OP
OP
CYYJ

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I picked up the head coolant fitting o-rings from Honda yesterday and when I went to put the left side on the following pictures show what I found.
Wow! Thanks very much for sharing what you found - especially the pictures. I never would have thought that O-rings could deteriorate that badly.

Michael

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I wonder if the bike spent a lot of time in the side stand and if that could be a reason.

Update: got everything back together Saturday. Old lead appears to be fixed (in the valley) new NAPA hoses to oil cooler- one is leaking. Hoses were too thick and in trying to get the inner one onto the nipple of the oil cooler I must have split it. New honda oil cooler water hoses on order now and bike coming back apart again.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
That doesn't even look like an O-ring anymore!? Was it possibly a bunch of sealant stuck in the ring recess, or maybe something applied to the O-ring that made the rubber deteriorate? Haven't ever seen one that bad, normally they're smashed or pinched but still resemble the original somewhat.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
They often look like that under the fittings, especially on the Police motors.

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Awesome write up. Thanks.
I have a leak of oil from the round hole.
Is that possible?
Maybe the seal on the water pump impeller allowing the oil to leak out but not into the water system...?

Attachments

I have a leak of oil from the round hole.
As a rule, what looks to be like oil, is usually coolant where dirt has accumulated with the leaking coolant itself.

Best to clean the area, then check coolant level, adjusting as necessary, then occasionally check the level and the weep hole.

EDIT: odd ... you're photos weren't visible the first time I read your post. But it does appear you have coolant leaking and quite possibly an oil leak or spill.

Again, I'd clean the area, top fluids up, then check on both "leaks" occassionally.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
If it is oil then maybe it can be fixed by replacing the seal?
If it is water then replacing the seal will fix it...
Bike has only got around 190,000 kms on it........ hehe

Bike
ST1300
I had a minor leak of coolant from the water pump drain hole (round one). Here's a pic of the old vs new pump.
That was 5 years ago when I replaced it, and the mechanical seals. It's been good ever since.

Attachments

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have been denying/ignoring the slight sweet smell of antifreeze but yesterday when I pulled into the garage there was no denying that I have a leak. I will pull the plastics and try to determine from where. I have replace most if not all of the hoses and clamps already. I'm sitting at 90,500ish miles on the odo.

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
I had a minor leak of coolant from the water pump drain hole (round one). Here's a pic of the old vs new pump.
That was 5 years ago when I replaced it, and the mechanical seals. It's been good ever since.
I filled the vane ditch with RTV silicon before install the mechanical seal let it drying up before put back together. The reason I filled with silicon so the seal won't be moving around the shaft or vane housing while engine is runing.

Last edited:
Hello all,
Just a quick question does anyone know if the later front cover which can be purchased with the water pump impeller and seal already fitted will fit straight on to the older engines (pre-2008 I think)? The older ones only show the mech seal etc as separate parts, the only difference I can see is the later ones have the drain hose fitted instead of just a hole.
Thanks, Ed.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Hello all,
Just a quick question does anyone know if the later front cover which can be purchased with the water pump impeller and seal already fitted will fit straight on to the older engines (pre-2008 I think)? The older ones only show the mech seal etc as separate parts, the only difference I can see is the later ones have the drain hose fitted instead of just a hole.
Thanks, Ed.
They are all separate parts.

970mike,
Thanks for reply, I see that all parts are available separately but the number 11340MCSD80 for a 2008 (A8) shows as a complete front assembly with the impeller, seal, drain and hose shown within the area for that part number (cover-comp front crankcase), The impeller and seal are also available separately as well if req. The earlier ones 2006 (A6) show just the front crankcase cover, the water pump parts are on a different page. I wondered if the 2008 complete cover with impeller etc would fit the older engines. I guess most people will just get the part for the year of their bike but I wondered what with the varying details on seal depth etc it could just be easier to get the later cover with the seal and impeller already fitted as long as there are no other differences. Thanks to all the members who take time to share their experiences I thought maybe someone had already done this.
Thanks,:)
Ed.

