Engine cut at 5500-6000 RPM, need help !

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
Is it possible that the tach is reading incorrectly? If it is the engine could be hitting the rev limiter. I know on my U.S. bike that the engine is at 3500 rpm when the speedo says 65 mph, not sure what it should be on metric gauges.

OP
OP
Smok3
Bike
ST1300
I have this bike for 7 months, and I took her up on the red line...something happened recently, but I do not know why....its posibile my ECU failure ?

from your video, when you rev your engine with gear engage only the F1 light kick in at 5500 6000 rpm but the engine does not die consistantly at the same rpm range.

Can you check the F1 error code.If the error code is 25 or 26, please check your knock sensor wire harness 32109-MCS-010 carefully for burnt mark or melting of the plastic at the joint.

We have similiar incident here with the above problems and manage to resolve after changing the wire harness and clearing the F1 error code.

RCS

I checked through the Service Manual troubleshooting section for poor performance at high speed. It suggests that you check the ignition timing. If the ignition timing is not normal it could be a faulty ECM or a faulty ignition pulse generator or faulty valve timing. Since you did not mention a recent valve adjustment I would eliminate the valve timing as a potential problem.

The procedure for checking the engine timing is in the Service Manual on page 20-8. You will need a timing light. I don't know where the ignition pulse generator is on this motorcycle. It may be part 30300-MCS-003?

Maybe consider replacing part number 30300-MCS-003 for $45? I am only guessing on this one. My rational for this guess is that the motorcycle is 10 years old, the ignition pulse generator is attached to the crank and I believe the pulse generator is a mechanical/electrical part, and you mentioned that you were able to red line the bike a few times before this happened. So, I am thinking that at a certain RPM this mechanical/electrical part is beginning to fail to generate the pulse for the ignition. All assumptions on my part.

Last edited:

2005RedRider

Still ridin'
Bike
2014 Harley FLHTCU
Sounds like you have a faulty Rev Limiter, or the Rev Limiter is gettiing false input. From what I understand, the Rev Limiter kicks in somewhere between 9,000 and 9,500 rpms. Yours seems to be kicking in at about half of that.

Do you have a trustworthy Honda service center in your area? If so, I would take it there. They should have the diagnostic tools to analyze and solve the problem.

Dale

OP
OP
Smok3
Bike
ST1300
Today I go to a Honda center for diagnosis...and we had a "surprise" ....tester(diagnostic tools) was not connected to my bike, or the mecanic of the Honda is stupid...I do not know which version, but could not read anything with diagnostic tool.I have NO errors code on dashboard
@azzy tell me more, about your problem and about the knock sensor, tell me more about F1 as check error code, I put my contact (ON) and I have no error code, FI is not on.....wire coating is burned near the sensor but the wire same is OK (I do not know why not working to upload pictures on this forum)

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
from your video, when you rev your engine with gear engage only the F1 light kick in at 5500 6000 rpm but the engine does not die consistantly at the same rpm range.

Can you check the F1 error code.If the error code is 25 or 26, please check your knock sensor wire harness 32109-MCS-010 carefully for burnt mark or melting of the plastic at the joint.

We have similiar incident here with the above problems and manage to resolve after changing the wire harness and clearing the F1 error code.
That's not the FI light turning on in the video its the ABS light turning on because the rear wheel is spinning but the front wheel is not.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I'm not sure about the Pan European version of the bike but the ST1300s over here had a recall concerning the ground wire. Here is a link to the recall. Something that you might want to check into...

OP
OP
Smok3
Bike
ST1300
Thank you very much Scooter, but my bike is marked, that I checked when I bought it...I studied this forum a lot before I buy it and the common problems of this motorcycle...but I'll do a check again .....

Last edited:
Smoke3, Prior to the engine Cutting in/out @ 5500-6000 rpm, did you "fix" anything? perform any maintenance on the machine? wash the bike? go off-road (hard bumpy riding), even changing a light bulb? Any problems with the neighbors prior to the engine malfunction/s, and would they have access to the bike?

Were you into ANY of the wiring loom/s?

