Test rode a 2010 RT today

Every time I even start to get remotely serious about considering an RT, I read a post like this one. I then realize between my ST and FJR, I've gotten about 125,000 miles without a visit to a dealer for any warranty work except a thermostat on the ST. And I've enjoyed the rides, so why should I want to walk away from Hondakawayamazuki? ;)

JDP

Well, how about this then, to sway you in the opposite direction:

I have well over 135,000 miles on my RTs and have had very few problems with them. As with all things mechanical, things break. With my RTs, none of which left me stranded or unhappy with the bike. Or that left me without the use of my bike, as I commute on my BMWs day in and day out. To be honest, the only bike that left me high and dry was my ST1300, which was in the dealer's for over two weeks trying to solve the dreaded coolant leak. But I could still ride it if I could get past the smell of antifreeze. I think that is the Achille's Heel of the ST... the cooling system/thermostat. Not major, but an irritant. Hopefully whatever Honda has planned in the Interceptor based tourer will have remedied this.

As to the new 2010 RT, I have not ridden it yet, but have seen them in the flesh and they are a nice upgrade. I am pretty much going to ride the wheels off of my current one, which I just paid off this past Friday (woo hoo!). After 45,000 miles, it is still humming along nicely.

<snip> .......

I am pretty much going to ride the wheels off of my current one, which I just paid off this past Friday (woo hoo!). After 45,000 miles, it is still humming along nicely.

LOL, I almost want to start a pool on when your final drive is going to go. :D

LOL, I almost want to start a pool on when your final drive is going to go. :D

Don't get me started. When Honda came out with the new Goldwing, the
GL1800, they had some serious issues. Lets see, they needed to fix the frame due to cracks and breakage, and then the stupid design of the radiator fan flow direction. Honda isn't perfect, I got rid of my GL1800 because of the overheating issues, I had to completely stop on the side of the road to let the thing cool down on too many occasions. I haven't checked, but Mellow has told me that Honda did make the radiator larger so hopefully it isn't an issue any more.

My ST1300 WAS IN THE SHOP FOR 3 LONG MONTHS! Talk about being let down by Honda. All I needed were some minor parts to get it fixed, get what, an OIL LEAK.

Things break down, new designs aren't always better, just perfected with time. How long as the ST1300 been around now, how many changes have you seen to luer more riders?

Things break down, new designs aren't always better, just perfected with time. How long has the ST1300 been around now, how many changes have you seen to lure more riders?

As hojo noted, this is the ST's drawback right now.

After 2 years, I really like my ST. Compared to my RT, it has superior build quality, engineering and performance of major components: engine, clutch, shaft drive. And it has already proven itself bulletproof compared to the major failures of my RT.

But the ST stands still while BMW and Kawasaki, even Yamaha make model changes to bring in buyers, generate excitement, and maybe even improve the product.

Here's wishing that Honda comes out with an update sometime.

Update:

I bought a loaded Polar metallic RT last week. I immediately went out and put nearly 600 miles on it the following day, and felt like I could have easily ridden another 600.

The handling of this bike continues to amaze me. It is so flickable and stable in the corners compared to my ST, and I find myself carrying noticebly more speed. I had a good friend along with me riding his FJR, and typically we are evenly matched through tthe corners. However, with the RT I put a good deal of distance on him, and the tighter the corners, the more that distance increased.

On the highway, the RT's superior wind protection makes a noticeable difference in comfort, and the cruise control is a VERY appreciated option, as is the stereo.

Very pleased with the move to the RT, and will post pics soon.

congratulations judge, look forward to hearing from you in the coming riding season about how you are enjoying it and any issues or lack thereof.

Congratulations! I have a friend that has an RT, he has had it for years. To my surprise he ended up getting an ST and you know what he said to me "how come you didn't tell me the ST doesn't have a spirt!" Now granted, he has been on the RT for years and may be a bit biased, but I know this guy can ride, and he feels the RT handles the twisties a lot better and with more spirit. I know your gonna have fun.

Congrats on the new RT, wishing you many happy miles.
I got to demo a 2010 RT last Saturday. I concur with your views of the RT. What impressed me the most was it was rock solid/planted at very high speeds and in the curves. The new motor definately has more power than the previous, but still not the ST1300 V4. I also like the redesigned windscreen. I don't care about the radio as I would bring along my Autocom from my ST13.

I didn't get to play with the ESA, as I couldn't easily see the display because my blindingly bright green jacket reflected off the gauge pods, but the bike rode fine at whatever setting it was on.

I found the motor is still a little buzzy, but no where near as much as a 1150RT. I found the buzz level now completely acceptable and not annoying, just different. I did have to downshift more often than I would on my ST1300 on hills when needed to build speed.

One issue of concern: I have long legs (6'3"tall) and I felt like my knees were bent too much for a long distance ride. When I first sat on it I was surprized at how high the pegs were. The seat was adjusted all the way up. Maybe I'd get accustomed, but with my history of knee injuries/surgeries...I'd have to demo for a much longer distance before I'd decide to buy.

I ride with guys on: R1100rt, r1150rt, r1200rt, k1200lt, k1300gt and an assortment of Harleys. None of them has had any FD or any other major problems at all.

Dealers: The BMW dealer was north about 40 miles away, an area of NJ with very heavy traffic. They have an absolute stellar reputation. There used to be a dealer south of me about 30 miles, but they closed up last november.

