Transforming IGOFARs ST1300 . . . to Shuey's!

Thanks AIBIKRNC . . . confirms my post #68. Appreciated.
Shuey
I appreciate the steps you showed with photos. My only concern is the now hanging wire behind the bulbs does not fully seat for a watertight seal at the plug - there is the tiniest gap. For those who have done it, did you wrap it or otherwise try to seal it?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Although I added a dual, headlight modulator with my LEDs (YES illegal ;) ), I put dielectric grease in the connectors and then taped them over, to make sure a) they wouldn't come apart. b) to keep moisture out.

I pulled the headlight modulator off the 2010, before giving the bike to my son, (because he didn't like it) and all the connections looked great. No corrosion at all. And that had been on for a bunch of years!

Oh yeah, one other thing with the dual headlight modulator, I didn't have any more Left Side headlights burning out! :thumb:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
When I had the Kisan unit on the 650 Dakar, I could tell it made a difference. Not "I'm betting my life that they see me" difference, but noticeable.

I was getting noticed -- and that's the whole point, innit? If they notice me, then they must see me, if even at a reptilian level. And that's how I view most drivers, anyway... reptilian.

Plans are to add them to both my current machines as well.

Motion (even the perceived motion of a modulator), light and color are what attracts the human eye.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
... I could tell it made a difference. Not "I'm betting my life that they see me" difference, but noticeable.

I was getting noticed -- and that's the whole point, innit? If they notice me, then they must see me, if even at a reptilian level. And that's how I view most drivers, anyway... reptilian.
This was always my feelings as well. I know it doesn't mean that every driver will notice you. After all, they do have to turn their heads once in a while to see you!

But in both accidents, 2008 & 2019, I had the headlight modulators going. But they NEVER LOOKED (turn their heads) before changing lanes!

The ones that do see you better, are those coming from the right (turning in front of you, from a side street) and the ones coming from the opposite direction and getting ready to make a left turn in front of you. (Two of the worst situations for motorcycles! )

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
When I had the Kisan unit on the 650 Dakar, I could tell it made a difference. Not "I'm betting my life that they see me" difference, but noticeable.

Plans are to add them to both my current machines as well.

Motion (even the perceived motion of a modulator), light and color are what attracts the human eye.
And what’s wrong with reptiles?

Attachments

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
But they NEVER LOOKED (turn their heads) before changing lanes!
And this is why wise riders never assume any one or combination conspicuity protocols will keep them safe. Odds are there will always be someone who just.doesn't.look. So you do the best you can and be aware the best you can. But sometimes the deck just doesn't deal you a good hand.

And in Supe's case having a camera "just in case" picked up where conspicuity left off. Without it (and some helpful footage from a like minded driver) he could have been just another crazy-ass biker hooning down the highway looking for adventure...

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
... For those who have done it, did you wrap it or otherwise try to seal it?
I've owned at least one 1100, at a time, since '99. I delete the rubber bootie things on them first time I change the lamps. I ran one of my 1100s for years here in Florida (rains a lot) without the rubber boots. Just plugged the connectors onto the lamp. No problems.

Changing lamps on an 1100 ABS is royal pain!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
This was always my feelings as well. I know it doesn't mean that every driver will notice you. After all, they do have to turn their heads once in a while to see you!

But in both accidents, 2008 & 2019, I had the headlight modulators going. But they NEVER LOOKED (turn their heads) before changing lanes!

The ones that do see you better, are those coming from the right (turning in front of you, from a side street) and the ones coming from the opposite direction and getting ready to make a left turn in front of you. (Two of the worst situations for motorcycles! )
Maybe the loud pipes on my Harley Do work after all....folks start scanning all their mirrors when they hear me start to even get close to them.
And I don't have really loud pipes either.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I've owned at least one 1100, at a time, since '99. I delete the rubber bootie things on them first time I change the lamps. I ran one of my 1100s for years here in Florida (rains a lot) without the rubber boots. Just plugged the connectors onto the lamp. No problems.

And some folks don't wear condoms either, and that only works some of the time :rofl1:

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #

I also tried it it without the rubbers. Turns out little bits of rock and sand get in there, then bounce around like a .22 slug inside your skull, and voila -- pitted lenses from the inside.

Top Bottom