Test rode a 2010 RT today

OP
OP
Judge
Judge you call it the way you see it....and good for you.
My opinion on the other hand is very different.
I went to buy me my BMW RT and after a two hour test ride: I was not impressed..
My missus didn't like the bikes gear changes and buffeting.
She felt unsure on the back....
I was seriously unhappy as I thought I had lost the ability to ride.
The bike handled vaguely and I wasn't sure of the front end.
Not to mention the idiotic indication system...(believe that BM has seen the error of their ways..the whole world dose it the same way! But it's not safe...)
I was also unhappy as I had to go an look at that Honda tourer after this episode!!!!
Got to Honda, but the ST they had didn't have any fuel/gas in the tank so I would have to ride about half a mile to fill it.
Whilst they were filling it the wife says to me," do we need to go for the ride." That wasn't a question. It was a fact!
There is the world of difference between the two bikes.
I have had 2 ST1300's and they do everything well enough, especially when 2 up and fully loaded or pulling a 6ft trailer!!!
My Conclusion is that here in SA, BM riders pay a lot to impress them selves...
The GS range is very popular here, but most never see the dirt...
May be when there's enough money I would buy one of these to ride in the dirt (after a proper test ride)
Only one thing: Why have a single sided swing-arm when you're not racing...makes no sense.
Most people still come up to the ST and say what a nice B..M..???? er Honda...
And so here it's not a common bike and thus you stand out more.(he-he!)
We should agree on one thing....
Do whatever floats your boat and just don't try an impress others with your decision, do it for yourself...
I even do wheelies etc when no one is watching....:grin::grin::grin:
PS rode with two other guys on RT1200's the other day.
WE filled up at the same places and rode the same speeds (except when they wanted to race...Left them far behind), but my bike used much less fuel than theirs....?
Why would that be? The ST has 4 cylinders...?
Ja so enjoy your BMer Judge, but judge us lesser mere mortals not!:capwin:

PS: The Trailer...

Interesting read. One word....reciprocity.:D

I particularly enjoyed the part about how I supposedly bought an RT to "impress myself" simply because the RT isn't your brand of vodka. There's some altruistic logic....and lest me not judge?

My reasons for buying vehicles revolve around function..not form, and certainly not a trumped up sense of prestige. I drive a Dodge for Pete's sake, and certainly could afford a vehicle to "impress myself". I suppose if I were a BMW fan through and through, and just had to have that roundel, I would have bought another BMW as opposed to a second rate Yamaha.

I'm glad you like the ST, I still do as well.

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Hi Judge:
I was moderately partial to your platonic and rather palaeoanthropological, yet bemusing arriviste retort and it sounds homogeneously that we could capitulate and protract this quantum unproductiveness approximating a couple of Siskins, or we could ascend, transpiring to mutate into the Aberdivine, and concur to agree to diverge with jocular verbosity, and eventually have the equivocal influence of an all consuming, non relating, inhospitably stark, verbal orifice...:chat1:

What you recon? Friends on different bikes?:capwin::beer3::wine2:

And I run my own :bsflag: flag:Just in case.

OP
OP
Judge
Hi Judge:
I was moderately partial to your platonic and rather palaeoanthropological, yet bemusing arriviste retort and it sounds homogeneously that we could capitulate and protract this quantum unproductiveness approximating a couple of Siskins, or we could ascend, transpiring to mutate into the Aberdivine, and concur to agree to diverge with jocular verbosity, and eventually have the equivocal influence of an all consuming, non relating, inhospitably stark, verbal orifice...:chat1:

What you recon? Friends on different bikes?:capwin::beer3::wine2:

And I run my own :bsflag: flag:Just in case.

I remember my first thesaurus. I needed one for college, but truth be told I bought it to "impress myself";)

Ride and be happy my friend.

patiodadio

Motorcyclist
Bike
ST
Today I got an opportunity to ride a loaded 2010 RT.

I can sum it up by saying the bar has been raised significantly.

Engine:
Starting with the new engine, there is a noticeable improvement in power throughout the RPM band, as well as improved smoothness. The exhaust has a more pleasant growl to it as well.

This bike was broken in and 85-90mph highway speeds were smoooth and effortless with a still abundant amount of untapped thrust available.

If you are at all open minded to a twin...this is as good as it gets. Personally, I really like this new engine.
Comfort:
Wow. This bike will spoil you in a hurry. The radio is USB/MP3 compatible, and the controls are extremely intuitive. Seating position is more roomy than the ST, and wind protection is noticeably better.

Add electronic cruise, and heated grips/seat, and there is no denying it's a better mile eater than the ST.

Handling:
Simply amazing. The ESA II allows changes to pre-load and spring rates, and they are very noticeable. This bike feels like a sport bike in the tight turns, and is dead-nuts stable at all times. It can be flicked into a line with ease, and has great ground clearance. Cornering is alot more fun on the RT than the ST.

Overall:
Right now I am seriosly thinking about buying a loaded Polar 2010RT. As sport-touring bikes go, there is nothing on the market right now that I can see that delivers the goods like the new RT.

Dang it ! Just when I think I have gotten over my longing for a new RT, you have to get me all fired up again !!

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
What's a this thesarurus thingy you mention??? We talk in this fashion constantly...he-he..

Referencing to your last line, you obviously still didn't get it...
I remember my first thesaurus. I needed one for college, but truth be told I bought it to "impress myself"

re look the statement below:
My Conclusion is that here in SA, BM riders pay a lot to impress them selves...
The GS range is very popular here, but most never see the dirt...

I was inferring that is what happens in Africa...most BM riders are "posers" on their machinery and forget they too are bikers...
Missing the point...!

Any way this is going nowhere so have fun and enjoy your ride of choice...
PS 3 of my good mates also have Beemers (1 x RT150 and 2 x GS1200 Adventures) and they're not snobs either.
Have a good one. Cheers :wine2:

Top Bottom