Transforming IGOFARs ST1300 . . . to Shuey's!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Update . . . thanks for the idea SupraSabre.!

ST1300 NOT 2FAR.jpg

Florida now fully automated and no longer does half spaces.

Shuey
I'm very honored that you chose "close" to my suggestion! :thumb:

You're very much welcome! :hat3:

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Modifications have slowed down as I await my turn in the mechanics garage.

However, I did manage to prepare the replacement Cougar LED headlights. I'm sure about my modifications, not positive yet about how they're installed. Time will tell.

The Box
Cougar Box.jpg

What's inside the box
Cougar Box Open.jpg

One of the lights out of the box
Light as received.jpg

The mounting base is removed by twisting it counter-clockwise and sliding it up and over the LED light stalk.
(Thanks to Ashley for figuring this out for me.)
Light w-retaining ring removed.jpg

The adapter base bottom two tabs do not match/align with what our STs need, so they need to come off. Pictured eft is the OEM base with 3 tabs, right is the modified base, now with only one tab. (I used a dremel which easily cut off the tabs, then a small file to smooth out rough edges.)
Modified ring comparison.jpg

Notice the two slots or cut-outs on the inside, one is wider than the other and line up with the base of the LED light.
ring notches.jpg

Slide the adapter base over the LED stalk, line up the inside tabs to fit the slots, then seat with a clockwise twist. Voila!
completed light.jpg

Now, installing. As I currently understand, the process is as follows:
- Unplug the stock bulb
- Remove the rubber boot
- release the metal spring retainer clip and flip it up and out of the way
- Remove the stock bulb

- Remove the adapter base from the Cougar bulb
- Seat the adapter base in the headlight socket
- replace the metal spring retainer clip, locking down the adapter base
- reseat the rubber boot
- poke the Cougar LED light down through the hole in the rubber boot, into the adapter base and rotate clockwise to lock it in place
- attach the female power plug to the short male power cord of the Cougar LED light.
- Done

Repeat for the other side.

So . . . corrections? Comments? Guidance? All will be welcome.

Shuey

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I can't recall if I pushed my bulb through the rubber boot or put the rubber boot on over top. I did have a different-ish bulb (the F2) but the procedure sounds about right.
If it doesn't work one way, try the other. As long as you get it to all fit together you'll be fine.

Here's what mine looked like in the end. No cutting of my boot was required with the F2 led bulbs.

1711930868634.jpeg
1711930895977.jpeg

The only thing I can't remember is if the bulb needs to be installed with the beam "cup" on it's tip (that covers one of the LED chips) needs to be turned up or down.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
On my list of things to do, but not in a hurry.
The question on many minds, in all likelihood, will be "do you HAVE to take off the nose cowl?"
I know some who have got their hands up there without removing the plastic fairing, most with some difficulty, as it's right, and you're somewhat groping blindly.
Thanks for sharing the details.
(Don't look, Larry!!)

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
@Sadlsor it makes it easier if you do, but you can get at the bulbs easier if you at least take off the windscreen, the black cover under that, the dash bezel and instrument cluster. That way you don't have to remove the bottom, lower and upper side cowls/fairings. There was no way my hands could get the OEM style bulb in or out when trying to reach through the top of bottom of the triple tree to get access. Even for those who can manage to get the OEM bulb in & out with the Tupperware all on, I doubt they could get an LED installed.

1711932841208.jpeg

I replaced my front headlights by reaching from below. Make sure the bike is on center stand ofcourse!

I had to put the rubber boot after I got the tail of the bulb out from the back. Also be careful with it, as a buddy of mine managed to tear one off a few years ago as it was brittle.

It’s a 30 second job to change out a bulb from underneath, kneeling next to the front wheel, reaching up from below.
Is there a special tool needed to pinch the release on the bulb wire? My hand can get to it from beneath, but I can't get the angle to release the wire.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Do you mean the steely wire bail that holds the bulb assembly in place, or the plastic wiring clip / connector to power the bulb?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You can use two zip ties, thick ends give you more squeeze.
Or forceps with a bit of rubber hose slid on each side, or needle nose pliers with nuts slid over each arm.
Or small bearings in the fingers of rubber gloves…
You just have to be creative:rofl1:

- Remove the adapter base from the Cougar bulb
- Seat the adapter base in the headlight socket
- replace the metal spring retainer clip, locking down the adapter base
- reseat the rubber boot
- poke the Cougar LED light down through the hole in the rubber boot, into the adapter base and rotate clockwise to lock it in place
- attach the female power plug to the short male power cord of the Cougar LED light.
- Done

Repeat for the other side.

I completed the swap today. Had some time to kill waiting for a Fed Ex delivery. Took left side fairing off to confirm that the previous owner had installed a Honda quad connect harness for the switched power port and swapped the bulbs out while it was off.20240405_200039.jpg20240405_195942.jpg

Top Bottom