Test rode a 2010 RT today

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I bought a new 2010 BMW GS Adventure after much deliberation. $24K OTD as equipped with almost all of the Goodies. I really liked the way the RT rode but it was Not Price Competitive with ST1300, 2007, left over, In The Crate, for 12.7K OTD. I have a Honda Dealer and a BMW Dealer within 7 Miles of my house. The Honda Dealer will let you test Ride a Goldwing after Your Check Clears the Bank and DMV Registration is Done. BMW Welcomes Test Rides. Honda Dealer lets you know after you let your ride leave that they were wrong and your bike is not ready, In Fact They Haven't Even Started to work on it YET. BMW will call you if there's a problem and will give you a loaner Bike. Honda will let you use the Shop Phone to call yourself a Cab. I do all of my own work, Tires and Balance included. I don't care what the Services Cost.

ST1300 is a great Bike and a Fantastic Value. Honda Dealers, Not So Much.
R1200GS Adventure is a Niche Bike. It's a Very Fast Mountain Goat with a Lot Of Cargo Capacity!

Both Bikes a terrific. It just depends on where you are going and what you are doing.
Well, I suppose there is only one logical choice then: get BOTH!!! :D

TPadden

Tom Padden
Were there any significant changes from the 2009 RT1200 to the 2010 model?
Yep - the engine is now twin cam per head and shimmed (increasing torque and max RPM), adjustment is easier than screw and locknut. Minor cosmetics - revisions to the screen and cockpit designs, switch gear (including conventional indicators), and location of the hydraulic fluid reservoirs.

Yep - the engine is now twin cam per head and shimmed (increasing torque and max RPM), adjustment is easier than screw and locknut. Minor cosmetics - revisions to the screen and cockpit designs, switch gear (including conventional indicators), and location of the hydraulic fluid reservoirs.
Well, that certainly qualifies as significant. Thanks for that information, TPadden.

Bike
ST1300/ABS
While touring in Florida a couple of months ago, I met a guy on a 04 R1150RT. His RT had two final drive failures in 75000 miles, plus, he was so paranoid about another failure that he had a complete final drive unit boxed up in his garage so that he could have his neighbor mail it to him in the event of another failure. He was stranded many miles from a dealer during both rear drive failures.

I love BMW's, but my last, a 04 R1150RT, had several issues, oil leaks, and ABS brake modulator failure. Both of those issues were repaired under warranty, but I sold the bike right before the warranty expired.

I would not consider another BMW until they go back to the unlimited mileage warranty, and solve the problem with rear drives!! However, I do believe that the rear drive issue may be overblown, at least to some extent.

I'm planning on a new touring bike in 2011, and am crossing my fingers that the new ST is a little lighter, built in radio and navagation, etc. I still believe that Honda quality cannot be beat, at least in my opinion.

Bike
ST1300/ABS
When I visited my local BMW dealer a few weeks ago, the manager told me that the new 2010 model RT needed a "BMW computer" to adjust the valves. It looks like he may have been wrong. Also, those hydraulic fluid reservoirs look really cheap on the 2010 RT. The mounting looked flimsy to me, plus too high.

TPadden

Tom Padden
When I visited my local BMW dealer a few weeks ago, the manager told me that the new 2010 model RT needed a "BMW computer" to adjust the valves.......
Bad gouge ...... what he meant to say is the computer can now tell them when the valves NEED adjustment.

The gap can still be measured manually and the adjusting shim is in the rocker arm cup. Simply measure the gap, pull a cir-clip on the rocker, put a new shim in the cup, put the arm back on. Should take less time than to talk about it as long as you have the shim.

I haven't done it; only read the pictorial step-by-step (BMWRA OTL Jan/Feb 2010) :D.

Bike
ST1300/ABS
Bad gouge ...... what he meant to say is the computer can now tell them when the valves NEED adjustment.

The gap can still be measured manually and the adjusting shim is in the rocker arm cup. Simply measure the gap, pull a cir-clip on the rocker, put a new shim in the cup, put the arm back on. Should take less time than to talk about it as long as you have the shim.

I haven't done it; only read the pictorial step-by-step :D.
Thanks much for clearing that up. I may have to take a test ride on an RT .:grn11:

Bike
ST 1300

I haven't done it; only read the pictorial step-by-step (BMWRA OTL Jan/Feb 2010) :D.
Seriously? That sounds easy? Those guys over at BMW must be playing with that easy button again. Hope they used it on final drive improvements as well.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Save your pennies...or perhaps gold coins for the new 6 cylinder that's on it's way. That should be state of the sport touring art.

John
Although I wouldn't go all the way back to an air head (Simple by Choice) there is a certain appeal to a light, air/oil cooled twin. Get em while you can before Carb/ EU emissions makes them disappear :eek:: ........

Love my water cooled F800ST twin too .......

Bike
ST 1300
Is that 6 cylinder going to have self adjusting valves? That's what I want. Think of the money you could save over the life of the bike.

DAS

STOC #
Don't preach to me how good Honda is, my Honda left me without my Honda for over 3 months. Honda let me down in not having parts available. It can happen to ANY brand and I'm sure glad I happen to have another bike to ride during my ST down time (and it wasn't a Honda). I'm not bashing Honda, I'm just saying that every time you point a finger...
I'm definitely in the "buy it if you like it" camp. Anything that costs 5 times more than mine did and is 13 years newer is bound to be a sweet ride. But, I also have experienced the woos of too few dealers to help ya out. A month ago my brother had a front brake hose blow on his 04 LT. We (4 brothers) were 4 days into a 9 day trip, were at Devils' Tower when he noticed the problem. He finally decided to have the part delivered to Missoula (Denver or Sturgis were the other choices). So yes, that's 700 miles with no front brakes and we had to change trip plans a fair bit to make the repairs but that's what makes for a memorable trip with brothers. Below is a shot of finishing up the work. We installed the new hose and pulled all the plastic and gas tank because the shop didn't have time for the job except my brother was able to convince them to do the bleed job if we did everything else. And by the way, he's had 2 final drive failures so he packs a spare in his right saddle bag. Not bashing the brand mind you because after BMW brother was done bashing HD brother for problems early in the trip you know who had even bigger troubles. And then no one, not even Honda brother was say'n nuttin bout nuttin.

Bike
ST1300/ABS
Is that 6 cylinder going to have self adjusting valves? That's what I want. Think of the money you could save over the life of the bike.[/QUO

I agree. I dislike messing with valve adjustments. Riding in much more fun!:grn11:

Bike
GL1800
Although I wouldn't go all the way back to an air head (Simple by Choice) there is a certain appeal to a light, air/oil cooled twin. Get em while you can before Carb/ EU emissions makes them disappear :eek:: ........

Love my water cooled F800ST twin too .......
I know those ST bags are kinda small but would love to try to fit a pair of those on my 99 VFR too. Saw a picture somewhere on how to do it.

Top Bottom