Test rode a 2010 RT today

Today I got an opportunity to ride a loaded 2010 RT.

I can sum it up by saying the bar has been raised significantly.

Engine:
Starting with the new engine, there is a noticeable improvement in power throughout the RPM band, as well as improved smoothness. The exhaust has a more pleasant growl to it as well.

This bike was broken in and 85-90mph highway speeds were smoooth and effortless with a still abundant amount of untapped thrust available.

If you are at all open minded to a twin...this is as good as it gets. Personally, I really like this new engine.

Comfort:
Wow. This bike will spoil you in a hurry. The radio is USB/MP3 compatible, and the controls are extremely intuitive. Seating position is more roomy than the ST, and wind protection is noticeably better.

Add electronic cruise, and heated grips/seat, and there is no denying it's a better mile eater than the ST.

Handling:
Simply amazing. The ESA II allows changes to pre-load and spring rates, and they are very noticeable. This bike feels like a sport bike in the tight turns, and is dead-nuts stable at all times. It can be flicked into a line with ease, and has great ground clearance. Cornering is alot more fun on the RT than the ST.

Overall:
Right now I am seriosly thinking about buying a loaded Polar 2010RT. As sport-touring bikes go, there is nothing on the market right now that I can see that delivers the goods like the new RT.

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
How are the maintenance costs/cost of ownership? Accessories?

Sounds like a nice bike, but the cost isn't worth it to me.

OP
OP
Judge
How are the maintenance costs/cost of ownership? Accessories?

Sounds like a nice bike, but the cost isn't worth it to me.
Service intervals are 12,000 miles at about $300.00. Otherwise routine fluid changes.

If I add up how much scratch it would take to farkle a new ST with elec cruise and a heated seat, I'm basically in new RT territory, or a very discretionary diff.

Accessories can be bought via aftermarket for same as ST or genuine BMW if the person chooses for more $$

Looking at the big picture, I'm time and satisfaction ahead if I buy the RT. Money diff as I said is pretty close after adding in an McCruise, etc for a new ST.

OP
OP
Judge
+1
Exactly why I traded an RT for the ST:D
Hmm. Taking a hit on depreciation to save yourself from $300.00 maintenance work every 6,000 miles.

To each their own. Sounds like a Goldman Sachs investment to me.:D

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Glad you found a ride that you enjoy. Go ride it!

I haven't ridden an RT since I test rode an 1150 that I had planned to buy that very day and then walked out of the dealership underwhelmed by the motor. I understand that the boxer twin keeps getting better, but there's something about it that just doesn't do it for me. It's not a twin thing, per se, as my other bike is a twin (Kawi Versys). Lots of people have a different opinion.

I'm always interested in a new bike but I'm still looking for a bike I like enough more than my ST to justify the cost. "Paid for" is a great quality in a motorcycle. The 1200 Multistrada is piquing my interest of late, and I'd really like to know if Honda will make an "ST" version of the VFR1200. Still looking, still riding bikes I really enjoy.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Just make sure you don't need parts/service when you're traveling, might have to haul it a few miles!
Or STATES!!!!:eek:

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Interesting here in Canada:
MSRP for a 2010 R1200RT - with heated grips, seat, CC, ESA, ie. everything except the audio system is $22,000.
MSRP for the 2010 Honda ST - with every option available (not many- main one being heated grips) is $21,190.
Now I know that many say that you seldom pay MSRP for the ST, but I think that the same could be said for the RT. Maintenance on the Beemer is probably not significantly more (if any than the ST) comparing apples to apples (ie. done by the dealer at recommended intervals).
If I was in the market, I would look seriously at the RT. Of course the K1300GT is calling as well. Thankfully, I am not in the market. Paid for is a good thing!

Rod

OP
OP
Judge
Glad you found a ride that you enjoy. Go ride it!

I haven't ridden an RT since I test rode an 1150 that I had planned to buy that very day and then walked out of the dealership underwhelmed by the motor. I understand that the boxer twin keeps getting better, but there's something about it that just doesn't do it for me. It's not a twin thing, per se, as my other bike is a twin (Kawi Versys). Lots of people have a different opinion.

