NT1100 is it the new ST?

Bulitt

Flori-Duh-Man
Bike
1200GS, 18 Wing DCT
If you haven’t ridden one of the new smaller Goldwings, you should. They are amazingly nimble, fast and smooth tourers, and carry their weight low. I have a VFR12X too, but most days I walk right by it to get on the wing.

BB0C22BA-76FF-4C6B-AFAA-ED6686157C2C.jpeg
CEE2AA5F-0F12-46EC-B5C9-12C774B08A14.jpeg

Last edited:

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
Your GoldWing is beautiful! But as you pointed out they are lower and for me at 6'4" they are just too cramped. I went with a BMW K1600 GTL which gives me more height and an engine that sounds like an F1 car. I know, potatoes pototaes or something like that.

Getting back to the NT bike, I have to agree that no shaft would be a deal killer for me. Now if they could build an ST replacement out of the VFR1200 engine, THAT would be something I could get excited about. :run1:

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
With an ST1100 ABS/TCS and a CB500X ABS in the garage, I've got it covered. The CB (Catt Bike) can and will do it all, as demonstrated by the rental bike in Portugal a couple weeks ago. The ST? As always, when YOU absolutely, positively must be there overnight. :D

I've not ridden a new Wing yet, but it's on my far horizon. I'd be interested to hear more from previous ST Owners on their views of the Wing.

Last edited:

Bulitt

Flori-Duh-Man
Bike
1200GS, 18 Wing DCT
Your GoldWing is beautiful! But as you pointed out they are lower and for me at 6'4" they are just too cramped. I went with a BMW K1600 GTL which gives me more height and an engine that sounds like an F1 car. I know, potatoes pototaes or something like that.

Getting back to the NT bike, I have to agree that no shaft would be a deal killer for me. Now if they could build an ST replacement out of the VFR1200 engine, THAT would be something I could get excited about. :run1:
Why not just pick up a VFR12X? They are relatively cheap, tall enough, shaft, sport modes, traction control, DCT (if you prefer) and can be set up to tour pretty easily.

A0A94A83-7C31-4AA1-8A73-9264F22E2CC0.jpeg

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
One of the guys from Ireland on the NC forum test rode one. First non-magazine tester report I have read.

Here is his report:

I had a short test ride on the NT1100 today. It is a nice, refined motorcycle, well equipped, handles well, turns well, carries its weight well, accelerates well, has comfortable suspension and has good protection from screen and fairing. I rode it back to back with my 2016 Strom1000.

It is more refined than my Strom overall, and better equipped as standard. Will one displace my Strom ? Nope.

What did I not like ?

Overly complex switch gear and the need to carry the handbook at all times to figure it all out.

The motor is good but the Strom is stronger in the useable rev range.

The DCT system does not function as smoothly as it does on my 2017 X-Adv.

I am glad to have ridden it and I believe it should be a good seller for Honda over these parts. I didn't feel inspired by it though, and was as happy as ever blatting along on the backroads on my Strom on the way home.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
When a new bike comes out, I look at it like anyone else and drool. Then common sense sets in and I realize the new bike really doesn't do anything much better than my current ride does.

Cruise control???...nah. If it came with the bike, I'd take it obviously, but in my experience, I'd use it very seldom. I cross thousands of miles of empty roads crossing the plains between the Cascade Mountains and the Rockies...yet a $20 throttle lock has served me well. When I've ridden with others who have cruise control...it didn't do anything better.

More power? I already have more than some of the cars I've owned. How much is enough? More power probably equals less tire life. :D

Electronic gadgets? I already have a simple traction control and suspension adjustment. Do I really need a "rain mode" and "sport mode"?...that's what my right hand does.

My criteria when I looked for the bike I already have is:
  • Less than 1000 ccs.
  • Less than 500 lbs.
  • Full fairing.
  • No chain.
  • All day comfort.
The new NT doesn't fit that criteria, so it isn't an upgrade, but a way to pay more and get less. That's dumb to go down that road.

