Show me your Top Box!

'Cross winds' springs to mind.
They were on my mind during the design and build stages, but I went ahead thinking the profile is smaller than a pillion, the COG is lower than a pillion, and it should carry more than my usual pillion would :).
I was pleased to find, in my opinion, that the airflow past the fairing then my body, causes the sidewind to be deflected sufficiently. The box is narrower than my torso and well below my shoulders as you can see in the pix a few post above.
I've done a 3,000 Klm trip, as well as several shorter runs with it and have absolutely no concerns about sidewinds at all .... very happy with it in that regard.

Being my first attempt at fibreglass construction, the finish isn't great, but I'm OK with that ... 'coz it works and it's super strong:wt1:

cheers

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
I have an 05 Dk red St1300and want to get a Top Box and Im concerned with size. This is an ago old question, Does Size matter? Is the Givi 52 two big and bulky looking on the back or should you stick with something smaller. I think they offer a 46 or 48. I dont' really plan on packing alot of junck but I do understand the more storage capability may be needed sometimes. Basically I want to know which looks more suited for the bike.

I have an 05 Dk red St1300and want to get a Top Box and Im concerned with size. This is an ago old question, Does Size matter? Is the Givi 52 two big and bulky looking on the back or should you stick with something smaller. I think they offer a 46 or 48. I dont' really plan on packing alot of junck but I do understand the more storage capability may be needed sometimes. Basically I want to know which looks more suited for the bike.
All those sizes are more or less the same size externally and visually. They may be half an inch off from one another. The ST is a big bike, they won't look out of place.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have the Bestem 2012 t-box and find that's plenty big enough for what I need to carry. Every big once in a while I end up with something that is just way too big, even for a 55 liter case, so that ends up on the back seat. But 99% of what I carry in a top case goes in my 42 liter 2012 t-box.

See my thread HERE for an idea of what will fit in it. The PDF document may take a little while to load so be patient. I usually pack my Givi top case liner (kept from a previous bike) with all my clothes and some other stuff when I go camping and that fits in there perfectly.

Also, to get an idea what this case looks like on your bike do a google.com search for the Bestem 2012 and they show the ST1300 with that case installed.

Bike
2016 VFR1200X

Here's mine (in front)... came with the bike when I bought it last year. Installed a GIVI brake light kit
in it this winter (got it cheap on eBay).

My friend got the flat black model (slightly smaller one).

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I just purchased a GIVI V46 and am happy I did... I've owned enough BMW's and Honda bikes with top cases and the GIVI is as good or better than any of them for 1/2 the price. Mine matches my gloss black 2010 perfectly. I would'nt go any bigger...or smaller. Next...the light kit. The array of lights on this case is next to none which the Honda case has none. Even if you did'nt hook up the lights... the amount of capable light's has a very good reflectivity in it self. It's easy to attach. My handle is Neumsky for pics. Believe me... I can afford the more expensive top cases! There was an earlier post about the GIVI eating up two more inches of seat space... My wife is 170 lbs and says with all of the other motorcycles including a 1800 goldwing(it's not the goldwing), it's as good. I've paid the 700.00 for top cases in the past. One push button removable. 295.00 for the case and 85.00 for the attachment bracket. I think it's 59.00 for the light's hookup kit. Inside, is very nice retension straps. Good job GIVI!

Attachments

Bike
2002 ST1100
The BESTEM T box is great. I was going to mount my box today but cannot find the instructions. Sure would be grateful to anyone that can scan a copy. I think it will be great too for passengers. I'll post a picture once it gets mounted :04biker:
I just got a Bestem T-box. I like the quality. I am making a mount for my 1100 now. 1/8' steel 10"x10" plate and bushings. I would upload the instructions, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to upload a photo. It asks for a URL HTTP:\ I don't know what to put there...

Attachments

Woodchuck

(Lyle)
Bike
2018 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I have the Givi v45 in gloss black,its the way to go I think. The box cleans up better. It doesn't look like you cheaped out. Just my two cents.
Lyle

Bike
2002 ST1100
Here is my Bestem 2012. Not an exact match to the color of my 2002 wineberry ST1100 but close enough for me. I made a template from foam core board then transferred it onto a 10"x10" x 1/8" steel plate. I then drilled and chamferred the holes. I even drilled holes for bunjee cord hooks. I primered and painted it. Had to make bushings out of 3/8 id x 5/8 od VOM. THE METAL WAS $15. I had to turn the ends of the bushings so they would fit into the recessed area of the passenger grips. I did this by puttint one on a 5/16" bolt, chucked it in a vice then used my grinder to taper it. The grinder spun the bushing so it was round. I then primed and painted all gloss black. I cut the 2 brackets to fit in between the piece I made and the piece Bestem supplied. Bolted it down and it is sturdy as can be.

Bike
ST 1100
url=http://fodi.frubar.net/files/72E92D4D-4960-584B-97C4-9774F86C8F0D.jpg]
[/url]

(Powered by frubar.net)

(Powered by frubar.net)
Hello! My new top box,Hepco 40 liters,ready for hollyday trip!

2002 ST1100 with HONDA OEM top Box
Hi all members i ride a 2000 Model i am after 2 locks for the top box the same as in the photo and allso if any one know ,s where i can buy a new or second hand rear shockey it has an after market on now but its upside down i live in Albury Australia if you know where i can get another one but it must be for Honda 1100 Model a New one they want $700 for a new one WOW Please let me know many Thanks .??

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Hi all members i ride a 2000 Model i am after 2 locks for the top box the same as in the photo and allso if any one know ,s where i can buy a new or second hand rear shockey it has an after market on now but its upside down i live in Albury Australia if you know where i can get another one but it must be for Honda 1100 Model a New one they want $700 for a new one WOW Please let me know many Thanks .??
Info on lock replacement can be found on the ST-Riders.net site. You may want to join that site too as there is a good bit of ST1100 info there. The "Archives of Wisdom" alone is priceless!

There are some aftermarket shocks that mount opposite of the original. Check with the shock mfg to see if yours is correct. You may want to see if your current shock is rebuildable. Many AM shocks are.

I personally would NOT purchase an OEM shock (used OR new) as there are aftermarket units available for less than OEM that perform much better.

Top Bottom