I'm always interested in a new bike but I'm still looking for a bike I like enough more than my ST to justify the cost. "Paid for" is a great quality in a motorcycle. The 1200 Multistrada is piquing my interest of late, and I'd really like to know if Honda will make an "ST" version of the VFR1200. Still looking, still riding bikes I really enjoy.
Cash is king for a toy.

The new boxer grew on me with each mile. The dealer let me have it for a couple hours, so initial impressions were put into a better overall perspective.

The Multistrada was a consideration to me as well. However, it is not as smooth as the RT, nor did it have the wind protection, fuel range and comforts. Great day bike, but not a serious road bike.

I'd like to see a new ST real soon. Aside from the RT it's the best bike out there for sport-TOURING. However, it needs a good re-do before I'd consider another one. On my wish list are less weight, optional cruise, better suspension, and a bit more room ergo wise.

OP
OP
Judge
So they goosed up the engine....what about the final drive issues?
Here's what I have gleaned on that.

The FD issues that have occured are first and foremost, exagerated by those who frequent the internet. We're talking a very small percentage of FD failures relative to the quanity of bikes on the road.

They also tend to be more of an occurance with bikes that get loaded heavily and often.

They were primarily a result of bearing failures, and sealed FD units that did not receive service/maintenance per BMW. New bearings were added in 08/09, and scheduled fluid maintenance were also added along with fluid level revisions.

Looking at their forums, it is not nearly as epidemic as some would suggest, and seemingly less and less of an issue since the revisions.

Not a big concern to me at this point based on what I have dug up, but nonetheless something that merits doing some homework.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I'm glad you liked the RT... I know a few who have jumped to the RT, and even the GT/GS and love it ;)

But the one thing I have to say though, anyone who factors in "depreciation" is fooling themselves... who factors in resale value when buying a bike? You'll never get what you think it's worth, or what KBB says it's worth... are you already planning to sell it... LOL!!! ;)

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
...anyone who factors in "depreciation" is fooling themselves...
I think you're right, Rob. The people who factor in depreciation are those who buy nearly new bikes for way less than they cost the original buyer a few months or a year before. Got my Versys, nicely farkled and under warranty, for 72% of what the original owner paid 6 months before.

Bike
03ST11P,94ST11A
STOC #
I rode one recently too and I agree that creature comforts on the new RT are very nice. However I found the engine buzzy and unrefined compared to previous bikes - ST11, K100 and to a tested 2010 Sprint ST. Power delivery was ok, but didn't light any fires (again compared to the above bikes). The bike is agile and fun to ride.

I would not buy one. I test rode a 2010 Triumph Sprint at the same dealer and a bargain (~$13k, ~$14k with abs) compared to the Beemer (~$22k) it is a better performing bike for a lot less money IMHO.

You pay a lot for the roundel, check out the competition before buying you could fall in love with another bike that will save you a lot of cash.

Edder B

Iron Butt Poser
Bike
ST1300PA
I owned several BMW's over the past 18 years, including an RT, 3 GS's and a couple of 650's. BMW will never admit that there's an issue with a bike. I had several issues with the security ring, fuel pump and transmission. I had to travel over 100 miles to have warranty work done and several times the bikes had to be towed or hauled up to the dealer. The maintenance was mostly done in a timely manner but sometimes was not done properly. I don't know about the new RT's but every BMW I owned had a 6K and 12K maintenance interval. For the RT it was always $600+. You figure at the shop hourly cost just taking off the plastic and putting it back on is going to run you 3 hours. I find my ST as comfortable as the RT. I'm not trying to bash BMW, just stating my experiences. I do miss my GS and RT but not the company.

OP
OP
Judge
I rode one recently too and I agree that creature comforts on the new RT are very nice. However I found the engine buzzy and unrefined compared to previous bikes - ST11, K100 and to a tested 2010 Sprint ST. Power delivery was ok, but didn't light any fires (again compared to the above bikes). The bike is agile and fun to ride.

I would not buy one. I test rode a 2010 Triumph Sprint at the same dealer and a bargain (~$13k, ~$14k with abs) compared to the Beemer (~$22k) it is a better performing bike for a lot less money IMHO.

You pay a lot for the roundel, check out the competition before buying you could fall in love with another bike that will save you a lot of cash.
I have looked at the Sprint, but thanks. Not a bike for long days in the saddle IMO.

I'm set on what I want after having looked at and riding other bikes. The RT is the best bike IMO. At least for me.

Top Bottom