The New Goldwing

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Went and sat on the Wing. I have to say... what a terrifically neutral seating position. Super great lower back support from the rear step and hit me absolutely perfect. I could see comfortable happening for miles. I really like the position of the screen as well. Fairly easy to do just about anything without much attention diverted from the road. I like that the buttons are raised and have a very positive feel to them, large enough to easily manipulate with the thickest gloves. The joystick is handy as well, working through turning it or just knocking it up/down right/left. Another thumbs up for the engineer that designed the passenger foot-rest. Fold up or down and they look fantastic. I love it when a manufacturer details the little stuff.

Very nice lines and excellent paint detail on the model I saw. This will be a serious consideration in a few years when I have more money and they cost less. I'll mirror other comments of cross-hatching a ST1300 with a CTX1300 adding a sprinkle of modern tech and wizardry. Although... I will fall short of call it the next ST1800. It is a little longer and heavier with the creature comforts of a tourer. It may be a svelt sporty tourer. But, and this is without riding it, I'm not sure I would feel as comfortable throwing it into a corner like I'm used to doing with my ST1100.

Respectable ride... I like it.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Got to ride one today. Honda is giving bike week demo rides in Daytona this year. But, only Goldwings. Rode a white Tour DCT with wife. Only one helmet would fit in the top box. Neither side would hold one. This is a big deal to us and we were very disappointed.

Not real sure I like the DCT but only got to ride 6 or 7 miles in a group ride. However, if I was going to buy one I would probably go that route. I think it would grow on me. Tried tour and sport modes. There is a definite difference between tour and sport.

Over all I was impressed and if I was in the market for a new bike it would probably be at the top of the list. Wifey is ready to buy one tomorrow. She was very comfortable.

Maybe someday.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
There really is such thing as a stupid question; unless someone has 100 gallons of Rotella laying around :tts1:.

Tom
I have about 15 gallons. Does that count? I use it in everything with wheels, except the mower.

John

TPadden

Tom Padden
I have about 15 gallons. Does that count? I use it in everything with wheels, except the mower.

John
John,

And did the possibility of using it in your new Wing bear any consideration in your purchase decision???? An oil thread???? Really????? :well1::rofl1:

I do apologize to Dennis for my abruptness; BMW owners can pontificate on petroleum propriety ad nauseam and perhaps I'm overly sensitive. :)

Tom

Last edited:

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm thinking about the tour Wing vs what some are calling the sport Wing. I'm with Mellow on this, I think the new Wing is still a tourer first and foremost. Mainly because of riding position. My ST1100 has me slightly forward and arms more parallel to the forks supplying excellent leverage. Sitting on the Wing the grips are brought to me in a comfortably neutral position you could sit at for hours. However, get into tight corners and it steers more like a bagger with swept bars than a sport bike with aggressive stance.

I came to this while looking at 3-wheelers at a local show this weekend. The Slingshot you sit in and was more defined in the "car" camp while the converted Wing trikes parked next to it seemed more "motorcycle".
Huh.... perceptions.... :confused:

Bike
2005 st1300
I sat on a new Wing Tour today. It might just be me, but I thought the bars were kinda low. I am tall so others may feel differently.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Heartland Honda, in Springale, AR., had 3 or 4 Demos a couple weeks ago.
I rode one TOUR with DCT, & another TOUR w the 6 spd. To me, the DCT did not feel well matched to the bike. Felt very slow, with jerky up and downshifts. Maybe it just needs to be broken in. Don't know.
VERY heavy bike.
Very comfortable & smooth, but lots of electronics to learn up front! It had alot of nice features, but I don't know if I need, or want to pay for them. GREAT ENGINE, but its huge size hurts MPG.
The 6 Manual felt good on that bike; much "sportier" & quicker to me. But still not in the ST class.
Even with 2 pretty good test rides, I'll stick with the ST1300. NO comparison. More fuel cap., and larger bags.
The New WING is still too heavy, to me. Even with the diet Honda put it on.
I'll give it up to that dealership, though, for having plenty of NEW WINGS to test ride.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Bmacleod said:
I thought the bars were kinda low.
It may be your height. I felt the same way when I got the ST. The Helibar Gen 3.2 riser fixed that. When I sat on the new 'Wing it felt like my ST with the Heli.

The one thing that struck me was the foot position. I instantly felt like being back on my GL1000 with floorboards which gave it a slight foot forward feel.

My ankles were more comfortable for me feet being on the new 'Wing. I imagine my hips would be too.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I was at one of the Honda dealers in Memphis today picking up an oil filter for my ST1300. They had 2 new wings. The blue and the red. That blue looks good. The seat height for me was a little low, I do like tall bikes being tall. The 25k and 23k prices where lower than I thought they would be. The salesman saw me ride in on the ST and came to meet me at the door. He made sure I sat on the New Wing. The old wing they had on the floor sure looked big and dated next to the new one. But to me The ST looks good next to the new Wing. I will be sticking with the ST.

Bike
2005 st1300
The old wing they had on the floor sure looked big and dated next to the new one.
That was another thing that jumped out at me when I saw one this week... With the new fairing being narrower, the engine looks massive. Looks twice as wide as the old one when viewed from the front.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I thought this was interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTpskmEWSVQ

Basically, they're talking about how limited the travel is on the front suspension of the new Gold Wing. It's the first time I've heard it mentioned so I'm not sure if it's an issue that needs fixing, but the information in the video pretty informative.

What they didn't mention is that unlike a telescoping front fork, the shock travel is not the same as the wheel travel. I don't know what the correlation is, but I'm pretty sure that due to the design, the shock travel is less than the front wheel travel.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Basically, they're talking about how limited the travel is on the front suspension of the new Gold Wing. It's the first time I've heard it mentioned so I'm not sure if it's an issue that needs fixing, but the information in the video pretty informative.
You have to consider the source... a company SELLING aftermarket suspension components and already looking for ways to PROFIT on the obvious POPULARITY of the new wing... lol.. I would not replace anything until I rode the bike a while... heck my stock suspension on my wings was always fine for me and that was the old tech.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That being said I know they make a great product which is probably far superior to what any manufacturer uses. Just saying the old suspension was decent for me so this new one is surely better than that. Traxxion is looking for weaknesses in order to address and profit from a popular market, no problem with that at all and it makes for a smart business plan.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm betting there's something about the 'Wing's suspension that guy is missing.

If there is so little travel when the bike is unladen and even less travel with a 200lb rider you'd think the suspension would bottom out frequently At least one motorcycle magazine journo would have noticed and commented on it.

If I get to ride one that's something to be looking for.

Top Bottom