Motorcycle Larry ST1300 seat raising brackets

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I wonder if anybody would be interested in these. I might be talked into making a couple of sets, it was kind of fun. I have plenty of Delrin left and I'm looking into getting a sheet of aluminum at the moment.

Yes, no?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I have plenty of Delrin left and I'm looking into getting a sheet of aluminum at the moment.
Given the property of delrin vs poly I used you may not need to go aluminum. I'd ride it for awhile and see if it starts flexing before buying the aluminum, I'm guessing it won't... but I'm not putting money on it. ;)

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Given the property of delrin vs poly I used you may not need to go aluminum. I'd ride it for awhile and see if it starts flexing before buying the aluminum, I'm guessing it won't... but I'm not putting money on it. ;)
I actually tend to agree with you. Delrin is some really tough stuff, that's why they use it on frame sliders and such.

Last edited:

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Depending on cost, I might be interested in a set Whooshka.

Pete
OK cool. I'm going to make a couple of sets and offer them up. I have no idea what to charge, I basically already have the materials but now I'll need to track how long it takes me to make a set. I'm not looking to get rich but I also don't want to make 35 cents per hour. :D It will probably be in the $40 range, give or take.

Keep in mind I don't have a professional CNC machine or any formal production facilities. I have a drill press and scroll saw. They won't be pretty but they'll work, and they are under the seat so they don't need to be blingy. I'll post pics probably next week. I'm taking the wife for an overnighter on the bike this weekend. :thumb:

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
OK cool. I'm going to make a couple of sets and offer them up. I have no idea what to charge, I basically already have the materials but now I'll need to track how long it takes me to make a set. I'm not looking to get rich but I also don't want to make 35 cents per hour. :D It will probably be in the $40 range, give or take.

Keep in mind I don't have a professional CNC machine or any formal production facilities. I have a drill press and scroll saw. They won't be pretty but they'll work, and they are under the seat so they don't need to be blingy. I'll post pics probably next week. I'm taking the wife for an overnighter on the bike this weekend. :thumb:
$40 - works for me - lemme know when and we can settle-up by PM.

Pete

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I asked RDL 2 times, at 2 different adjustments to stop my slide forward issue and It's still happening. A big negative with RDL for me ,is being so far away. I have no doubt they "CAN" make a quality, durable, comfortable seat , but mine isn't one of them.
Whooska.....what a good idea making your own risers and using what works for you. I think I'll experiment myself. Sliding forward all the time is a literal pain in the butt!
I've seen the term "MCL risers" but never really knew what they were. Is the main purpose of the risers to help our "long legged riders" because the high position of the seat isn't high enough? OR are they for leveling out and raising the front section of the seat for better comfort?
Can someone explain this to me?

Last edited:
Bike
2005 st1300
I asked RDL 2 times, at 2 different adjustments to stop my slide forward issue and It's still happening. A big negative with RDL for me ,is being so far away. I have no doubt they "CAN" make a quality, durable, comfortable seat , but mine isn't one of them.
Whooska.....what a good idea making your own risers and using what works for you. I think I'll experiment myself. Sliding forward all the time is a literal pain in the butt!
I've seen the term "MCL risers" but never really knew what they were. Is the main purpose of the risers to help our "long legged riders" because the high position of the seat isn't high enough? OR are they for leveling out and raising the front section of the seat for better comfort?
I raise the front of the seat to the highest adjustment level and leave the rear in the middle to level out the seat and stop the forward slide with any seat, including my RDL. I have long legs so the highest is best to stop leg and hip cramping. shorter legged riders could run the rear at the lowest and still run the front in the middle to level out the seat.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Is the main purpose of the risers to help our "long legged riders" because the high position of the seat isn't high enough? OR are they for leveling out and raising the front section of the seat for better comfort?
As far as I remember their main purpose was to change the angle of the seat by raising the front to reduce the tendency to slide forward. Increased legroom was a side benefit for those who desired it or a curse for those who have shorter inseams.

Have a gander at these threads;
ST1300 Seat Adjust.
Review of MCL seat riser brackets.
Motorcycle Larry ST1300 seat raising brackets.

Last edited:

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
The purpose, or should I say my intention for me at least, was just to raise the nose of the seat to level it a little and eliminate the forward slide into the tank.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I read through this old thread and didn't realize that I had posted here also.

I never did try a set of risers, I forgot all about them actually, until yesterday when I went to lift my seat. :) I went from a stock seat , to an RDL to a slightly modified stock seat. (owner said he got it like that as a spare seat and was unaware that it was modified from stock)

I went for a 60min ride on a gorgeous sunny day and didn't realize how comfortable I was until I got home. My crotch wasn't being jammed into the front of the seat, I used my highway pegs with no apparent discomfort and I didn't remember squirming around as much as usual as I rode. After I got home I wanted to check and see where the seat was set at (I had been experimenting with high and middle) and the seat came up real easy in the front at first? I realized that the seat was riding on top of the height bar and not captured normally by the seat. Then the bells went off as I remembered this forum talking about installing risers. Guess what I'm going to do over the cold snowy winter?

I think a 2" rise is too much and 1" may not be enough, I'll figure out a new height and give it a try. I'm thinking 1.5" but will try and measure the difference in height with my seat in those two positions. (Middle setting tucked in properly up front and the middle sitting on top of the front bar adjuster.)

By having a quick look at the height adjuster, I'll have to maintain the distance from the front bar to the rear seat loop if I want to stay in the middle position front and back. I think this is best and it won't strain the seat frame. If I mimic the front bar height guides horizontal measurement from the back seat loops, I should be able to also use the low seat position front and back with the added height up front.
I have a 32" inseam and can even use the high setting since my "supposed" stock seat was modified from the previous owner to my delight! :) Seems like it was Spencerized possibly as it does sit more flat and lower than stock.

I'm probably going to use either Aluminum, Hardwood or UHMW. What ever I can get my hands on first. Looks like an easy pattern to copy.

I took a few pics of the seat in both positions and even the high seat position.

To be continued....

Attachments

Bike
2007 ST1300
I made a Maguiver bracket that raises my seat 20mm, just enough to level out my Corbin seat so I am not angled forward. The Corbin is a tractor style seat, and it makes a huge difference to be sitting on it in a level position. Any more than say 1 inch total and I wouldn’t be able to get my toes down on the ground (32 inch inseam). I tried a few heights before settling on 20 mm.

Bike
2005 st1300
The Corbin is a tractor style seat, and it makes a huge difference to be sitting on it in a level position.
Yes, except tractor seats are generally softer...
I have a corbin and I did exactly the same mod to the bracket and yes it leveled it out perfect and would recommend this adjustment. Unfortunately the seat is too hard, so it sits on a shelf collecting dust

Top Bottom