Trophy 2012 / 2013

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I've put about 400 miles on the Trophy and I have to say it has a lot of similarities with the ST1300.

Physically, they are similar size and the view is the same from the saddle as the tank and fairing are the same shape. The US version comes with the low seat so you sit in the bike like the ST.

The engine is much louder than the ST's and isn't like anything I've heard in a bike. At idle and low rpm it sounds a lot like my Cummins diesel--a lot of valve clatter, and when you accelerate through the gears in normal riding there is a lot of whine from the counter balancers I guess. Finally, when you twist the throttle there is a wonderful exhaust note accompanied by a whoshing sound from the intake. I wonder how it got past the EPA with all the noise it makes.

Engine power is very similar to the ST although it has a few more HP at the top and revs easier and higher. I couldn't tell from the seat of my pants though, they feel very similar. Both have lots of torque available from about 2000 rpm and both turn 4000 rpm at 70 mph. The Trophy has mild vibration through both the pegs and bars up to about 2K and above 7K. It's smooth at other rpms.

The six speed tranny shifts great, but I think it would have been fine with a five speed since sixth seems to be about the same ratio as the ST's 5th gear and there is 300 rpm differenece between 5th and 6th at 70 mph. This is the first bike ?'ve owned with a cassette transmission and it sounds different than any other bike I've ridden, sort of like a hollow click.

The bags are easy to get off and look sorta small, but each holds a full face helmet so I guess they are big enough.
I'm ordering the top box which comes with an integrated 12V outlet.

It's a tall bike, even with the low seat and going from my wing to the Trophy was like going from a sedan to a 4X4. I felt like I was a mile in the air. The mirrors are positioned just like the STs, but are more obstructed by the grips and bags. You actually have to look between your fist on top and the top of the bags below. They are fairly large so you can see what's behind you. The speedo and tach are analog which I like and the display is very clear in all light, it's just really busy.

The seat, at least the low seat, is abyssmal, worst then the ST by a large margin, I've already ordered a normal seat. I'm a little worried because I can't flat foot the bike even with the low seat, but it's gotta go. The bars are higher and farther back than the ST so you aren't leaned forward as far and I didn't have any pressure on my wrist on the five hour ride home.

Coming back from Odessa on I20 and US 84/183/190 I was running between 75 and 85 most of the way and got about 53 mpg so with the 6.6 gallon tank I should get over 300 miles per tank, but my butt only makes it about 200 until I have to get off. The information display will show you a ton of information--probably more than I'll ever remember how to access. The three suspension modes can be adjusted on the fly, but the preloads have to be adjusted while sitting still. The bike has a much stiffer suspension than the ST and even on the comfort setting its pretty taut. It's downright stiff on sport. Overall I like it better than the ST's which I thought was undersprung for two up riding on the roads I frequent.

Weather protection is on par with the stock ST screen. I had a clearview GT Large screen with Goldwing vent on my ST and it was much better than the Triumph or Honda stock screens. With my stock screen I was constantly pulled toward the screen by the vacuum which formed at some speeds and this isn't a problem with the Trophy. The ST amazed me in the rain as I barely got wet even in a hard rain. I don't think that will be the case on the Trophy just because of the screens shape.

The cruise control is excellent without a lot of lag like the Goldwing. There is one feature that is a blessing and a curse. You can roll the throttle backwards and it disengages the cruise. However, the suspension is so stiff that any kind of bump jars you enough that you inavertently turn it off if you are not careful and sometimes even when you are.

I think I'm going to really like the bike once I get used to using all its features.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I received and installed the standard seat and what a difference it makes. Now I can sit on the flat part of the seat and as a bonus I have more leg room. It's a little taller, but manageable.

I wish the screen went a little lower because in the full down position it's too tall for me to get my head in clear air .

Fueling is spot on with no abrupt on/off operation. The only issue I really have with the throttle is how far you have to twist it to pin it. You almost need to double clutch it to get max throttle.

For some reason, there was no inspection sticker on the bike so I took it to the closest dealer, which is a HD dealer, for the inspection. The service writer asked me a bunch of questions about it and said it looked like a BMW. After he finished the inspection he said it looked like Triumph out BMW'ed BMW .

Last edited:
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
With the lower temps this week I've been riding the Trophy to work instead of the Harley. Here's a few more observations.

The regular seat really does make a big difference and as a bonus it actually puts my head above the windshield turbulence when the screen is all the way down.

The integrated audio is "okay", but not nearly as good as the wing's. At 70 mph it's pretty garbled and the controls aren't as intuitive as the wing's.

The self cancelling turn signals work really well. And for those of you who don't want them you can turn them off.

You know how you can sometimes get a warbling sound from your bike when another vehicle drives next to you. It's like the exhaust changes pitch up and down. This bike will do that by itself at certain rpm and its annoying. You can just speed up or slow down a little bit and it goes away, but it's puzzling.

The TPMS on my bike isn't very accurate. With cold tire pressure adjusted to 36/42 it reads 40/46. At least it gives you a reading relative to your actual pressure and you can see the pressure change as the tires heat up.

The saddle bags are supposed to open and close just like BMW's. My only niggle is it's a two handed operation, you have push the handle down while holding the key fully clockwise.

Weather protection for your legs is very good and it even has little wings that keep water off your feet.

Once you hit 6K rpm really cool things happen and its really addictive. There is lots of room to lean and I don't know that I'm ever going to scrape anything on this bike. I remember scraping things on the ST occasionally and have worn one set of acorn nuts off the foot pegs on the wing.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
The engine is much louder than the ST's and isn't like anything I've heard in a bike. At idle and low rpm it sounds a lot like my Cummins diesel--a lot of valve clatter, and when you accelerate through the gears in normal riding there is a lot of whine from the counter balancers I guess. Finally, when you twist the throttle there is a wonderful exhaust note accompanied by a whoshing sound from the intake. I wonder how it got past the EPA with all the noise it makes.
Easy. EPA is measured X distance from the bike. You're riding in an accoustic pocket of air that gathers up all the music for your enjoyment. A lot of it is at frequencies that attenuate very quickly, so no joy for EPA. :D

Top Bottom