Test rode a 2010 RT today

OP
OP
Judge
I owned several BMW's over the past 18 years, including an RT, 3 GS's and a couple of 650's. BMW will never admit that there's an issue with a bike. I had several issues with the security ring, fuel pump and transmission. I had to travel over 100 miles to have warranty work done and several times the bikes had to be towed or hauled up to the dealer. The maintenance was mostly done in a timely manner but sometimes was not done properly. I don't know about the new RT's but every BMW I owned had a 6K and 12K maintenance interval. For the RT it was always $600+. You figure at the shop hourly cost just taking off the plastic and putting it back on is going to run you 3 hours. I find my ST as comfortable as the RT. I'm not trying to bash BMW, just stating my experiences. I do miss my GS and RT but not the company.
Hmm. A valve adjust, TB sync, FD fluid change, torque spec check, and oil change AKA a 6,000 mile ck. is between $270 and $300 after calling three "local dealers. The new engine goes 12k between services.

Thanks for telling me I won't be missed fellow ST'er;)

Quick aside folks. I don't particularly find it beneficial or productive to read BMW "digs". It's more than a little passe'. I would however be open to hearing something factual or objective relative to the purchase I plan to make.

Bike
03 ST1300 89 pc
I think the Rt is a great bike very little time on it or the St but both are great bikes the. One big plus about the RT is the 50 to 60 MPG they are supposed to get

Hmm. A valve adjust, TB sync, FD fluid change, torque spec check, and oil change AKA a 6,000 mile ck. is between $270 and $300 after calling three "local dealers. The new engine goes 12k between services.

Quick aside folks. I don't particularly find it beneficial or productive to read BMW "digs". It's more than a little passe'. I would however be open to hearing something factual or objective relative to the purchase I plan to make.
Don't understand the "digs" part of your statement. The people that have owned and responded to your questions are giving you "objective" information. I am one of them. Unless things have drastically changed I find the etimated costs provided to you by the "local" dealers to be half of what my actual costs were.
I spent 10 days touring New England and was never closer than 150 miles to a BMW dealer. I did not need service but it was in the back of my mind if my final drive went kaput, or I needed anything else.
If this is the bike you want then go get it. No one here is bashing the brand. I loved my BMW. In real life, I can tell you that the maintenance costs are much less with my ST than they ever were with the RT. I tend to put 15 - 20000 miles per year on a bike and these cost add up quick. I will also take the dealer network, and availability of parts from Honda anyday.
I have had to drive 3 hours to a BMW shop only to find out they do not stock the part and it will take 7-10 days to get it shipped. No thanks
When I have more disposable income I will probably have another BMW. But at that time I will be going in with a better understanding of what it costs to upkeep German engineering.

Bike
ST1300
I spent 10 days touring New England and was never closer than 150 miles to a BMW dealer.

I have had to drive 3 hours to a BMW shop only to find out they do not stock the part and it will take 7-10 days to get it shipped.
There lies a big issue with owning a BMW. The closest dealer to me (south Jersey) closed it's doors last November and even before this recession hit the dealer network was scant. 10 years ago the was a dealer 15 minutes from me but they decided to sell Mini's instead and gave up the MC biz. I like the product but have to question BMW HQ's commitment to growing the MC dealership network.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
I guess after reading all these posts, I'm left wondering why Judge started this thread. He only states his impressions of the bike, which are all positive. He asks for no opinions or comparisons to other bikes. He is quick to defend the alleged shortcomings and economic factors, and has ignored the sparse dealer network, which is nobody's imagination or "opinion".
So, Judge, I'm wondering,,,,, are you trying to convince us the BMW is a great bike,,,, or trying to convince yourself????:confused:

Bike
GL1800
The latest final drive thread on advrider.com

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573835

I test rode a 2010 RT and GSA. Quite enjoyed the RT. Power was adequate ...torque is up a bit and HP comes on earlier and there is a bit more rpm to play with. A pleasure to ride!

The bike handles great and the ESAII is great fun to play with. THe ride is comfortable and the screen does the job. THe bike is quicker in transitions than a ST .....all in all a delightful test ride.

I wish the engine had a bit more power but it would be adequate. I just do not know about the final drive and the precipitous drop in value after the purchase. All I know is there are a lot of ex BMW rides who do not think the bike is reliable...this worries me.

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Service intervals are 12,000 miles at about $300.00. Otherwise routine fluid changes.

If I add up how much scratch it would take to farkle a new ST with elec cruise and a heated seat, I'm basically in new RT territory, or a very discretionary diff.

Accessories can be bought via aftermarket for same as ST or genuine BMW if the person chooses for more $$

Looking at the big picture, I'm time and satisfaction ahead if I buy the RT. Money diff as I said is pretty close after adding in an McCruise, etc for a new ST.
I am looking at the big picture. The 'cost of ownership', for me.. isn't the cost of basic maintenance. It's the cost of any and everything that may go WRONG with my bike. Buying Honda.. I know the odds of having problems are signifigantly lower to begin with. That, coupled with a good 30-40% lower cost of having work done, is the 'cost of ownership'.

So, for me.. having 1 problem in 5 years that costs me $300 versus 3 problems that cost me $450/incident, is why I chose Honda. Not to mention, not HAVING my bike while it's being worked on. Not being able to find a BMW dealership, in the boonies, where I would inevitably break down. It's just TOO high a cost..both in $$ and in convenience, for me to buy anything BUT a Honda. Shrug.

That said, if you prefer apples to oranges.. Good for you and goodluck! Just don't complain about the worms;)

Peace.

