Trophy 2012 / 2013

Bike
2004 ST1300A4
Spoke to the Triumph rep at the Manchester Bike show last week. I was curious about the load capcity - total passengers, panniers etc. He emailed me on Monday - he reckons it is 526lb (239kg). Thats around 100lb more than the ST1300.

Whatever - I spent a happy 3 hours sitting by the side of the road this Summer, with a friend who's BMW single sided final drive gearbox collapsed on him. He rides mainly solo. Are these single sided final drive gearboxes and bearings really capable of taking the strain of a fully laden tourer ?
Probably due to his Pizza Delivery Service!

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Finally got to see one in person and they are a BIG looking bike. I'm going to try to schedule a test ride, but they sell them pretty quick and they haven't had one at Lone Star BMW/Triumph on a day I could make it over.

I can't decide if I want a Trophy or an Explorer, but the only manufacturer that has a bike I want right now is Triumph (I could go for a purple and white Bonnie too!)

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I can't decide if I want a Trophy or an Explorer
Interesting quandary. One consideration I've had is storage capacity, as the right pannier on the Explorer is dramatically cut in capacity by the exhaust can. I'd be tempted to go Explorer just because it's lighter and not so big, but at least with the Triumph panniers the space just isn't there. Still need to ride them both...may stay with an ST and a Versys, too.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Interesting quandary. One consideration I've had is storage capacity, as the right pannier on the Explorer is dramatically cut in capacity by the exhaust can. I'd be tempted to go Explorer just because it's lighter and not so big, but at least with the Triumph panniers the space just isn't there. Still need to ride them both...may stay with an ST and a Versys, too.
I'll ride this bike one up for the most part so storage isn't a deal breaker to me. I'm leaning explorer because I'm keeping the wing, but the specs on the trophy are sweet.

RONST1300

STOC # 8616
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I sat on one and was impressed with the many farkels. Heated seats have different heights. Tons of torque. The one down side I noticed is there are no highway pegs or place to mount them if you want them. It's worth a second look.
Ron

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
I sat on one and was impressed with the many farkels. Heated seats have different heights. Tons of torque. The one down side I noticed is there are no highway pegs or place to mount them if you want them. It's worth a second look.
Ron

The ST1300 doesn't come with highway pegs or a place to mount them either..... There went your excuse to not buy one. :D I'm thinking there is a bike that comes with those, however, if that is your main criteria for buying a bike. I'm currently having a bit of trouble recalling the name of said bike though.

RONST1300

STOC # 8616
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
My friend is a certified Triumph mechanic, spent a year and a half in their school, and he was standing right there with the sales man when I was looking at it, and he said there is no frame near there where you can mount it. So.. my reason stands!
Ron

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300PA
STOC #
I saw a Triumph trophy for the first time this week, it was the blue one. I was really impressed. I don't imagine I have any insights that haven't already been covered in the previous eight pages, but I liked it. It seemed like Triumph listened to the riders and provided all the things riders typically add to their bikes including a usb connection(except GPS). Knowing my history with bikes I asked about tip over protection, but looking at the bike I didn't see any or any good mounting places without drilling the fairing.

At $19K I'm not willing to part with my low mileage ST13, but I can see it being a popular bike.

STOC #
Got to take an hour long demo ride today on the new Trophy SE. Very nice bike. Light, powerful,smooth,and handles easily and
well. Comfy enough for an hour anyways. Handlebar comes back nicely so no risers needed. Radio is pretty good even at hiway speeds. Cruise control is great! BUT the engine noise is really annoying. It is a treat to listen too when going up through the gears etc, but when just steady cruising at speed on the hiway, I think it is way too noisy and tiring. The windshield goes WAY up but is not as good as others. I think I still like the R1200RT better as it is quieter, with better wind management. Also think the ST13 is better in this way also.
Maybe the fairing is just too wide and lets too much noise stay around the rider? Didnt try the explorer to see the difference.

Last edited:
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
After trying the Explorer and Trophy, I think the Trophy is the one for me. I just didn't like the ergos on the Explorer. I actually think the ST-1300 is a better bike, but I want 2013 bells and whistles and buying a 3 year old new bike doesn't make sense to me.

Now to find one at a price I want to pay . They don't seem to be dealing on them.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I was afraid of that. I found a 2013 with 3500 miles at a good discount off the new price.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I talked to the dealer about price and he quoted list plus freight, setup, tax, title, license, inspection, inventory charge and documentation fee--$21,262 out the door. Tax, title, license, inspection and documentation fee (state of Texas) are usually buyer responsibilities. A lot of dealers charge freight and setup charges, but the inventory fee is a new one on me but its only $40. Anyway, I told him that was more than I was willing to pay and he said make me an offer. I'm working on that so maybe they will deal a little.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
A very good deal came my way, I bought a pacific blue 2013 Trophy SE with 3900 miles for $13,500. I just couldn't pass up a deal like that.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
A very good deal came my way, I bought a pacific blue 2013 Trophy SE with 3900 miles for $13,500. I just couldn't pass up a deal like that.
That is exactly how I plan to do it in a year or two, well played!

Top Bottom