Chris

Bike
St1300PA
When a new bike comes out, I look at it like anyone else and drool. Then common sense sets in and I realize the new bike really doesn't do anything much better than my current ride does.

Cruise control???...nah. If it came with the bike, I'd take it obviously, but in my experience, I'd use it very seldom. I cross thousands of miles of empty roads crossing the plains between the Cascade Mountains and the Rockies...yet a $20 throttle lock has served me well. When I've ridden with others who have cruise control...it didn't do anything better.

More power? I already have more than some of the cars I've owned. How much is enough? More power probably equals less tire life. :D

Electronic gadgets? I already have a simple traction control and suspension adjustment. Do I really need a "rain mode" and "sport mode"?...that's what my right hand does.

My criteria when I looked for the bike I already have is:
  • Less than 1000 ccs.
  • Less than 500 lbs.
  • Full fairing.
  • No chain.
  • All day comfort.
The new NT doesn't fit that criteria, so it isn't an upgrade, but a way to pay more and get less. That's dumb to go down that road.

Chris
well said your a wise man, sometimes less is more

Bike
2014 CB1100DX
Hey Mr Bulitt ... love to have your VFR1200X. Almost bought 2017 Red one from dealer last year for $11K out the door, but wife interceded. Still one want a red one, so may sell my red ST1300 after the last summer ride. Enjoy :)

Bike
2009 ST1300
Time in and time out I have over the years considered buying something new (different). The hype reels me in, I do the calculations but before I go any further, I do one more thing. I get on my ST and ride. I pay attention to the experience and realize that everything I want is already there. As a bonus, it's paid off.

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
i have a pinched nerve and herniated disc in my neck so vibration is a bike killer for me. i don't want another wing or any other bike that weighs more than my ST 1100 / ST 1300

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Time in and time out I have over the years considered buying something new (different). The hype reels me in, I do the calculations but before I go any further, I do one more thing. I get on my ST and ride. I pay attention to the experience and realize that everything I want is already there. As a bonus, it's paid off.
I do something similar. I read about a bike and about how great it is. Then I look at what I've got and what minor incremental benefits the new bike will give me...then look at how much that'll cost me...and the lust for the new bike goes away.

I shortchanged all the other bikes like the ST1300 I might've gotten and stumbled onto the BMW F800GT, my "old man's bike". I say "old man's", only because it weighs only 470 lbs wet. If you have to move it in a parking spot, or pick it up from when it goes to sleep on its side, that lack of weight is wonderful. There's nothing "old man" about the performance of the bike.

Chris

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
I recently bought a new to me used 2020 BMW R1250 GS Adventure thinking that it would be easier to push around than my K1600. Compared to the K1600, it is easier to move around but it is still a heavy beast. It does however keep the smile factor high so I am happy with it yet I must learn to downsize weight at some point. I did look for a VFR1200X but couldn't find one locally and then stumbled on the BMW.

I just found a 2016 VF1200X in Melbourne, FL with 335 miles on for $11K... sounds like a steal. 2016 Honda® VFR1200X For Sale in Melbourne - Cycle Trader
Wish I would have seen that one earlier.

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Someone asked me a while back about the weight difference between an ST1300 and a VFR1200X, and I said it was only a few kg (1200X standard is 275kg, DCT is 285kg). This is because I looked up the ST's weight and it said 287kg, but I've realised that's the dry weight. The wet weight of an ST1300ABS is apparently 331kg.

So the 1200 is still a lump but it's 46-56kg lighter than the ST. The BMW R1250GSA is 63kg lighter.

As for the NT1100.... it's 238kg.... 93kg (205 lbs) lighter than the ST. Yikes!

Daboo's F800GT still wins at 213kg though.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I have the same problem as you. My old ST1100 is a smooth ride on the super slab at 85 mph. No engine noise and no vibration....sorta like an Acura automobile. These bikes with the one and two cylinders well I don't know. If Honda bought out a ST1100 exactly like my old 1100 except with fuel injection I would by it in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom