We are honored with Allen Millyard working an 1100!

Bike
2009 ST1300
I also think it would be good to see a V6 Sport Touring bike; I think that when Honda thought it wasn't such a good idea, they were right. However now, we're seeing these 60 degree / even firing / countershaftless / VVT / VVL / low rotating mass engines with [always has been characteristic of inline sixes] peak / valley torque characteristics that are smoother than inline fours. I'd like to see Honda make one but, my money says it ain't gonna happen.

ChriSTian_64

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I am surprised though that he doesn't own a torque wrench and had to borrow one...
Working with like 3 in various ranges outs me with OCD then...
Well, that's not exactly what I heard him say...
At 10:35 (in the 2nd video), he says the torque wrench he's gonna be using, is the one he bought from his friend Henry, that is brand new and have never been used, and that he have another one, a bit bigger and older.

It would be hard, indeed, to imagine someone like him, with the work he does, not having any torque wrench.

And I completely agree with you.... It takes a few of them, of different ranges.

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
Those little location dowels are always a worry .They are all alike and so anonymous . You need a good collection of tin boxes for this machine . He does give a methodical tip every so often and puts units back together , after a quick look ,in case he loses something .

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
One good point in a 6 cylinder Honda stripdown ( Not Allen`s video ) is the toolboard showing how few tools are used for the whole job .

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
He said that the torque wrench "is one he borrowed from his friend Henry". I think you need to be familiar with his accent because he does say "borrowed" rather fast. But he did mention that he had an old one of his own.

Said friend Henry will probably be Henry Cole, with whom Allen has appeared in Shed & Buried.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
He said that the torque wrench "is one he borrowed from his friend Henry". I think you need to be familiar with his accent because he does say "borrowed" rather fast. But he did mention that he had an old one of his own.

Said friend Henry will probably be Henry Cole, with whom Allen has appeared in Shed & Buried.
Accent - what accent? :biggrin:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Most simply can't wait to point this out. You know, their tone, snide remarks, self importance.
But then there are chaps and chapesses like Mr Millyard. Just so skilled, informed and capable that they aren't bothered about one-upmanship.
+1 all around. I really really liked the casual conversional way about him. Even if he wasn't as supremely skilled as he is his demeanor and articulation are rare in the YouTubeUniverse. No self-aggrandizing and no hemming/hawing searching for words etc. He knows what he's doing and where he's going. We're informed and amazed and totally without frustration. Well except for wishing we were that skilled.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Well, that's not exactly what I heard him say...
Yes. He says "I have got one but it's a bit big and a bit old. This one is brand new and never been used." In watching only these two videos I figure he pretty much knows what he's doing.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
It would be hard, indeed, to imagine someone like him, with the work he does, not having any torque wrench.
My sentiments exactly...
Don't need fancy Snap-on or Facom kits, but t/wrenches should be precise...
And I completely agree with you.... It takes a few of them, of different ranges.
Especially for the small range they're hard to find... got my small one (<20Nm) at a bicycle supply, go figure...

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100
I've just watched a 50 minutes video about him ( on the youtube channel of MoreBikes.co.uk ) , where he talks about him, his background, how it all started, etc...

And then he shows up his relatively small garage and his couple tools....

He doesn't have so much tools. No big shinny snap-on multi-drawer tools chest.

He does everything whit a few ratchet and sockets, a few spanners, a few pliers, etc. Says he doesn't need more than a few reliable tools. o_O

Outstanding video, thanks for sharing.

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
Has anyone noticed that Allen does not use an impact drill to disassemble this motor ? I don`t remember hearing him say the phrase "Tear down " either . That would go against his mental approach . Patience and cups of tea is the system . All the while ,as he takes apart , he observes details .

ChriSTian_64

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
He said that the torque wrench "is one he borrowed from his friend Henry". I think you need to be familiar with his accent because he does say "borrowed" rather fast.
Oh ! Yeah... I thought about that possibility too, after my post.
It sounded like "bought" or "brought" to my "french as a mother tongue" hearing.

Plus... that lovely accent.
My mistake. :biggrin:

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
From your location, I guessed you were at a disadvantage when it came to deciphering the mongrel language we have over here! o_O

To my ears, French is the nicest-sounding of them all.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
From your location, I guessed you were at a disadvantage when it came to deciphering the mongrel language we have over here!
:rofl1: C'mon man! His "accent" may not be RP but it's not Geordie or Manchester! I do have to turn the volume up a little given me age and all. It does help to watch a lot of Brit TV. And I confess to using subtitles on occasion. Shetland and Vera for two. Occasionally Line of Duty for a third.

It's something of a trope but it makes me laugh when a TV show or movie has an American in another country telling someone there "I like your accent" and gets the reply "What accent."

An aside — it amazes me how many actors from the UK make a living playing Americans in TV and movies with a perfect (neutral) US mid-west non-denominational accent.

It was several seasons before finding out that Hugh Laurie (Black Adder stuff / Jeeves and Wooster) was a Brit doing US stuff flawlessly (House / Chance / Avenue 5). My biggest surprise wasn't from the UK but from AU. That would be Anthony LaPaglia (Without a Trace) and Robert Taylor (not that Robert Taylor) (Longmire). And let's not forget Yvonne Strahovski (Chuck / Handmaid's Tale).

That bunny trail is a lot longer leading to a deeper rabbit hole so enough of that. But I found Millyard easy to understand. Had I needed help understanding him YouTube's CC would have made matters much worse.

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
By "mongrel language" I meant the English language itself. English is a jumble of all the languages of people that invaded Britain, including the Romans, Vikings, French - and the languages of other countries they'd already invaded!

As for dialects... to a native English speaker (not French like ChriSTian), Millyard's Home Counties accent is very easy to understand.

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
Try.......

Top Bottom