Are BMW's Overrated ?

Bike
2008 BMW GS Adv
This post is prefaced with the statement "there is no perfect motorcycle."

My good friend's 2009 GSA has had multiple electrical problems. The fuel gauge still does not work and BMW cannot repair it. The factory rep said BMW does not know what causes the problem and there is a huge number of BMW's with the same issue. BMW did offer to replace his 2009 with a 2010, but he has lots of $$$ in the farkle on his current bike. The rep also stated the 2010 might also have the same problem. I strongly suspect Honda would not make the same replacement offer.

Now the real question is why does my 1982 V45 have a well designed, self-cancelling turn signal switch and my :rd13: has a not well designed, not self-cancelling turn signal switch? :capwin:
With the new DOHC Boxer on the 2010's I would have jumped at the chance (farkles can be changed over), but I Will admit (not dissing your friend here) the offer to change it out seems dubious, but AMEN on the self canceling blinker.

Seems like I remember some discussion (many years ago and not on this forum) about horizontal engines having a propensity to use oil. Not sure of the reason. Perhaps windage (oil flying around in the crankcase) is hard to deal with on a horizontal cylinder. I think it was one of the old Goldwings that use to get a drip or two past the rings while it was parked on the sidestand and smoke after starting. Do BMWs do this?
My K75 had horizontal cylinders and smoked for a few seconds when first started up. It was worse if parked on the sidestand, but also did it when parked on the center stand. I was told oil seeped past the rings, into the combustion chamber. BMW pinned the rings on later models to eliminate the problem. Only I don't know if it eliminated, or reduced it. Stopped the complaints, tho.

FWIW, I never added a drop of oil between oil changes. That was a real sweet bike. :)

Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #
I'd have one switch for each thumb, push it to turn it on and push it again to cancel it. Actually, either switch would cancel either signal."

Thoughts? :cf1:
Which is why the Kisan Signalminder was my 1st BMW RT farkle. I disliked the system more each time I rode it. They started off nice with a left and right paddle, but then the designers turned it over to Rube Goldberg to add a 3rd switch, which was mounted in a weird place [for me]. The Kisan farkle fixed it so I never had to use that 3rd underside switch again. Plus the Kisan unit turned on the parking lamps so I had running lights, which brought my RT up to 1973 vehicle standards :rolleyes:

Oil? : mine burned it like a 2-stroke all the way up to 32K. Dealer told me not to worry: ONE quart per 1400 miles was within spec :confused:

Sigh. But I still miss that RT telelever front suspension.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Seems like I remember some discussion (many years ago and not on this forum) about horizontal engines having a propensity to use oil. Not sure of the reason. Perhaps windage (oil flying around in the crankcase) is hard to deal with on a horizontal cylinder. I think it was one of the old Goldwings that use to get a drip or two past the rings while it was parked on the sidestand and smoke after starting. Do BMWs do this?
Yes they do. Knowledgeable K bike owners (flying brick 1983 - 2005 K bikes) won't use the sidestand. R bikes aren't as bad for oil smoke out the left pipe after using the kickstand but the bigger air cooled R bikes do have a long history of pumping oil out the crankcase breather or main seal when those two big pistons move in and out. It is often diagosed as a main seal leak when the problem is a worn top end with enough blowby to pressurize the crankcase more than the breather can handle.

My manual for the 09 RT states 2 quarts per 1000 miles is acceptable, talk about a little breathing room :rolleyes:

My K bike did smoke on start-up especially when on the side stand so that was avoided.

cali_rider

Metric Bike Renegade
Yes they do. Knowledgeable K bike owners (flying brick 1983 - 2005 K bikes) won't use the sidestand. R bikes aren't as bad for oil smoke out the left pipe after using the kickstand but the bigger air cooled R bikes do have a long history of pumping oil out the crankcase breather or main seal when those two big pistons move in and out. It is often diagosed as a main seal leak when the problem is a worn top end with enough blowby to pressurize the crankcase more than the breather can handle.
Its pretty normal, a few drips seap past the rings. Its not enough to show any oil consumption but enough to blow some smoke on start up. However not all bikes do it for some reason. My current 02 RS doesnt, my 03 LT did and quite a bit at times. My GT and 99 RS didnt either. The weird part is sometimes it would do it alot or a little with no link to how long it was on its side stand. Usually it did it more when you around a crowd just for emabarisment.

