I think I have a leak

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
That seems a rather unprofessional response from Honda customer service. Closed implies a resolution of some kind. Even if that resolution is that they intend to do nothing on your behalf, they should have the courtesy to advise you of such. If they did do something in response to your complaint, one would think that they should also communicate that to you.

If it is possible to respond to that email, I would respond back asking them what action was taken, if any, that justified closing this case.

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
That seems a rather unprofessional response from Honda customer service. Closed implies a resolution of some kind. Even if that resolution is that they intend to do nothing on your behalf, they should have the courtesy to advise you of such. If they did do something in response to your complaint, one would think that they should also communicate that to you.

If it is possible to respond to that email, I would respond back asking them what action was taken, if any, that justified closing this case.
I am able to reply and have not as I have been speaking with the dealership owner.

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
Picked up my new parts from the dealer. clutch cover gasket, water pump cover o-ring, bearing, oil seal and mechanical seal. Bought a Harbor Freight 12 ton press because that's what was in stock in my area. Fortunately, when I purchased the new to me clutch cover it came with a water pump cover so I have an undamaged one that just needs cleaning.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Glad to hear that the dealer took responsibility for their mistake and replaced all of your damaged parts.
Hopefully you will have better luck with the install this time.

Bike
ST1300 - 2004
Hi everybody
I am in the process to rehearse the cooling circuit
My ST1300 model ABS France from 2004,
I had the mechanical joint (bearing,...) changed by my local Honda dealer, but as far as I saw, he never cared about any depth.
The cover at this time is not re-installed as I am doing work on the hoses.
Could you give me a picture of the manual stating of this depth and a view because on the manuals I have (english and french), none of them are talking about this point. These manuals about cooling system end at page 6.20.
many thanks

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Could you give me a picture of the manual stating of this depth and a view because on the manuals I have (english and french), none of them are talking about this point.
See the attached PDF. This is from my 2013 Honda ST1300 Service manual.

Attachments

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
Many thanks Andrew for the PDF, I am lucky as the depth I measured is 24mm (in fact the honda mechanic was lucky), I hope this depth is also compatible with my ST1300 vintage
24mm is the correct measurement.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Many thanks Andrew for the PDF, I am lucky as the depth I measured is 24mm (in fact the honda mechanic was lucky), I hope this depth is also compatible with my ST1300 vintage
You're welcome.
This is applicable to all year ST1300's.

Bike
ST1300 - 2004
Good evening or afternoon,
I was reading in the service manuel page 1-23 that the waterpump drive sprocket had to be lubricated with a 50% mix of oil and molybden disulfide, as I think I am going to set up the cover tomorrow, may you confirm ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
I used an upside down 27mm socket to support the bearing. Pressed the impeller down until it made contact with the mechanical seal. Removed cover from press and measured. Press some more and measure. Repeated until proper 24mm protrusion reached. Red nylon cutting board for shims. Now to reassemble the bike.:pray1:
PXL_20220319_173515250.jpg

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If you would have turned the entire assembly upside down, supported the prop, and placed the correct length spacer over the shaft, then pressed the cover down until the ram kissed the end of the shaft, you'd have perfect distance, without worrying about the "oops" I went to far that sometimes happens with your method.
Glad to see your getting it all back together again.

Bike
ST1300 - 2004
Hope it will be successfull also for me , but for now I am waiting for new hoses, not so many kilometers but 18 years old, I took the oportunity many things were removed.
By the way if you have tips about changing the hoses I will appreciate.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Thanks both, procedure used by Igofar seems skill, what kind of spacer, PVC can be strong enough or it's compulsory a metal spacer ?
I took a Harley Davidson Heritage Softail front wheel spacer, which happens to be the same size to support the bearing, trimmed it down to the proper depth, supported the end of the prop on a perfectly flat surface, placed the spacer over the shaft, and used an arbor press against the spacer, until the spacer and end of the prop was flush. Worked perfectly.

Top Bottom