HONDA DEALER advantage: When I bought my 07 ST1300abs the two biggest factors were price and proximity of dealership. The Honda dealer was about 4 blocks away and a good friend was a part owner and the service manager. Only he worked on my bike. Well, last year they went out of business. Next closest Honda dealer was about 20 or so miles away...good dealer..sold alot of ST1300s so they should be familiar for servicing....they went out of business too! Now the closest Honda dealer is about 30 miles away...reputation unknown AND they don't have a single ST1300 on the floor. They also sell yamaha and push the FJR of which they have several on the floor. Not a good feeling there, but nice enough people. MY best option now for a Honda dealer is north about 40 miles away. Great reputation, just like the BMW dealer...possibly because they are right next door to and owned by the same owners of the BMW dealership! So, at least if you live in Central NJ, I think the dealership proximity issue is a draw. On a trip, on a Honda, I'd be more concerned about the quality of the service at a dealer. On the BMW it would be finding a dealer.

All said, IF I was repacing my St in the next year or two I'd be looking for an RT too. But a slightly used one at a better price than new.

Haven't found pie yet.

Congrats... I'm sure you'll love it, sounds like you already do... the gearing on those are just great.. you don't have to shift as much during the twisties and that helps a ton.

My BMW dealer friend has got an RT as a demo. I haven't seen it, but apparently there is one color that is abosolutely horrid and this one has it. He says he will probably not be able to sell it. I smell an opportunity here in the fall!! He will probably take it on our MotoGP ride and I will get a chance to ride it then. Looking forward to it.
Rod

My guess is that the "horrid" color is the new semi-flat brownish gray color. I guess this becuase the other colors are all pretty standard, a dark gray (Thundar gray), a silver (polar), and a three tone gray combo. I've never been a fan of the trend of semi-flat/flat paints on motorcycles and hot rods, but I have to say the semi-flat brownish gray on the 2010 Rt looks pretty nice to me. Still conservative, still classy. But my fav BMW color by far is the Baritz Blue (not a 2010 RT color).

2010-bmw-r-1200-rt-revealed-photo-gallery-included-medium_13.jpg

Update:

I bought a loaded Polar metallic RT last week. I immediately went out and put nearly 600 miles on it the following day, and felt like I could have easily ridden another 600.

The handling of this bike continues to amaze me. It is so flickable and stable in the corners compared to my ST, and I find myself carrying noticebly more speed. I had a good friend along with me riding his FJR, and typically we are evenly matched through tthe corners. However, with the RT I put a good deal of distance on him, and the tighter the corners, the more that distance increased.

On the highway, the RT's superior wind protection makes a noticeable difference in comfort, and the cruise control is a VERY appreciated option, as is the stereo.

Very pleased with the move to the RT, and will post pics soon.

Not asking the price, but wondered if you got a bit of a break off MSRP? Congrats and hope no issues at all for you with it.

JDP

I saw a 2010 RT yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at some of the changes for the model year. The RT rider I spoke with in Ludlow, Vermont had previously owned an R1150RT, which is the RT that turned me off to the model with its coarse motor. He claims the new twin cam motor fixes the driveability and vibration issues he had with the 1150. It sounds less like a Waring blender, too. My Versys has given me a greater appreciation of a twin, so who knows. Guess I'd have to ride one to know.

Not asking the price, but wondered if you got a bit of a break off MSRP? JDP

The reaason Honda sometimes gives bigger breaks on MSRP is they have made a bigger mistake in production numbers when guessing demand :bow1:.

Yes you can profit from manufacturer mistakes - my son just purchased a BRAND NEW 2007 VFR with bags for $7999 ($6999 without bags). The dealer had 2 of them just out of the crate. :D On the flip side I'd hate to be trying to sell a used one :(.

Good luck finding any BMW dealer with a left over 2008 let alone 2 2007's.;)

IMG_0483.JPG

The reaason Honda sometimes gives bigger breaks on MSRP is they have made a bigger mistake in production numbers when guessing demand :bow1:.

Yes you can profit from manufacturer mistakes - my son just purchased a BRAND NEW 2007 VFR with bags for $7999 ($6999 without bags). The dealer had 2 of them just out of the crate. :D On the flip side I'd hate to be trying to sell a used one :(.

Good luck finding any BMW dealer with a left over 2008 let alone 2 2007's.;)

IMG_0483.JPG
Well Tom, the last time I was at BMW Daytona they had a pant load of 650 X-series models they introduced in 2005 or so. They were advertising brand new in the crate 2 and 3 year old models on the back page of BMW ON owner's new magazine a few months ago for $5000 or about $4000 off MSRP. I think they had 40 of various ones. They also had prior year K1200 nakeds (K1200S?)and the half faired 800 (800S?) on the floor. BMWNA must prohibit pricing and model availability on their website as it just shows 2008 & 2009 Ducati for new left-over stock, no BMW.

Well Tom, the last time I was at BMW Daytona they had a pant load of 650 X-series models they introduced in 2005 or so. They were advertising brand new in the crate 2 and 3 year old models on the back page of BMW ON owner's new magazine a few months ago for $5000 or about $4000 off MSRP.....

Well Dave, :p:

Not sure your point other than proving mine :D; while throwing dirt bikes into the mix. ;)

Yes there are discounted 09 Sport-Touring BMW's to be found. :)

Tom

Well Dave, :p:

Not sure your point other than proving mine :D; while throwing dirt bikes into the mix. ;)

Tom
The point was you can easily find left over BMWs if they are ones no one wants - like 2006 VFRs 0r 2006 XCountrys. The X series was offroad styled but not off road serious, kind of like a runt GS. Not really a dirt bike. And the S bikes are road bikes but you know that.

Go change your brake fluid or check your valves, you are getting grumpy. :)

Back
Top Bottom