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I see that in 2008 the cover is not offered separately, only with the water pump installed. The 2006 cover without water pump is $307, while the 2008 with water pump is $275. If just replacing the pump, seal and cover gasket the cost is below $100. I wish I could answer if the 2008 cover would fit the 2006, maybe someone who knows will chime in.

woodybelle,
Thanks for checking, I guess although it is more expensive I thought some people might want to fit the complete cover from the newer engines (2008 on) if it saves the hassle of pressing in the seal etc. Unfortunately for us in the uk the cost of the front cover (2008) is about £550, ie $700 ish. I suspect for us it means most will buy the seal etc separately as this is much cheaper, I just thought that as it is (relatively) cheaper for yourselves someone may have tried the newer parts.
Thanks,
Ed.:thumb:

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
There are two 'weep holes' on a ST 1300 motorcycle. They serve entirely different purposes and have nothing to do with each other. Because the two outlets (the "round hole" and the "square hole") are located very close together, this sometimes causes confusion.

I'm not sure which hole you are talking about... your question suggests that you are asking about the "round hole" (the water pump drain), but that hole is very unlikely to get plugged up. The hole that is at greatest risk of getting plugged up is the "square hole".

Below you will find a series of photos that illustrates the path liquid travels before it drips out of either one of these holes.

First, let's identify the two holes. The photo below is of a 2012 ST. Early production models did not have the metal elbow and rubber drain hose extension on this hole -they just had a round hole. I think the elbow and rubber hose were added at the beginning of model year 2007 or 2008 production.

Drain Holes
View attachment 234412

The round hole (upper hole) is the simplest and easiest to understand. It allows engine coolant to drain out of the water pump if there is a failure of the seals within the water pump. The two photos below show you everything you need to know about the approximately two-inch long path from the innards of the water pump to the round hole outlet on the side of the engine.

Front View of Round Hole
The snowflake-shaped thing is the water pump.
View attachment 234413

Rear view of water pump
You can see the little molded channel leading from the inside of the water pump to the round drain hole - look at the 4 o'clock position.
View attachment 234414

That's all there is to the round hole. Very simple, very straightforward, a very short drainage path that serves one purpose only. If you discover coolant (or, God forbid, oil) leaking out of the round hole, the water pump will need to be replaced.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Square Hole

The purpose of the square hole is to drain liquid from the 'V' between the two banks of cylinders. The 'liquid' could be anything - perhaps clean water from sources external to the motorcycle that gets into the V between the cylinders when you are washing the motorcycle, perhaps oil that leaks from somewhere (who knows where) into the V, or (most probably) small amounts of engine coolant that leak from hose connections in the 'V' area.

The next series of pictures will follow the path of liquid that drains out of the square hole, but in reverse. In other words, the pictures will start at the outlet of the square hole and work their way back until reaching the bottom of the V at the front of the engine.

Front of Engine (Water Pump Cover Removed)
Here you can see the square hole outlet in the lower left, and the inlet to the channel leading to the square hole.
View attachment 234415

Same picture as above, but before cleaning things up
When the water pump cover is installed, it creates a square channel that allows liquid and debris (usually sand that gets thrown up into the V by the rear wheel) to flow out the hole at the top, down the channel, and out onto the ground.
View attachment 234416

The opposite side of the above photo
The hole at the tip of the arrow is the same hole as the upper hole in the picture above.
View attachment 234417

This photo is taken from the front of the moto, looking aft at the front of the engine, after the big cover in the three photos above has been removed.
Note that the liquid (and debris) enters from the hole at the top, drops down about half an inch, then exits via the hole shown in the photo above. This chicane creates a problem: if there is a large amount of debris, the drainage path will plug up at this point, and it is very difficult to clean it out without full disassembly.
View attachment 234418

Finally, where it all starts
This photo shows the drain hole in the V at the front, top of the engine. It is the opposite side of the photo directly above.
View attachment 234419

If the drainage path between the hole in the V shown directly above and the square hole on the side of the motorcycle (shown on the first picture at the very top) becomes plugged, water will not drain from the V between the cylinder banks. The bottom part of the alternator may become submerged in liquid, and debris that accumulates in the V may be carried into the alternator by the liquid.

I hope this answers your question.

Michael
Hi Michael!
Thank you so much for posting all these info, very much appreciated!
I am in the process of finding and fixing some coolant leak from the V and I am wondering if it could be helpful to use compressed air to clean the drainage path?
I already found the origine of the leak coming from the upper hose clamp and I am replacing them.
Do you think using compressed air (150 psi) through the square hole could work or is there anything against it?
Thank you again!

Top Bottom