Transforming IGOFARs ST1300 . . . to Shuey's!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Well . . . not so fast. As the transformation of my ST continues, I plan on adding to this thread. Hopefully though, we're finished with the evaluation of footpegs.

:)
Shuey
Oops.
Thank you for the clarification; apparently I became fixated on the GoldWing pegs side-commentary distraction, in all likelihood because I plan to do the same to my 1300. (In fact, I may have been the one to send us into that specific ditch. Double-Oops.)
Oh, but wait! Did we ever measure the ST and 'Wing pegs on BOTH sides, to be absolutely positive?
Never mind.
Please, do continue adding to this thread, as your efforts at personalizing this silver icon of ST's are the veritable epitome and pinnacle of the intersection of entertainment and enlightenment.
(With apologies to Glenn Beck's radio show.)

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Earlier in this thread I posted a picture of the police model over-the-mirror light brackets that Larry acquired for me - white, of course. I sent them out to an auto body shop with my ST's paint code and . . . just got them back. They're a near perfect Digital Silver match and will look great once mounted!

Shuey

ST P Light Painted Brackets.jpg

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Hey Shuey, Since you ordered your rear tipover bars from Bike-Quip, you might want one of these as well!

Rear Shock Protector

I have them on all my bikes.
Ain't it fun to spend Other Peoples' Money!
And the light brackets look GREAT, Shuey. The only reason I haven't ordered any, is because then I'd have to order lights to go on them.

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Hey Shuey, Since you ordered your rear tipover bars from Bike-Quip, you might want one of these as well!
Rear Shock Protector
I have them on all my bikes.
Well . . . never heard of such a thing. Seems like something useful; I'll keep it in mind for the future. Read their instructions and the best time to install it will be when the rear tire is being changed out.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Shuey

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Re: Rear Shock Protector

I am on my third ST. This is the first thing that I installed on all three of them. It keeps all of the crap off of the rear shock surprisingly well.
It should have been there from Honda in my opinion.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
She's in a good home.
I feel certain Larry would never have sold it to anyone, from anywhere, unless he felt that same way.

Sometimes we may feel a "connection" to one, some, or all of our bikes to some extent. We probably can't conceive of Larry's attachment to this one.

I could be wrong, but if I am we can count on Larry to correct me.

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
kiltman . . . for now, no. Initially, I'm going to live with the bike, comparing it with my FJR for awhile. If I decide to add cruise control, the MC Cruise will be my choice. Had it before and found it rock solid and reliable.

Obo . . . probably some truth to that. Glad you brought that up. I'll be glad to post up instructions for where to contribute for registration fees and maintenance! :thumb:

DeanR . . . yep, ordered from Bike-Quip in England (UK).

Shuey

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Next step . . . convert turn signals to clear lenses and LED bulbs that provide white running lights and amber turn signals - all brighter than OEM.

(I made the photos smaller, if unsatisfactory, let me know.)

Starting point - OEM Left turn signal. (Apologies for not cleaning the bugs off first.)
OEM Right Turn Signal.jpg

OEM Turn Signal Bulb removed, quarter twist and comes right out.
OEM Turn Signal bulb removed.jpg

OEM Turn Signal Assembly removed, 3 Phillips screws, easy breezy
OEM Turn Signal Lens Removed.jpg

iBrightstar Super Bright 7443 Switchback LED White/Amber (thanks STRider)
LED Turn signal bulb.jpg

Insert LED bulb into the Chinese 'air-rocket' Signal Assembly . . . as noted by others, the OEM bulb socket doesn't fit. :(
Turn Signal socket no fit.jpg

Slots in the Chinese Signal Assembly need to be widened so OEM bulb socket will insert and twist in. Started with a small file first, lost patience and got out the . . . dremel. Minutes later a tight fit achieved. :)
Turn signal socket fits.jpg

The Chinese assembly has a chrome like reflective finish that I didn't like. I'm guessing following car lights shining around the edges of the mirror might reflect back, so I painted them black (like the OEM Signal Assemblies. Picky, picky, I know, but . . . it's fun!
clear lens back  black.jpg

So, all buttoned back up it looks like this.
LED Clear Lens turn signal.jpg

Power on and ready to ride; looks like this.
(Note the OEM Parking lights (the small ones) and the Sylvania BrightStar headlight bulbs . . . replacement is on the list for future replacement.)
clear lenses white.jpg

Turn signals on (using emergency flasher to see both).
Clear Lenses amber.jpg

Turn signals between flashes provide a very visible contrast.
Clear Lens flashing off.jpg

Thanks all who provided their experience and suggestions. I like the result very much!

Shuey

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Starting point - OEM Right turn signal. (Apologies for not cleaning the bugs off first.)
Cool, I really like what you've done.
And while I hate to be argumentative, ...that looks more like a LEFT turn signal, to me.
And the bugs don't bother me.

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
As long as the mirrors were off . . . decided on another addition thanks to Wes and Josh_ST.

Decided to add some turn signal amber mini LEDs to help vehicles to my sides know my intentions.
I used the Oznium LED side emitting mirror lights . . . really easy to use and install. They come in a 20" strip.
Thanks to The Dan for his 2014 wiring guidance.
- LED black wire connects to the Green ground wire.
- LED red wire connects to the Orange and Baby Blue wires on the left and right sides.

To connected the wires I using Posi-Locks that allow solid connections with simple twists of the Lock ends.
One advantage is the ability to take them back apart if something needs to be adjusted or changed . . . like if I'd install the side emitting LEDs facing the wrong way on the first mirrors effort? :rolleyes:

Here's the right side wired up.
Turn Signal LEDs wired.jpg

Turn signal off
Turn Signal LEDs off.jpg

Turn signal on -flashing in tandem with the front facing turn signal.
Turn Signal LEDs on.jpg

The most difficult of this upgrade was stripping the really small gauge wires (24 gauge?).

Shuey

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I like that, too. With the room inside the mirror housing, I thought it would be simple to do.
Ah, but the procrastinator in me hasn't allowed me to do that yet... some day.
It's certainly more obvious than the arrows in the dash, which are easy to overlook while you're concentrating on riding and avoiding hitting things in the roadway.
Like cars, and stuff.
It looks good, Shuey.

Top Bottom