Edder B

Iron Butt Poser
Bike
ST1300PA

My intent was not to dig or that I wouldn't care about someone not riding an ST. I just wanted to warn you on some of the shortcomings. Of course the dealer will tell you whatever you want to hear to sell the bike. I am not familiar with the 2010 motor but I will tell you that I do have 19 years of experience with BMW. My brand new, at the time, 2007 R1200GSA left me stranded 3 times, all of which were over 100 miles from any dealer. I also owned a new R1200GS that stranded me twice. I don't like paying $18K for something I can't depend on.

Life is short so ride what makes you happy, that's the bottom line. I just thought you wanted feedback.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It's human nature to throw some digs out there... I don't care for them myself. I think there are some great responses giving real-life experiences, vs the 'I heard there's not dealer network' or 'I heard maint is too often and too much'...

Honda has a great dealer network.... let's just hope you don't have to use it because some of the techs aren't that familiar with the ST and it's issues... which, narrows that network. No offense to anyone here that works at a dealership.

OP
OP
Judge
I guess after reading all these posts, I'm left wondering why Judge started this thread. He only states his impressions of the bike, which are all positive. He asks for no opinions or comparisons to other bikes. He is quick to defend the alleged shortcomings and economic factors, and has ignored the sparse dealer network, which is nobody's imagination or "opinion".
So, Judge, I'm wondering,,,,, are you trying to convince us the BMW is a great bike,,,, or trying to convince yourself????:confused:

I believe the intent of having a section dedicated to "other bikes" is justification enough for sharing first-hand impressions.

Although a few have been quick to declare their own objections to costs, dealer networks and "shortcomings". I am not obliged to share their point of view.

Frankly, your implications are a little of the range.

Don't preach to me how good Honda is, my Honda left me without my Honda for over 3 months. Honda let me down in not having parts available. It can happen to ANY brand and I'm sure glad I happen to have another bike to ride during my ST down time (and it wasn't a Honda). I'm not bashing Honda, I'm just saying that every time you point a finger...

Bike
03ST11P,94ST11A
STOC #
I believe the intent of having a section dedicated to "other bikes" is justification enough for sharing first-hand impressions.

Although a few have been quick to declare their own objections to costs, dealer networks and "shortcomings". I am not obliged to share their point of view.
I thought that's what we were doing?!

You have to remember too that you are on a Honda forum, these people chose Honda over BMW for some reason - and you are tending to hear those reasons.

I would personally own a K-series again and don't have a problem with BMW reliability there. For me the R bikes do not match *my* view of a tourer and are probably better suited to dual sport or similar, but that's just me YMMV.

Don't take it personally, I think most are meant as friendly warnings, or simple discussion point rather than an attack.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
The rearend of a new RT is no different than that of a new K series. I think a RT would be an excellent choice for a ST... it has a large tank, great MPG, CC, and all the condiments that would make it an all day ride ;)

Would I own one, don't know... haven't taken one out :) Would I own a BMW, yes. I LOVE the K13S :D

There are so many rides out there to choose from... we all have different things that make a bike click to us... isn't it great that we can choose different bikes AND colors :)

OP
OP
Judge
I thought that's what we were doing?!

You have to remember too that you are on a Honda forum, these people chose Honda over BMW for some reason - and you are tending to hear those reasons.

I would personally own a K-series again and don't have a problem with BMW reliability there. For me the R bikes do not match *my* view of a tourer and are probably better suited to dual sport or similar, but that's just me YMMV.

Don't take it personally, I think most are meant as friendly warnings, or simple discussion point rather than an attack.

Evidently someone didn't think so...there a conspiracy theorist in every bunch.

I don't take this personally, but at the same time I can distinguish a qualified friendly advisement from a knee jerk remark when I see one.

I don't know what to say, except I've done my homework, and a good chunk of the "friendly warnings" have been factually wrong. My required maintenance costs for one example, which when I refutted the claims by saying I received scheduled maint costs from three dealers, the rebuttal was "a salesman will say anything to sell a bike". Now come on...could it just be that I actually spoke to service managers on all three occassions and my facts are correct?

What you may detect is some frustration at some of the "Yeah Buts". To that end, I rode a GSA, and a Triumph Tiger. Both of which, I really liked also, and will just refrain from posting my glowing thoughts of each.

Bike
2012 r1200rt
STOC #
well judge i think the RT is a good looking bike and one day i might get one but i will expect more maintenance worries and headaches going in. frankly, if you like a bike enough and you need to scratch the itch, anyone, including myself will find a reason to get it. so, get it, enjoy it and hang with sport touring riders here as well as other places such as www. msta.com i wish someone close to me would buy one so i can just ride it every now and then. :)

Edder B

Iron Butt Poser
Bike
ST1300PA
Again, I hope you enjoy whatever bike you get. Just telling you my experience. Didn't intend to sway but to inform you of my experience. Enjoy your new ride whatever it may be.

Evidently someone didn't think so...there a conspiracy theorist in every bunch.

I don't take this personally, but at the same time I can distinguish a qualified friendly advisement from a knee jerk remark when I see one.

I don't know what to say, except I've done my homework, and a good chunk of the "friendly warnings" have been factually wrong. My required maintenance costs for one example, which when I refutted the claims by saying I received scheduled maint costs from three dealers, the rebuttal was "a salesman will say anything to sell a bike". Now come on...could it just be that I actually spoke to service managers on all three occassions and my facts are correct?

What you may detect is some frustration at some of the "Yeah Buts". To that end, I rode a GSA, and a Triumph Tiger. Both of which, I really liked also, and will just refrain from posting my glowing thoughts of each.

Top Bottom