat

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I guess you have to ask yourself, how many times have I had a dead bike that was 100% a bad battery while away from the garage? Me once in 18 years, we took the ST side panel off and used the clamps that come with the battery set. Thanks again @TPadden for the jump. I didn't even feel bad about the incident. The almost 24 hour daylight in Fairbanks was to blame and Tom was supplying the mighty fine Coldfoot Pilsner from the Silver Gulch Brewery, Fox AK. I left the key turned on all night.

Buy one, throw it in the trunk and you'll never have a dead battery.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Just got off a chat session with NOCO. They said that the SAE adapter you said you bought does not work to a standard SAE. Now we'll need confirmation from ST11Ray that it will or will not work.

Here is our chat:

Need some info about the GB40 jump starter and using it mainly for a motorcycle. Is there an adapter I can leave on the bike for when/if a boost is needed AND being able to plug in my SAE for my trickle charger?
Tony S joined the chat
Tony S: Thank you for contacting NOCO Support. We do have an eyelet cable that can be connected to the motorcycle battery.
Skip: So the red/black cable attaches to the battery and is used for jumping. Is the other adapter to plug in the SAE?
Tony S: The adapter is used to connect a battery charger. We unfortunately do not have an adapter for the Boost models to plug in an SAE cable
Skip: Does that battery charger need to be yours? Keep in mind this is a Battery Tender brand with a standard SAE connector.
Tony S: The connection is made for a NOCO battery charger
Skip: What is a GC009 and would that work to a non NOCO charger?
Tony S: This is an SAE adapter made for the battery chargers. It will not work on a Boost model
Skip: Hmm. Ok, I guess I'm out of luck then without having to buy a new trickle charger.
Tony S: We may have this accessory available in the future but at this time we do not. We apologize for this inconvenience. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Skip: Unfortunately no. Thank you.
Tony S: You are welcome. Have a good day
Tony S left the chat
Nope. It will not work. I'll have to leave my SAE lead on my battery to use my Slime compressor and my NAPA battery maintainer.

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Thought there might be a possibility of saving about $30 by going with the Noco but I guess not. Back to the Scosche.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
You can use these and make your own SAE connectors. 10 ga wire so they will handle a jumper pack. All you have to ensure is that your polarity is correct. I have wired a 15 amp fuse into the lead that I connect to the battery so I can use it to run a compressor, jump starter, battery tender, heated gear, etc.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Thought there might be a possibility of saving about $30 by going with the Noco but I guess not. Back to the Scosche.
Here's some pics Skip.
The big connector comes with the GC007. The small one is the SAE. If they would make a small one with the two big prongs to connect to the GC007 and SAE it would connect to my Slime. It looks like it would be simple for NOCO to do that but, I'm sure it would cut into their battery "tender" sales.

Attachments

Top Bottom