ST1300 Clutch Lever and Pipe Leak

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Gee...100 miles towing...How far from Tucson...??? One way trailer..???:think1:
Sorry folks.....but I was just recently spoiled by the whisper........ Wish everyone could be too... :pray1::hat2:

It is well worth the trip. Made it from N E Washington..... we live less than 100 miles from Canada. To Tucson AZ. Never knew all the things that could be improved.....thought I had it handled. Larry knows his stuff. Just sayin......
Just my two cents worth....
ToddC

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Actually it would be a two day job for Larry. He’d remove all the plastics and tank and sync the TB’s, clean out the 5 way tee, clean and tighten all the hoses, bleed the brakes, etc, etc, and then clean the engine before reassembling. Trust me
:eek:
OK Roger, I deserved that :doh1:

Bike
2015 Yamaha FJR1300
Make the drive to Larry. If you need a stopping point, I am in Nevada about 7 hours north of him.

Another option: ship the bike and fly to Tucson.

It might be a bit more hassle to get there but the work will be done right AND you can learn much more about the bike in the process.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
It is well worth the trip. Made it from N E Washington..... we live less than 100 miles from Canada. To Tucson AZ. Never knew all the things that could be improved.....thought I had it handled. Larry knows his stuff. Just sayin......
Heck, I made the drive from Canada (Toronto, in Eastern Canada) to Larry's when he was still in California. Absolutely and positively worth the trip.
It might be a bit more hassle to get there but the work will be done right AND you can learn much more about the bike in the process.
Amen.

Michael

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Gee...100 miles towing...How far from Tucson...??? One way trailer..???:think1:
Sorry folks.....but I was just recently spoiled by the whisper........ Wish everyone could be too... :pray1::hat2:

Just my two cents worth....
ToddC
No thank you, think I'll pass on this one, way too many cooks have been in the kitchen with this one.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Roger....I'm retired now:rofl1:
Todd....I'm still recovering from your service job...and Paul's....;)
Mr. Zimmerman...I thought we were friends...your not helping me here:nuts:
Michael....your not doing me any favors here pal :well1:
Nope....Nada.....Ain't gonna happen.....Too many issues to take on this puppy.
Besides I'm booked up for the next month or so, and am expecting Skipcurt to arrive from Georgia on Sunday or Monday, so I can completely go through his bike after his Iron Butt Coast to Coast ride from Georgia to California. Not sure how long I'll have to keep his bike hostage.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The other leak, working it now

Seal looks ripped

Niiiiiice

Rebuilt
Something does not look right here...did you put the plunger back in with the round end up against the cup on the master cylinder side? and the Flush end into the brass bushing on the lever?
The boot looks bunched up. take a small deep well socket and gently push the boot inside the housing.
Pretty nasty leak in there, did you clean everything up and use your rebuild kit?
Kudo's to you for doing the work yourself! I know you can do these things, and with some of the members help, I'm sure you could save yourself alot of money and bond with your bike.
Good Job.

OP
OP
AV8R
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Yes i used the kit, but no new plunger, so i cleaned it up so it wont eat the rubber
Yes the plunger was azz backwards
Yes i made the boot fit right
And i polished the brass bushing like new

What does the micro switch control?

Tomorrow i talk to the mech mgr again

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
And i polished the brass bushing like new...
The problem you need to look for on that brass bushing is wear within the small hole drilled in the side of the bushing.

The plunger goes into that hole, and over time, it wears away the brass (softer metal) and digs a deeper hole. Eventually, it will wear its way all the way through the brass bushing. How long that takes depends on how frequently the clutch is operated (city or highway riding), whether the little hole in the side of the brass bushing is kept lubricated, etc. Anecdotal reports here on the forum suggest that the bushing usually needs to be replaced prior to 100,000 miles.

So, take a good look inside that little hole in the bushing - I think that the hole only goes about halfway through when the bushing is new. If it goes deeper than that, replace the bushing (it is inexpensive). Put some good quality grease inside the hole before you re-assemble it all, but after you do that and reassemble everything, put a paper towel under the bushing the first time you park the bike in the sunlight - a wee bit of grease will drip out the first day.

See these posts for more information:

Clutch Lever Parts Replacement - note the wear on the outside of the old bushing - it is almost elliptical
ST1100 clutch engages at very end of lever travel - the design of both the ST 1100 and ST 1300 clutch lever (and most Honda clutch levers) is pretty much the same.

Michael

OP
OP
AV8R
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
I can buy a new brass bushing. Thanks

Got the parts and just talked to the service manager. Told him what IGo said about 1 1/2 - 2 hours and he said he would keep it under 3. Im good with that.

So AAA is on the way to save the day. 43 miles on a flatbed. Hopefully this will be done by Wednesday or Thursday so i can ride again.

OP
OP
AV8R
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Well... shes off to the folks that maintained her when she was in LE Service
Lets see how they care for her and me.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Well... shes off to the folks that maintained her when she was in LE Service
Lets see how they care for her and me.

Glad they are taking care of it for you.
His comment of keeping it three hours or less, means three hours, at probably $120 hr.
Plus parts, fluid, tax and stuff etc.
My guess is the bill will be $375 to $400 dollars....for R/R one clutch line.
Makes me think I should come out of retirement lol.

OP
OP
AV8R
Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Just got call, bike is done already (took it in Saturday). Looks like 3.8 hrs labor Im gunna see if they will give me the 10% LE discount. I didnt want to miss the Easter rides.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just got call, bike is done already (took it in Saturday). Looks like 3.8 hrs labor Im gunna see if they will give me the 10% LE discount. I didnt want to miss the Easter rides.
Good, glad to hear they got you situated! :wave1:

Top Bottom