Show me pics of your fully loaded out (for camping) bike

Bike
97 ST1100A
2024 Miles
Not my bike, but this bike and trailer belong to a chap named Phil Funnel, he is evidently in the motorcycling hall of fame for epic adventures on two wheels. He sleeps in the trailer when camping, reckons it's bear proof, and at all of five feet tall I can believe it.

It was a pleasure to meet him while riding through California ten years agoP1000704.JPGP1000710.JPG

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I need to upgrade the yoga mat and get something much more comfortable
Exped mattresses are great, several other options such as Big Agnes and Thermarest. Just make sure they have a good rated R-Rating and larger than 20 inches in width.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
reckons it's bear proof
Hopefully he's right. I'd never what to put that to the test. My 'Wing buddy used to make annual trips to Yosemite for a week or two with a group. He'd warn everybody about properly stowing food and almost every time somebody was careless or thought they knew better. One of the more dramatic instances besides a bear wandering into a tent and giving the occupants pause (not paws thankfully) was a bear that spotted food on a car. He peeled the door from the top down and got in to the car getting a brown bag snack of some nature.

So I hope the sleeping pod is bear proof. I'd hate to think of life imitating art in the form of a Gary Larson Far Side cartoon. Two polar bears are standing up against an igloo. One says to the other "I love these things. Crunchy on the outside with a chewy center".

Bike
97 ST1100A
2024 Miles
Hopefully he's right. I'd never what to put that to the test. My 'Wing buddy used to make annual trips to Yosemite for a week or two with a group. He'd warn everybody about properly stowing food and almost every time somebody was careless or thought they knew better. One of the more dramatic instances besides a bear wandering into a tent and giving the occupants pause (not paws thankfully) was a bear that spotted food on a car. He peeled the door from the top down and got in to the car getting a brown bag snack of some nature.

So I hope the sleeping pod is bear proof. I'd hate to think of life imitating art in the form of a Gary Larson Far Side cartoon. Two polar bears are standing up against an igloo. One says to the other "I love these things. Crunchy on the outside with a chewy center".
Ha ha! Great cartoon. I wouldn't want to put the bear security to the test either, having been in a tent at the campground at West Yellowstone when a bear happened by, it certainly focussed the mind. Imagine the scene....."Chris, I think there's a bear outside the tent" reply...."well what did you wake me up for"?

For the first couple of years touring I camped, there were fun times and character building times. I was at a campsite in Montana where upon checking in was informed there was a sow grizzly with cubs in the area. I also noticed that I was the only person in a tent. My only savior was the washrooms, it was at this point I wished I had pitched my tent closer to the location of the washrooms. I should also mention the campsite was at a fairly high elevation, my worries of been eaten by a grizzly bear quickly gave way to getting cold. Eventually I had to put on my riding gear to stay warm, the protection of the riding gear also made me feel better about having some body protection if the fore mentioned grizzly bear attack occurred. In the event that this occurred my plan was to put on my helmet and make a run for the washroom. Having put these thoughts behind me and feeling warm enough to fall asleep, I was quickly woken by the sound of a train whistle, this occurred multiple times throughout the night, that along with the sounds of the night ensured that I got no sleep that night. Apparently the campsite was located near a main track where there was a crossing. The next morning tired and cold I packed up and hit the road. I stopped at the first dining facility I could find drank a pot of coffee to revive myself and get warmed up, nothing worse then starting the day cold and tired. I definitely don't miss getting cold or hot, the discomfort of sleeping on the ground, worrying about bears or other critters crawling into your tent or sleeping bag, or packing/ unpacking in the rain. I definitely miss the experience of meeting people and staying in more remote and beautiful locations, I was always amazed at how many times I was invited for a campfire drink, supper or breakfast by people I had just met. You definitely don't typically get that experience staying in hotels.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Bears don't want people... they want food.. one reason I don't pack a lot of food when I tour. I'll bring some ramen noodles just to have something in case I'm late to a campground and don't feel like going into town.

You also don't want to keep toiletries in your tent in bear country... anything with a scent, they'll look for. That being said, I've never found a bear in my campground in the 20 years of moto camping I've been doing.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Sometimes the Wolfman tailbag goes with me, sometimes it don't. This is my setup for long tours.

1608508830874.png

Im sorry i haven't gone camping yet since my upgrades but i include a picture of my heavily modified 13. For camping setup i have a lower rear shelf that holds my 5 man tent with a spare number plate strapped on. For the top i have a ply shelf which slots onto the topbox plate from the front and has bolts through the plate so its impossible to come off without the bolts snapping the load shifting forward bouncing upwards and flying off the back. the ply plate is stupid light in comparison to the top box and is solid. The ply plate is for the double sleeping bag and floor matt.
Other than that i have amazing led headlights i also have brackets on the tipover wings so i can rest my legs straight out. Underseat the ecu and abs is split and the extra plastic is cut out this gives me much more storage and access to the rear bulbs from under the seat. recently got a spare lock set so will be making the bike keyless ignition in the summer.

Attachments

Is that trap for wild hogs, or just mountain lion?
For the GF well almost. for her pet rats but yeah its a big cage. My stepdad asked if the police saw me i said yeah he said what did they say i said no idea i was filtering past them at the time. its a nice cage but they are out most of the time

Top Bottom