Oil filter recommendations

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Personally, I use WIX 57356 XP. Exact same filter for the bike. But it is an inch or so longer. So more filtration media. Plus the filter media is synthetic versus paper cellulose that is in the standard issue WIX filter for the bike. Look up the specs. on WIX wed site. Plus what all the 57356 XP filter fit. If it is specd. for a Honda Accord V/6 for 10k miles? Then is sure ought to be ok for the ST? If you're going to use synthetic lubricants? Why not use synthetic media filtration products?
I have no affiliation with WIX.
Nice filter.755E1E1E-BC8A-44AE-B38E-2562BE808163.jpeg4F18AC80-58E9-40F9-AE40-2B7FD552CEA6.gif5AE7D388-91A1-4AB3-A6AC-81A9A2B35F17.gif

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
If you're going to use synthetic lubricants? Why not use synthetic media filtration products?
Because it’s not necessary and costs more. Synthetic oil filter filtration is just made with synthetic fibres and can be used with any oil.
I’ve never had an issue with using basic aftermarket oil filters and change my oil at reasonable intervals.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Because it’s not necessary and costs more. Synthetic oil filter filtration is just made with synthetic fibres and can be used with any oil.
I’ve never had an issue with using basic aftermarket oil filters and change my oil at reasonable intervals.
You probably will never have an issue using a basic aftermarket filter. For all of us regardless of the filter we use the concern should be quality control. I’m inclined to think that higher priced well respected brands have better quality control. I’m sure we have all seen the videos of cheap filters being made in the thousands in the back streets of some third world city. I don’t want one of those on my bike.

just changed mine yesterday, went with the K & N 204-1. Not having a lift table reduces the simplicity of the process, that filter is
buried way in there. The K&N has a 17MM nut fixture on the back making removal with a socket wrench a BREEZE!!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Keep an eye on your K&N as they have had a few recalls, and have a habit of puking out oil when your spot welded nut let’s loose.
K&N does not make them, they are highflow filtro filters that they rebrand with K&N on them.

Last edited:
When I was doing fleet maintenance I did filter research, granted this was many years ago so the filter quality has changed since then. But the requirement haven't
The main comparisons that the engine manufactures looked at was element size by square inches, micron filtering size and sediment capacity.
With todays closed engine systems sediment capacity is not significant, the micron filtration is pretty much standard from major filter and engine manufacturers and meets the engine supplier. The amount of media has never been an issue with proper maintained engines.
The only real failure that I ran into with major manufacturers was filters that had contaminants in the box before installation. Some of the filters had the media folded over where the ends met, some used a strip of glue to seal the media together. they both work well. The size of the spring at the bottom is only used when the media can't pass enough oil to supply lube to the engine and lets unfiltered bypass oil in hopes that it saves it. Which is why it is called a bypass spring.
The engine manufacturer all wanted you to use their filter. They all were fine as well as most of the after market filters. (As in the really cheap ones. I did have Mighty try to sell me ones and almost ran them out with a blunt object)
All filters let a small micron oil pass through as the engine manufacturers deem the size isn't detrimental to the engine. To fine of an element will plug the filter earlier than others, but most filters have enough sediment capacity to be ok
So with all things considered if you use a major name with a quality oil chances are fairly high that you will be fine no matter what is used.
That said I am not a fan of reusable filter because of the chance of contaminates introduced into the system by the cleaning process.

AND FOR GODS SAKE, NEVER USE TOILET PAPER FILTERS. (I said that as a joke as using them would be a joke)

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Years ago British Leyland had a bunch of vehicles come off the assembly line with swarf in their oil filters. They didn’t make great cars but I’m still sorry they went out of business eventually, which was nothing to do with the relatively small oil filter incident.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Who makes your oil filters? Purflux and Goodwill are also made in India, as is Fram.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
One thing I noticed with all these comments, that folks may be missing, is all these things change often every time a new contract comes up.
Folks should open up the box and look into the filter to verify that is is STILL the filter they think they are using.
Champion labs makes several filters for many companies etc.
I’ve notice that Bosch, Mobil 1, super tech, purolator, and many other filters change often.
So while you may think your using the same filter as last time, your brand loyalty could surprise you when you find out things changed.
When Fram took over the HD Premium $20 dollar filters, quality went in the toilet!
This is a filter with only a few hundred miles on it, using their synthetic oil.