Of course these (all of the above) have happened to me at one time or another in the last 55 years w/various machines. The latest...... was with the ST..... I developed a coolant leak under the "gas tank". unknown to me, I disconnected one of the wiring connections, (near the thermostat housing). When I put the plastic back on, the wiring would press on a hose which press on a large connector, in turn producing a disconnect that grounded out the coils........ what a pita. 3 weeks later and all of the wiring connectors (in the loom/s) opened cleaned & re-wrapped, it was found. 3 seconds w/a screwdriver pushed the original connector together again....
Don't over look the little things....sl

OP
OP
Smok3
Bike
ST1300
Until now did I not solve anything.:( bike works normally until it reaches 5500-6000 rpm in all gears and neutral
I checked :
- Intake air temperature sensor(IAT)
- Knock sensor
- MAP sensor
- TP sensor
- Engine colant sensor(ECT)
- Ignition Pulse Genereator
- Cam Pulse Generator
- All 4 injector conection
- Fuell cut-off relay
- ECU
- Fuel Pump
- Coils
I opened the connectors listed and I spray contact cleaner, blew air and I reconnected

I removed :
- All 4 SparkPlugs (iridium and are in good condition)
- I removed the fuel pump and I checked the fuel filter(secondary tank and fuel filter good condition)
I go to the Honda service and the mechanic couldn't connect the bike to the tester and does not know what is causing the problem....

Last edited:
Bike
2005 FJR1300A
STOC #
The tach response in your video acts just like what a rev limiter would do.
Questions that come to mind, but have no answer for are:
1) does the ECM (or what ever its called) control rev limiting?
2) if so, what does it use to sense revs
3) what does it use to determine over-rev

Wish I could be of more help, you've been fighting this for a while now.

2005RedRider

Still ridin'
Bike
2014 Harley FLHTCU
Until now did I not solve anything.:( bike works normally until it reaches 5500-6000 rpm in all gears and neutral
I checked :
- Intake air temperature sensor(IAT)
- Knock sensor
- MAP sensor
- TP sensor
- Engine colant sensor(ECT)
- Ignition Pulse Genereator
- Cam Pulse Generator
- All 4 injector conection
- Fuell cut-off relay
- ECU
- Fuel Pump
- Coils
I opened the connectors listed and I spray contact cleaner, blew air and I reconnected

I removed :
- All 4 SparkPlugs (iridium and are in good condition)
- I removed the fuel pump and I checked the fuel filter(secondary tank and fuel filter good condition)
I go to the Honda service and the mechanic couldn't connect the bike to the tester and does not know what is causing the problem....
Just curious, does your bike have electronic cruise control installed on it?

Dale

OP
OP
Smok3
Bike
ST1300
No Dale standard motorcycle, recently (2 days) I removed: fog lights, 12V socket, heated grips, voltmeter....but it seems no change ...I use every day my motorcycle...I do not know what to do and what to check...will try next week with another fuel pump...Tomorrow I'll put the old spark plugs...Now I have Iridium....who knows...?!?!?! I tried and I put the original exhaust...but it seems that the problem persists....:)

2005RedRider

Still ridin'
Bike
2014 Harley FLHTCU
Sorry you're going through this. There a lot of smart people on this forum. Hopefully, someone will guide you to a solution.
At least your emoticon is still smiling.

Dale:)

OP
OP
Smok3
Bike
ST1300
Yes because the bike works and use it every day, this is why I smile and because no one knows what can be...even Honda dealer

RCS

Have you checked the ignition timing with a timing light?

As I mentioned in an earlier post I would consider either a faulty ECM or a faulty ignition pulse generator.

Cleaning the pulse generator is not the same as replacing it. Maybe your local shop could swap a new one in to see if that makes a difference before going further.

Last edited:

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Smok3, when you say that you have checked the ECU, how did you do this? The ECU would be my prime suspect at this point but they are expensive. Is there anyone over there that you could swap your ECU with to verify the failure?

OP
OP
Smok3
Bike
ST1300
@ Sooter : I checked and cleaned, blown air only ECU connectors...I do not have to get one, I don`t have frends who have PanEuropean
@RCS : I didn`t checked ignition timing....for the moment I suspected fuel pump and I wait until next week when I do a test with a new pump....today happened to cut around 4500-5000 Rpm.... I do not like this :(

to put another ECU I also need contact and key? I'm right ?

Top Bottom