Pulling a trailer with the STeed

tommy5313

tom
STOC #
Hey everybody, does anybody have experience with pulling a trailer with the Steed????

I'm looking at getting a uni-go single wheel trailer. Are there any thoughts out there..:confused: :confused:

let me know..

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Diggers1300 does and so does motomac.. I'm sure they will chime in.. a few others pull 2-wheel trailers.

OP
OP
tommy5313

tommy5313

tom
STOC #
Thanks mellow, I'm actually looking at getting a single wheeled uni-go trailer, not as big as a two wheeled butt suits my needs and looks to handle well in the curves.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yeah.. I know.. both Diggers1300 and motomac have the uni-go.. I used to pull one with my Wing, never could tell it was back there.

deanrd

06 ST1300a
Bike
06 ST1300a
Yeah.. I know.. both Diggers1300 and motomac have the uni-go.. I used to pull one with my Wing, never could tell it was back there.
What did you do with it? And/or if you still have it - want to get rid of it?

Dean

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Sold it.. I know one thing, used uni-go trailers don't stay up for sale for long.

STOC #
Two things I never thought would happen

I am also considering pulling a trailer with my bike :22yikes:

And I saw a Uni-Go at Bikeweek and am actually considering spending that much:nuts1:

Maybe I should just buy a : bgw1:

Uh.............no.

not yet

Watching intently, Spencer

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I have made a couple of trips with my Unigo and it holds all of my camping equipment and I have a lot. It handles the twisties very well and my only complaint is the turbulance behind big trucks can really get the thing to wigling. That only happens when you are going 85 and over though, so you may not run quite as fast as Joe and I did on the way to DeserSToc. In clean air, it doesn't let you know it is back there until you are into triple digits. I cannot see it in my mirrors when I have my tail bag on. Without the tail bag I can just barely see the hinge on top of the trailer. It doesn't drag the gas mielage down much at all. The hitch that Unigo makes for the ST is very high quality and sturdy.

Bike
GL1800 2015
I thought I saw in the owners manual not recomended to hook up a trailer to the ST ...could this be a "warranty voided" if somrthing would happen?

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
It says that in the Gold Wing manual also, but there are a lot of Wings out there hauing all kinds of trailers. One of the first farkles I put on a new Wing is the trailer hitch. It is rare occasion that warrenty work is needed on either the Wing or the ST. I did have warrenty work done on the Wing, but nothing was mentioned about the trailer hitch on the back. Work was done and I was charged nada and away I went.

STOC #
I thought I saw in the owners manual not recomended to hook up a trailer to the ST ...could this be a "warranty voided" if somrthing would happen?
I'm sure that if you look in the manual of your cage it'll tell you the same thing. They may not recommend it, but that doesn't mean you can't do it. It just releases them of any liability if something goes wrong and it's determined that it's because you were towing a trailer. As far as warranty, I think they could only deny a claim that they can prove resulted from towing a trailer.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Honda also advises against all non-Honda-approved accessories, so take off those Tailbrights and GPS receivers...

--Mark

OP
OP
tommy5313

tommy5313

tom
STOC #
I have made a couple of trips with my Unigo and it holds all of my camping equipment and I have a lot. It handles the twisties very well and my only complaint is the turbulance behind big trucks can really get the thing to wigling. That only happens when you are going 85 and over though, so you may not run quite as fast as Joe and I did on the way to DeserSToc. In clean air, it doesn't let you know it is back there until you are into triple digits. I cannot see it in my mirrors when I have my tail bag on. Without the tail bag I can just barely see the hinge on top of the trailer. It doesn't drag the gas mielage down much at all. The hitch that Unigo makes for the ST is very high quality and sturdy.
Thanks for the info the way it sounds i will probablly go with the uni-go.......

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
At the bike shows this winter there was a guy from BC who was selling unique trailers for a bike. I can't remember his name and I didn't keep the brochure for it but it was real slick. Perhaps someone else who was at these shows can provide more info. In the meantime, I'll see what I can find out about it and pass it on.
Rod

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
+1 on the Uni-Go. I have over 12,000 miles on my Uni-Go, all pulled with the ST. In my opinion it is THE trailer to buy. I know it is pricey, but I don't regret buying it at all. If the trailer is loaded correctly (with most of the weight low and forward) this trailer pulls like a dream. Mac is correct about the dirty air of large trucks. I just approach slowly, then accelerate past. The trailer doesn't start to wiggle during moderate acceleration. I'm past the truck by the time I roll off some and no wiggle. Not too much of a problem as we ride very little slab.

I pulled it at a sustained, GPS indicated 100-110 mph coming back from Big Bend a few weeks ago. No traffic, clean air.

I have also pulled it thru the Dragon's Tail and got some pretty amazing stares. This trailer throw from side to side right along with the bike and you won't know it's there, except for a little more weighty feel during acceleration and deceleration.

PM me if you would like any other info about the Uni-Go.

PS - I will have it at Moonshine. If you are going, you can take an up close look.

Last edited:

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I'd be afraid of pulling that trailer across areas like Kansas or West Texas with some of the cross winds out there. Imagine a gust catching the underside of that trailer. :eek:

Top Bottom