Had a mild stroke

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Just reading this now- so glad you’re better...you mentioned the left neck being 100% blocked (and I assume you mean the carotid artery was blocked- any recommendations (surgically) for re-opening it or just meds at this point? Was it lifestyle related (blood pressure, diabetes, tobacco, elevated cholesterol)? I assume they have you on anticoagulants or Plavix, no? Hope this is one and done. Ride safely...

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Glad you made it through ok. Get that other side taken care of either with thinners or a stint. 50% blockage might be ok, but you have no backup if the other side decides to go South on you!

OP
OP

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Just reading this now- so glad you’re better...you mentioned the left neck being 100% blocked (and I assume you mean the carotid artery was blocked- any recommendations (surgically) for re-opening it or just meds at this point? Was it lifestyle related (blood pressure, diabetes, tobacco, elevated cholesterol)? I assume they have you on anticoagulants or Plavix, no? Hope this is one and done. Ride safely...
Yes the carotid artery.
Diabetes, yes. Working on eating much better. Really suck! Can’t have this and that. Wasn’t doing a very good job of that before.
Blood pressure, yes. Been on medication since my late 20’s. Run in both side of my family.
Smoking, yes. Not any more.
Cholesterol, not before. I never had a problem. Will be checking it much more often now.
I get check a couple time a year for everything.
A couple of the doctors told me it would be better to leave the left side alone. My cardiologist said the same thing. I should do just fine with just the right side. There is to much risk trying to clear out the left. It could go good. But could go bad. I take my chance! I like being back to where I am! Don’t want to be a vegetable or dead.
Plavix and Lipitor are what they put me on.

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
A sobering read. Glad you (or Tammi) spotted the signs and ACTED. And glad you persist in riding. Celebrate every day.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I know exercise is a dirty word, and I hate it myself, but the least objectionable exercise I've seen is a recumbent exercise bike. They aren't expensive. I inherited mine from my frugal father who lived to age 90. They recommend a minimum of 75 minutes of vigorous exercise a week. Vigorous , in my case, is defined as a heart rate over 110. There is a formula out there that is easy to find on the internet. I'm doing 30 minutes every other day. I try to do it at 6:30 during the news. If I have trouble getting my heart rate into the 130s I watch/listen to music with headphones on from my u-tube music channel. LOUD. I tried doing it every day, but it hurt my knees.

Everybody is different, so this may or may not work for you, but this is the only aerobic exercise I've been able to consistently do. I hope you find something that works for you.

My next step is to develop the will power stop those afternoon Dairy Queen runs with the dog...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I typically get up at 4:30am, have some coffee and waffles. Then, 50+ mins on the elliptical, however long until it says I hit 300 calories. I know it's not accurate but it's still around 55 mins and it's far from an easy workout. I try to do that 4-5 times a week. Also, have a bowflex I bought 25 years ago to stop paying for going to a gym and I'll hit that 3 times a week if I'm lucky. I think as we get older, heart-related exercise is more important than strength training... doesn't mean you don't do any strength training.. just means your heart should be the most important. Can you drop and do 50 push ups? If not, start at 10 a day... for a week or month.. then 15... 20, etc...

As for diet... well, I don't care for that word, as it implies 'temporary'... you should make changes that are smart and moderate and stick with them. Learn to associate bad things to that slice of pie vs how good it tastes... consider how much you have to work out to offset it, how much damage it's doing because it has no redeemable value... etc.

Food... should be your number 1 concern.
Cut out fried stuff... stop adding salt to things before you even taste them... heck, don't even use salt at all... I think I have a salt shaker somewhere but the salt is probably concrete-like by now.
Learn to count calories... loosing weight isn't magic... there are some health scenarios where that doesn't work but it's more common that it will work for you. Learn to read serving sizes...

As we get older.... I think we feel like we deserve to do what we want and feel like we've paid our dues so why have to be so restricted... but, it's just the opposite, we have to be more diligent than we have our whole lives.

I'm not perfect at all... I'll get ice cream or something bad from time to time but it's rare, maybe once a month.. maybe.. some do that every week or day... that adds up, slowly, but it adds up.

That's how I view things as I get into my mid 50's and hope to keep it going into my 60's, 70's and beyond. Hopefully, this helps some, this isn't pointed at Keith specifically, it's just my views on thing as I myself get older. And, yeah.... I probably drink enough in a year that many here spill on the floor... lol

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Keith... so glad you both took quick enough action that you're still here!!! If we need to fly you into NEWSTOC this year, let us know... we'll take a collection and you're loved enough that we'll be able to afford first class.
(it will still be a coach ticket, we'll use the rest for healthy snacks!)

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yikes! Hang in there and get that treatment you'll need!

Sucks getting old, but sure beats the alternative! :old1:

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Keith,
Just saw this! So glad it wasn't worse. Like the others have said...do what the docs tell you but certainly live your life. You can also start with some better diet options as well as hard as that is but it beats the alternative.

Be well,
Skip

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Also remember it wasn't a mild stroke - it was a stroke. The results were luckily mild, but could have just as easily been serious or worse.

It's like being a little dead, there's no such thing.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad you found it before it killed you. Your big concern going forward will probably be blood clots but hopefully the Plavix will keep them at bay. I'm on Eliquis - the 'Lexus' blood thinner (you can rent a Lexus for what it costs a month ;)) and a baby aspirin. The thing with blood thinners is you will still clot, but it just takes a lot longer. I would recommend keeping a small jar of Vaseline handy which will help stop the bleeding if you apply it a cut or abrasion.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
four years ago had large blockage in left and right carotid. put a stint in the left. two years later stint was blocking off again. had stint roto rooted and decided something had to change. went to a plant based (trying for no saturated or trans fats) diet. in about 8 months lost around 60 lbs . checkups are showing a slow improvement on blockage. i dont worry about sugars, callories, just no fat. at 69 years i do not have not take blood thinners, or blood pressure meds. hope you find a solution that works for you.

The Cheese

Glad to hear that it wasn't worse. Goes to show cutting the grass is more dangerous than most think.

Top Bottom