Attachments

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
One thing I noticed with all these comments, that folks may be missing, is all these things change often every time a new contract comes up.
Folks should open up the box and look into the filter to verify that is is STILL the filter they think they are using.
I’ve notice that Bosch, Mobil 1, super tech, purolator, and many other filters change often.
So while you may think your using the same filter as last time, your brand loyalty could surprise you when you find out things changed.
When Fram took over the HD Premium $20 dollar filters, quality went in the toilet!
This is a filter with only a few hundred miles on it, using their synthetic oil.
One of the reasons I like Baldwin. They make their own filters right here in the USA, and they have been doing it for a long time. I have seen a few comparisons and the Baldwins had the features of the "premium" filters but at a regular filter price. If you've never heard of them they are Fleet/Industrial suppliers, but they do automotive as well. I get mine from adiesel.com as they are close and prices are good. No affiliation just a customer.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Just checked out the Baldwin site, very well done, lots of information, and cross reference info, as well as specs.
I just don't think I would use a RED filter on my bike :rofl1:

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
years ago dodge and cummins would refuse engine warranty if you used fram filters, i dont know if its still true but i only use fleetguard on my dodge which is owned by cummins,

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Baldwin B1402 compatible with HONDA 15400-PLM-A02. Looks good. Significantly better made than the Honda filter.

6572D3F6-1390-4460-813E-A49CC2E2F6B2.jpeg193D8208-5BDF-484A-A1E3-6BD55097A2FA.jpegB938B3D0-BAD5-4244-BC7F-06D293FD0259.jpegECED6D0E-4488-42FD-95F6-F7581CF86DAC.jpeg65967807-1F0C-4136-A2A3-975D450BACB1.jpeg5F083B3F-4959-489E-ADBE-0C8C2B97327B.jpeg

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Honda is heavily committed to the quality process and requires vendors to meet ISO standards which are going to require extensive tracking and reporting of deviations from benchmarks set by Honda. Getting ISO certification is not easy and it's easy to loose it without adherence to rigid data tracking & reporting requirements. Even before contracts are awarded Honda will have associates visiting a prospective vendor's manufacturing facilities and may be posted there long term after contracts are awarded. No matter where a vendor manufactures the OEM part(s) it will meet Honda’s approvals. There’s a couple backstops downstream. Honda single sources OEM parts to dealers so dealers can only get certified OEM from Honda through the Honda parts order system. Getting counterfeit OEM from Honda would be extremely difficult. If a dealership’s filter orders don’t match up with expectations based on historical data and observations made by the regional Honda reps that regularly visit dealers then someone should begin asking questions. I don’t remember the guy’s department title but when I was a dealership parts manager ordering daily in the Honda order system this guy would call from time to time mostly because they wanted us to sell more of the Honda brand oil products sold in quart/gallons. The dealership chose to buy service department oil by the 55 gallon drum from Honda but most every dealer will sell competing oils that on the parts department shelves and we were no different. Bel-Ray, Motul, Motorex. Customers want an alternative to Honda branded oil. Point being Mother Honda was watching of course that Honda OEM parts and Honda branded oil was at least being featured in the store but also for a reason perhaps not readily apparent. It wasn’t just revenue or greed. To circle back to Honda’s obsession with the quality process, customer and dealer complaints about Honda products are extremely important to the process of continuous quality improvement and this feedback is essential to Honda maintaining and improving quality. If dealers aren’t selling OEM parts there is less product data feedback to the quality improvement process.

It might seem that I am the ultimate Honda OEM filter fanboy but I assure you that isn't the case. I'm mostly motivated by claims marked by a complete absence of objective data that Honda OEM is crap. Opinions backed up with no data. It's true I mostly use Honda oil filters on my Honda bikes but I had a long run with Bosch. In the cars I've owned since I started driving in 1973 I am not nearly as discriminating. In the last 15 years several of our Hondas went over 200,000 miles using a variety of filter brands.

Oil related failures due to filter choice are so rare as to be statistically never as long as the oil is a name brand, meets manufacturers' recommendation and changed when called for. I've owned a surprising number of vehicles whose engines did not even have oil filters.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
“It might seem that I am the ultimate Honda OEM filter fanboy but I assure you that isn't the case.”

No, :rofl1:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Which is exactly why I wrote that
I can't be bothered researching what alternate filter is a good choice and that as a result I just use the Honda filter. This is not because I think that it is a superior filter to all others, just that I can't be bothered investing the time to find out about other filters.
It is just not worth the time required to make sure that what I intend to buy is, or still is, a good alternative every time that I want to buy oil filters. Whether or not the Honda filter is the best on the market is not relevant to me. What is relevant to me is that I have confidence that the Honda filter does meet all of Honda's requirements. Further to that, I can have this confidence every time that I buy the Honda filter, regardless of who is making it for them at the moment, without having to research it every time. For those who do wish to do this research, more power to you. For me, it is just not worth the investment in time. The decision to go with the Honda filter is an easy one that I make with no worries that my engine will suffer any harm because of it.

Besides, it was very liberating when I adopted this practice. It freed up all kinds of research time that I could use for far more important issues, like what oil and what moly paste I should use.

Top Bottom