Pulling a trailer with the STeed

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Doesn't look like much weather/theft protection for the gear you put in/on the thing, and all the tongue weight is up high on the back of the bike.

STOC #
Trailers. I'm sorry, I don't get it.

If you need to haul so much stuff on your bike that you need a trailer...

get a truck!

The idea of compromising the bike's handling, brakes, etc. with a trailer just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Let the flames begin!:cf1::box1: :nuke1: :Chair1:

STOC #
The idea of compromising the bike's handling, brakes, etc. with a trailer just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Let the flames begin!:cf1::box1: :nuke1: :Chair1:

Chase me through some curves sometime before you say it's a compromise. Several here have and I'm sure they will tell you I can haul azz with the trailer and was never in any compromising situation. That said, you do need to be aware your hauling a trailer, but don't try to imply that it's dangerous beyond being worth it.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
From vast experience of pulling trailers with motorcycles, I can say that you really have to be getting after it to get into extremis on any type ride to lose control because of the trailer. You would have lost the motorcycle without the trailer if you are going fast enough to lose it in a turn with a trailer. The trailer goes where the bike does. If you are too hot into a turn, you will lose it whether you have a trailer or not. The trailer will probably save your bacon and cause you to low side, rather than allow you to start high sideing.

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
You may want to look at this one made in Canada.... $995.00 CAN
http://www.monogo.com

Mark ...... 2005 ST1300 ABS
I saw a guy with this one at WeSTOC. He seemed to like it very much. I wasn't impressed. The hookup to the bike was not as solid as the Uni-go. Center of gravity is definately above the wheel, unlike the Uni-go.

Camping two-up comfortably for us requires that I pull a trailer and I don't feel that it is unsafe at all.

My $.02.

STOC #
...but don't try to imply that it's dangerous beyond being worth it.
I certainly didn't imply it's unsafe! It just makes no sense to me. The idea of motorcycling and pulling a trailer seem to be at odds. We are so burdened by our stuff! Why do we have to haul so much of it with us when we go somewhere? Taking the logic to an extreme, if you like camping, why not drive a motorhome and pull a trailer with the bike on it?

Pulling a trailer with a motorcycle makes as much sense to me as pulling a trailer with a Porsche.

I'm sure you all will have great fun with your trailers this summer, and I'm sure you will all tow them with skill and care.

I just happen to think you're all NUTS.:nuts1:

Spike

SpikeST
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Another, semi-related question - Would my golf clubs fit in the Uni-go (or any other trailer) and has anyone tried to affix some sort of rear rack to their STeed to haul tehir golf clubs? Silly question? I've seen it done, I just don't possess the technology to DIY -

Imrubicon

Wannabe Squid
STOC #
Two things I never thought would happen

I am also considering pulling a trailer with my bike :22yikes:

And I saw a Uni-Go at Bikeweek and am actually considering spending that much:nuts1:

Maybe I should just buy a : bgw1:

Uh.............no.

not yet

Watching intently, Spencer
I thought you couldnt buy one of those till you were old ????? :eek: or had problem down below LOL

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I don't get a towing a trailer with a bike either, but we take one of our bikes on vacation with our RV so to each his own. We gave up tent camping after getting flattened by a thunderstorm in Big Bend about 6 years ago. It was a scary experience.

There was an interesting thread on the XLForum about carrying golf clubs on the Sportster. There is some kind of contraption made for the Gold Wing to carry golf clubs and someone was going to try and fit it to the Harley. It looked scary to me because it held the clubs vertically at the back of the bike.

STOC #
That is truly weird-looking! Like a case to carry your totem pole in! Or a futuristic Maltese Falcon. Functionally, though, it seems like the clubs are in the best position, and modern golf clubs and bags are pretty light.

Do you Wing-mods know anybody who uses that thing?:eek:

Top Bottom