Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Your bias is showing ......... again.

]
Please chill. I was just commenting on the facts as I know them pertaining to these weights already mentioned. I am sure the Trophy is a great motorcycle and will make its mark.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Please chill. I was just commenting on the facts as I know them pertaining to these weights already mentioned. I am sure the Trophy is a great motorcycle and will make its mark.
You seldom make any comment on facts as you know them without implying some negative facts concerning BMW. I'll probably continue to point that out as long as you continue to do it ........ all while properly chilled :).

Last edited:

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
...... (gasp) it comes in more than one color :)..... and you don't have to take the seat off to refuel :D.
But can it do this ........ Last night I ran to Publix and got some cereal, fresh strawberries, OJ, dried fruit mix, bagels & cream cheese, box of kitchen trash bags and put all of it in the gas tank after taking my gloves and helmet out of it. :)

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm chilly Willy :D.

You seldom make any comment on facts as you know them without implying some negative facts concerning BMW. I'll probably continue to point that out as long as you continue to do it ........ all while properly chilled :).
That's your bias showing now.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Funny, I always thought Dave liked BMWs. Or was he cursed with one?:) I should pay more attention.

Anyway just called dealer to take him up on test ride offer. I waited too long, it's sold. Supposed to call me when he gets another one.

TPadden

Tom Padden
But can it do this ........ Last night I ran to Publix and got some cereal, fresh strawberries, OJ, dried fruit mix, bagels & cream cheese, box of kitchen trash bags and put all of it in the gas tank after taking my gloves and helmet out of it. :)
Nope, not allowed to run to Publix.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Funny, I always thought Dave liked BMWs. Or was he cursed with one?:) I should pay more attention.

Anyway just called dealer to take him up on test ride offer. I waited too long, it's sold. Supposed to call me when he gets another one.
I put 40,000 happy miles on one.

There will be another one for you to ride soon.

I am disappointed that Triumph isn't offering the base model as well as the SE model in the US. The SE is packaged with the low seat...is the regular seat an additional expense?
The Trophy, based on initial reports, is the best handling model in the market segment, however I think the acceleration and braking data between the two will be similar, regardless of the weight differential. The Explorer's dynamometer data indicated 114 rearwheel hp and 75 rearwheel ftlbs, marginally more hp and around 10 ftlbs less than the ST13...the ST13 may very well outperform the Trophy from idle to 7,750 rpm, which I believe is where the hp peaks. I want to see the graphs between the ST and Trophy compared...the ST makes the same hp numbers as the other Japanese bikes to about 6,250/6,500 rpm. 40 mph to 60 mph and 60 mph to 80 mph times are more useful info in real world riding.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Nope, not allowed to run to Publix.
At my house it goes like this. "Where have you been? I thought you were running up to Publix for the cream cheese I needed." Sorry honey, its 68 degrees in January and the riding was so nice I went past Publix and rode over the bridge and up A1A for twenty miles before I headed back to the grocery store. Sorry, but it was 50 miles I had to ride."

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am disappointed that Triumph isn't offering the base model as well as the SE model in the US. The SE is packaged with the low seat...is the regular seat an additional expense?
The Trophy, based on initial reports, is the best handling model in the market segment, however I think the acceleration and braking data between the two will be similar, regardless of the weight differential. The Explorer's dynamometer data indicated 114 rearwheel hp and 75 rearwheel ftlbs, marginally more hp and around 10 ftlbs less than the ST13...the ST13 may very well outperform the Trophy from idle to 7,750 rpm, which I believe is where the hp peaks. I want to see the graphs between the ST and Trophy compared...the ST makes the same hp numbers as the other Japanese bikes to about 6,250/6,500 rpm. 40 mph to 60 mph and 60 mph to 80 mph times are more useful info in real world riding.
The two reviews I have read echoed praise for light nimble handling but mentioned it comes with a price - a hard edge to the suspension, particularly in the rear. Could simply be a suspension adjustment. One of the reviews was 700 miles with half on small UK roads.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
The Trophy I sat on came with the stock seat which has hi/lo adjustability. The accessory website at the dealership showed an optional low seat or heated seat or low heated seat.

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
I too have sat on the new Trophy, and too, I was impressed. There could well be quite a number of good used ST's on the market this spring.
However, no need for me to sit and struggle with purchase decisions. Although the Triumph is indeed to lust after, I'll just have to plod along comfortably with a Vision...

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Booger and I went to see the Trophy today. Silver SE model on the floor. Blue one coming in next. Claims they will only get two of them. I guess they aren't such a hot item that the first one is pre-sold. I like it, looks good. Obvious who they are going after judging by the looks. Many items look interchangeable with an RT. Computer is comprehensive and looks easy enough to operate but not on the fly. Fit and finish is great, perhaps still a notch less than some of Honda's newer offerings. Big, comfortable seat, bolt upright ergo's, big shield placed farther away from the rider, I like the dash/instruments, angled valve stems, no key needed position for pannier access. The pannier sway system is of no concern to me after seeing its implementation. Good seat to peg distance. Huge, 190 rear tire. Panniers aren't as capacious as they look due to double wall. Getting it off and back on the centerstand is not the easiest.

Coming from a person who already owns a Sports Touring bike, I like it but can't see myself buying one. Sports Touring is old news to me but perhaps a test ride would change that feeling. Ready for Grandpa's ride (Goldwing) and an Adventure bike. Came away more intrigued by the Explorer.

Ya what Dinkie said. Nice looking,dang head on you would think it was a BMW RT. Can't say I would rush out and get one. As far as I'm concerned My K13GT is still a keeper. If I still had my ST I wouldn't have traded it in either. After the Triumph dealer we were off to the BMW dealer. Both Dinkie & I were drooling over the last 2012 1200GSA that was sold waiting for it's new owner to come pick it up. Some guys wife brought for him for his birthday:woo. Oh well I got to take long ride on an RT....but that's another story:D.

OP
OP
Not having had the chance to sit on the Trophy at the launch night 1st November 2012 here in the UK, I was recently driving past the local dealer and popped back in to spend five minutes sitting and tilting it. The shop is modest in size but the assistant couldn't find the bike. Checking the register to see if it was out on test revealed nothing. Eventually the bike was found in the workshop with a couple of fitters scratching their heads over a fault they couldn't figure out. The nice sales person said I should certainly come back another time. I said thank you and inwardly thought...maybe I won't. A touch harsh you all might think.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Sat on the Trophy again yesterday at the NYC moto show. No bike at the show I'd be more likely to buy, although I'd like something smaller and lighter if I were to replace the ST.

My ST1300/Versys stable continues to look good.

Bike
BMW R1200RT
I finally saw a Trophy in person today at the Chicago Motorcycle show. Looks very nice. Nothing I can really add here that hasn't already been mentioned, it's a nice looking bike. I wonder, tho, if there is any way to add highway pegs for stretching out those legs on those long rides. I took a close look at the side panels, but couldn't tell if there was access to the frame behind it. It looks like some cutting would be necessary. Guess it's time to head to the dealer for a better look.

edit; I also looked at a green Tiger 800. That color is AWESOME!

Top Bottom