cali_rider

Metric Bike Renegade
When I picked up my GSA from the dealer, she said "Ride it like you stole it". I did and have been ever since and my bike has never used a drop of oil, not even during break in.
My 05 R1200RT didnt seem to use any oil, that in the 7k miles or so i had it but my older 1100/1150 bikes would drink it like cool-aid.

cali_rider

Metric Bike Renegade
I respectfully disagree Bones, once you are used to the three switch signals, you wonder why everyone else isn't doing it, it just seems kind of normal.
ditto here. I love the BMW 3 turn signal method. I cant stand the standard jap turn signal method. I am pretty pissed that BMW sold out to the dumb magazine reviews on this one.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
ditto here. I love the BMW 3 turn signal method. I cant stand the standard jap turn signal method. I am pretty pissed that BMW sold out to the dumb magazine reviews on this one.
Maybe BMW cars will follow suit and soon we'll see the latest V10 M5 equipped with three (count 'em) turn signal stalks. Three is better than one, after all. :rolleyes:

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Maybe BMW cars will follow suit and soon we'll see the latest V10 M5 equipped with three (count 'em) turn signal stalks. Three is better than one, after all. :rolleyes:
I'm with Bones on the turn signals. Maybe the two of us just have more "highly developed" thumbs & brains? :D I'll stick to the Japanese way of operating my turn signals, thank you very much. I can think of other farkles that could use the switch space on the bars instead of tripling the amount of space needed to operate 2 turn signals?

I prefer my turnsignal switches to be on a motorcycle. Somewhere in reach - just so they are on a motorcycle.

If I could just find that ignition switch...

Bike
2008 BMW GS Adv
I prefer my turnsignal switches to be on a motorcycle. Somewhere in reach - just so they are on a motorcycle.

If I could just find that ignition switch...
Don't even get me started with the ST ignition position (or all the rest for that matter).

Bike
2008 BMW GS Adv
I'm with Bones on the turn signals. Maybe the two of us just have more "highly developed" thumbs & brains? :D I'll stick to the Japanese way of operating my turn signals, thank you very much. I can think of other farkles that could use the switch space on the bars instead of tripling the amount of space needed to operate 2 turn signals?
Speaking of buttons, get that ST starter button out of the way of my thumb, I keep trying to start the damn thing every time I turn right? :p:

cali_rider

Metric Bike Renegade
And the American way!
Not true. The harley uses a similar version to the BMW design. I guess any old asian bike could come with turn signals but only the germans and the americans could get it right. :p:

I must say the turn signals of my ST were really bad. It wouldnt have been so bad if they could shift the button closer to the thumb so I didnt have to lift my hand up and get my thumb over there when turning left. If you grip the edge of the button to turn and give it too much pressure you press the cancel button and the turn signal never comes on, very brilliant.... The BMW turn signal puts the buttons right there where your thumb already is naturally while on the grip. Ohhh, and if I forget to turn them off they cancel by themselves.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #
Not true. The harley uses a similar version to the BMW design. I guess any old asian bike could come with turn signals but only the germans and the americans could get it right. :p:

The BMW turn signal puts the buttons right there where your thumb already is naturally while on the grip. Ohhh, and if I forget to turn them off they cancel by themselves.
You must have a model where the signals cancel. My BMW RT did not [and neither did 3 other BMWs I rode]. Which is another reason why Kisan SignalMinder is a popular upgrade for BMW riders.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

I must say the turn signals of my ST were really bad.
Apparently only for you. Of all the things owners complain about this is the first time I have read or heard anyone mention "really bad turn signals".

I submit that position of your grip on the bars affects whether or not the thumb switch is easily manipulated. If you are used to the BMW switches low on the perches then the Honda one may have felt too high for you. You may likely favor a dropped wrist grip on the bars. On my old BMW model the standard-style turn signal switch is too low compared to the Honda for my straight wrist style of grip. I have to reach down and over for it but I am used to it and it isn't a big deal. If you had owned the ST1300 for long enough to log any miles and get used to it maybe the switch would have been "really good". :p:

Bike
2008 BMW GS Adv
You must have a model where the signals cancel. My BMW RT did not [and neither did 3 other BMWs I rode]. Which is another reason why Kisan SignalMinder is a popular upgrade for BMW riders.
I agree with cali_rider, and the blinkers on my 08 Adventure self cancel. The turn button on the ST wouldn't be so bad, but like he said, it positioning is awkward and especially difficult when you wear gloves.

Top Bottom